My new Z 14-24 S

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Great shot @jhallettbc, refection pics are amazing with that lens! I love the z14-24, first lens I bought when I upgraded to the Z9. Unfortunately, I live in the 600mm FL most of the time so that amazing lens gets to hold down the fort in my bag too much. You get what you wanted out of your Australia trip in Feb?

@jhallettbc , this is exactly my case! I had F-mount 14-24 and I even took it with me to Africa many times! But it was big and heavy. Meanwhile I have two Z-cameras and sold my F-mount. And I am thinking about Z-mount 14-24 for about 1 year already. Actually, I sold F-mount becasue of it. But still cannot decide to buy Z-mount.
At the moment I use 24/1,4 Sigma and 18/2.8 Zeiss Batis ...
This year I planned some spots in Africa where I have an excellent nightscape opportunity! I used 14-24 primarely for nightscapes.
You told you are going to Australia! How good it is for nightscapes! Do you know a youtube channel "Nightscape Images" from Richard Tati? It is quite a famous channel and he is living in Australia, he is talking also about good locations. I'd recommend to have a look!
And please, please, post your images and make a review about z14-24 for nightscapes and astrophotograpohy when you are back!
I would be interested in how you found the 14-24mm for Astro work as well.

Here in south-central USA - tonight can be a wonderful night to expose the Milky if the sky is clear, 10:30PM to 4:30AM. I may give it a go.
Yes, the 14-24 offers a wider view (or 14-30) but the 20mm 1.8 (I use 2.0 or 2.2) can do it so well too. It's a night vision machine.

Last edited:
Reactions: seh
It's such a great lens. The only zoom I own that obviates my need for a prime in its range.
The only?
I see the same with the whole trinity.
24-70 & 70-200 are both superb zooms.

The above photo is at 24mm which supposed to be the weakest point on the 14-24

Last edited:
It smaller and lighter is better for you, then get the 14-30. I personally don't find the Z14-24 too big after having owned the F 14-24. I found it so heavy and big, I hardly ever used it.
I'm very happy with the 14-30--wishing for for opps to use it.

The only?
I see the same with the whole trinity.
24-70 & 70-200 are both superb zooms.

The above photo is at 24mm which supposed to be the weakest point on the 14-24
What I mean is that I don't own other modern primes in that range, the 14-24 is that good. Above 24, I'd rather use a prime unless I'm in a situation where I can't change lenses and need several lengths (eg shooting a car in the tropics last week, where the 70-200 ruled).

I have followed the Thom Hogan lens recommendations except in the telephoto ranges where Steve Perry’s reviews are more relevant and interesting for me.

Thom Hogan rates the 14-24mm as one of the relatively few lenses rated as exceptional.

I have followed the Thom Hogan lens recommendations except in the telephoto ranges where Steve Perry’s reviews are more relevant and interesting for me.

Thom Hogan rates the 14-24mm as one of the relatively few lenses rated as exceptional.
I like to try everything my self, do my own R&D, come to a conclusion what works for me. Then I read what others have to say about it.

The 14-30/4 Is a supposed to be a great lens, but I didn’t like it.

The tiny 28mm muffin lens, is supposed to be less then stellar on reviews, but I have wall hangers from shots taken with a Z30 with this lens.

Buying because reviewers recommend, isn’t a good idea. Use the reviewer to help gather information, then make your own educated decision.

My 2 cent..

I bought a lot of Z lenses over the past two years. I have learned to trust certain reviewers and I tend to listen to what they say. I find Steve Perry’s reviews to be the most honest and reliable. For lenses that are not wildlife specific I usually find Thom Hogan’s opinions persuasive.

Back