My selection process (so far) for upgrading from a D-500/500pf

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Essentially, my question about the R7 comes down to these:
"To what extent will rolling shutter @ 30F/S be apparent with 'Pro capture' (1/2 sec preclick) enabled?"
"Is the EV ok for me?"

Conclusions
-------------
1-Numerous reports and images show that the autofocus is superb with options equal to anything out there.
2-15 f/s is not 20 but good enough for normal work. Compressed RAW is not a problem. I will need to back off a bit from what I do with a D-500 but this is not a problem.
3-The Canon 100-500 is not a 600E F/4 but roughly comparable to my D-500. The 50% more MP is nice.

The regular Canon raw is lossless compressed, they don't offer uncompressed. The c-raw is more compressed and supposed to be slightly lossy, but when I've looked side by side on my RP files (26 mp) I can't see the impact.

In deciding to upgrade my D-500/500pf combo I considered three factors:

• Weight. The R7/100-500 rig is 4.3# if the lens foot is not added. The D-500/500pf is 5.1#. A third consideration, the Sony A1/200-600 is 7# (Weights approximate) while a 4th, a Canon R5/100-500 is 5#.
  • Cost. The R7/100-500 is $4.3K. The Sony A1/200-600 is $9.5K. A third consideration, the Nikon Z-9/800pf is $12K (Prices approximate)
  • One camera solution. The non-compound lenses often require carrying a second camera/lens combo. On the South Padre Island boardwalks, I carried a second D-500/70-300dx. In the blinds at the ranch a D-500/300pf was in residence and was often useful.
If weight and cost were not an issue I would pick the Z-9/800pf without question and carry a D-500 with a shorter lens. In my view 800mm is the correct lens for a full frame camera. The professional I shot with who had an A1/200-600 had a T/C mounted virtually 100% of the time and did another professional I shot with who used a Canon R5/100-500.

However, if weight and cost were only somewhat of an issue, I would choose the Sony A1/200-600 and eschew the T/C. An additional benefit is that the Sony is a one camera solution.

Default solution

In my case I concluded that a one camera solution was a requirement. I had significant issues carrying the two camera Nikon D-500 solution on the easy walking South Padre Island Birding Center boardwalks. I tried many carry solutions without success. Simply stated, it wasn’t fun. Understand that I am 81, overweight and under exercised. Your mileage may vary.

The zero cost, one camera solution, is, of course, to pick one camera configuration, presumably the D-500/500pf rig, and live with it. However, with a small weight penalty I could upgrade to a D-850. That would give me both a 500mm and 700mm (DX crop), rig from one setup for about $1500 or so outlay and virtually no learning curve. That does seem superior to the D-500 one camera solution. Therefore, in my case, the comparison is between a D-850/500pf versus one of the single-camera zoom lens configurations or a Z-9/800pf setup without a second camera.

Weight

I eliminated the Z-9/800pf simply on the basis of weight. Cost was an issue but if the weight was about 5# the Z-9/800pf may well have been the winner. My analysis is that the Z-9/800pf would take the best pictures of the group as long as 800mm in a Full Frame rig was not too long. However, I experienced carrying 9# of camera/lens (D-500/500pf, D-500/70-300dx) in the SPI boardwalks and did not like it at all. Also, the fixed lens was also a problem, 500mm (750mm FX equivalent) being too long is some situations on the boardwalks and in the Ranch blinds.

Canon R7 vs R5

Shooting the 500pf on a cropped D-500, I find myself cropping most of the time so 500mm on a 45mp full frame sensor seems short. However, 500mm on a 1.6 crop, 32.5mb R7 sensor reaches the 800mm equivalent and allows for the cropping that I do. This, plus faster shots/sec in both mechanical and electronic shutter led me to choose the R7 over the R5. The weight difference was not insignificant also.

