My thoughts on the Sony 600mm prime

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

no doubt, it certainly looks good to me. all i can tell you is that one day about 2 years ago, i sat by the edge of a nearby lake, watching a pair of red-necked phalaropes go in circles for a couple of hours. the distance to them hardly changed (20-30'), and as they went round and round, i went through the base 600, added the 1.4x and the 2x. i did it with both my a9ii and a7Riv, and with my 200-600 also. lots and lots of shots.

i picked out the sharpest amongst them, and cropped to just the center 1/3 of the image (1/9th of the total pixels). on my monitor, for the a7Riv, that's pretty close to 100% view. then i moved them from Lightroom (which has limited zooming levels) to Photoshop, where i looked at the 1.4x at 100% and the 2x at 67%. viewed that way, i thought the cropped 1.4x images held a barely perceptible advantage over the 2x.

when people, such as yourself tell me, and show me a 100% crop, i'm never entirely sure how they got there and what i'm looking at. nor is it clear to me that what i'm looking at on my computer is the same as what you're looking at. computers, the internet, displays and software do lots of things behind the scene, so truth is, theres a lot of computer stuff i don't really understand. i would guess that you're vastly better at presenting a 100% crop that than i am, but because i'm not that good at LR, let alone PS, all i can do is defer to your expertise and believe your results were different than mine, which is what i was trying to do above. i offer my experience, to whatever level of knowledge i think i've gotten to, and i have no issues disagreeing with people who legitimately have different experiences. the world is complicated. if something i say rings true for someone, great. if not, great. and i'm open to being corrected when i'm wrong. your photo above looks very sharp, but i'd need a more critical, complete and compelling presentation to change my mind on this, especially since i'm old and very weight concious (i'm biased and lazy and don't want to carry the 2x also!).

maybe what i should do is take a few feathers, stick them in the ground, and repeat the test on a windless day. but i need to think through the most appropriate settings for the test, which i did on the fly back then, and i never really concluded that they were the best and fairest settings to compare. for example, when you add the 2x, the aperture is effectively smaller, so is it more appropriate to shoot that smaller aperture with the 1.4x also or change the ISO or shutter speed or some compromise approach...? not clear to me. in the field, i would normally shoot wide open, whatever that means for that lens combination, and i try to shoot ~1/(2xfocal length), depending. and then i let the ISO go where it needs to, to get the proper exposure. note that given that the 2x results in a smaller aperture (less light), and the longer focal length would recommend a faster shutter speed (less light), then the ISO needs to go significantly higher, and that produces more noise, and even with Topaz DeNoise (which i didn't have 2 years ago), its not clear how all that shakes out. like i said, whatever works for you. i'm not planning to carry my 2x anywhere any time soon.

When I tried a friends 600mm f4 on my A1 I tried it bare and with both TC’s . Subjects at the time was very limited . Focus speed with the x1.4 on was great and showed very little loss in IQ . With the x2 on focus was still very fast although the loss in IQ was now definitely more noticeable. With the x2 it’s more like when I have the 1.4 on the 200-600 . Loses that 3D pop and gives impression you need to adjust the sharpening sliders

no doubt, it certainly looks good to me. all i can tell you is that one day about 2 years ago, i sat by the edge of a nearby lake, watching a pair of red-necked phalaropes go in circles for a couple of hours. the distance to them hardly changed (20-30'), and as they went round and round, i went through the base 600, added the 1.4x and the 2x. i did it with both my a9ii and a7Riv, and with my 200-600 also. lots and lots of shots.

i picked out the sharpest amongst them, and cropped to just the center 1/3 of the image (1/9th of the total pixels). on my monitor, for the a7Riv, that's pretty close to 100% view. then i moved them from Lightroom (which has limited zooming levels) to Photoshop, where i looked at the 1.4x at 100% and the 2x at 67%. viewed that way, i thought the cropped 1.4x images held a barely perceptible advantage over the 2x.

when people, such as yourself tell me, and show me a 100% crop, i'm never entirely sure how they got there and what i'm looking at. nor is it clear to me that what i'm looking at on my computer is the same as what you're looking at. computers, the internet, displays and software do lots of things behind the scene, so truth is, theres a lot of computer stuff i don't really understand. i would guess that you're vastly better at presenting a 100% crop that than i am, but because i'm not that good at LR, let alone PS, all i can do is defer to your expertise and believe your results were different than mine, which is what i was trying to do above. i offer my experience, to whatever level of knowledge i think i've gotten to, and i have no issues disagreeing with people who legitimately have different experiences. the world is complicated. if something i say rings true for someone, great. if not, great. and i'm open to being corrected when i'm wrong. your photo above looks very sharp, but i'd need a more critical, complete and compelling presentation to change my mind on this, especially since i'm old and very weight concious (i'm biased and lazy and don't want to carry the 2x also!).

maybe what i should do is take a few feathers, stick them in the ground, and repeat the test on a windless day. but i need to think through the most appropriate settings for the test, which i did on the fly back then, and i never really concluded that they were the best and fairest settings to compare. for example, when you add the 2x, the aperture is effectively smaller, so is it more appropriate to shoot that smaller aperture with the 1.4x also