Shooting the R7

I think I need four distinct configurations:

• Bird Portrait: mechanical shutter, auto ISO, 1/1600, lowest f/stop available, small AF rectangle
  • Bird takeoff (waiting): electronic shutter, animal eye tracking engaged, pre-click engaged, auto iso, 1/3200+, lowest F/stop available, large rectangle AF
  • BIF1: Mechanical shutter, 1/3200, auto iso, large rectangle AF, lowest f/stop available
  • BIF2: Electronic shutter 1/4000, auto ISO, largest AF, pre click not engaged, lowest F/stop available
The problem is that I admit that I am guessing.
Although Canon will probably be releasing a R1 - The Sony A1 and Z9 are easily the superior cameras.
As for weight the A1 , I found a battery grip necessary which made it about the same size/weight as the Z9.
If you need a 800mm lens then for the price and because of the weight the new Nikkor 800mm PF would be very hard to beat at the price.
Have a look at the lenses you are considering before deciding.
The 500mm PF lens works at least as well on the Z9 as on a DSLR and therefor could save money until you buy the 800mm... 🦘

Yes, this is very interesting territory. After turning down my Z9 in grounds of weight I have looked favourably and extensively at OM1 as an option. But ..
I hope this does not come off as brand bashing as it is not my intent here. I have considered the OM-1 and I spent quite a bit of time on Flickr looking at images shot with this camera and a host of different lenses. The one thing I noticed was that in a fairly high percentage of photos the out of focus backgrounds was not pleasing to my eye. I cannot put my finger on it as anything specific but just not "beautiful".
Like Jeff I couldn’t find the busy background images pleasing in many images posted, and you do need to multiply the f stop by x2. I would love to find it the contrary as I do like their diminutive size and weight and pro capture options. I might even try one to keep me busy until the Z8/ Z7iii. 😊 But even then perhaps a Sony A1 and 200-600 is a better option. I would probably resell to return to a one make system, and I love the Z7ii for landscapes etc

The OM-1 + the 300 f/4 comes in @ 4.55# for $5K + tax etc
The R7 + 100-500 f/7.1 (f/6.3 @ about 450mm) comes in at 4.35# (or 4.75# if the lens foot is included) for $4.4K +tax etc.

These are the two less than 5# rigs that I have under consideration.

More "catalog ware"
OM-1 R-7
Sensor 20 MP 32.4MP
MShutter 10 (139 shots) 15 (187 shots)
E Shutter 20 (108 Shots) 30 (93 Shots)
E Shutter 50 (97 shots)
EVF 5.76 2.36 million dots (reviewers consider the r7 EVF wimpy)

Last edited:
More "catalog ware"
OM-1 R-7
Sensor 20 MP 32.4MP
MShutter 10 (139 shots) 15 (187 shots)
E Shutter 20 (108 Shots) 30 (93 Shots)
E Shutter 50 (97 shots)
EVF 5.76 2.36

Can you explain the evf numbers? I did notice the r7 was magnified 1.15, not sure how that will improve the view but maybe to a degree.

Last edited:
If I did the math right if you crop the R7 to OM1 dimensions, e.g. a 2.0 crop factor rather than the 1.6 you start with, you still get 20.5 megapixels.

The hands-on reviews that I have seen do not support these specs.

Electronic Shutter: Up to 30 fps at 32.5 MP for up to 126 Frames (JPEG) / 93 Frames (Raw)
Mechanical Shutter: Up to 15 fps at 32.5 MP for up to 224 Frames (JPEG) / 187 Frames (Raw)

SDXC ii cards write up to 250mb/sec (San Disk Extreme Pro) but others are much slower so that may explain it.

Last edited:
The hands-on reviews that I have seen do not support these specs.

Electronic Shutter: Up to 30 fps at 32.5 MP for up to 126 Frames (JPEG) / 93 Frames (Raw)
Mechanical Shutter: Up to 15 fps at 32.5 MP for up to 224 Frames (JPEG) / 187 Frames (Raw)

SDXC ii cards write up to 250mb/sec (San Disk Extreme Pro) but others are much slower so that may explain it.

That might possibly be c-raw which would be smaller files than the regular lossless compressed raw. The numbers below are what I've seen.

Max. Approx. 15 fps. with Mechanical shutter/1st curtain electronic speed maintained for 224 JPEG or 51 RAW images or 30 FPS with electronic shutter speed maintained for 126 JPEG or 42 RAW images

Back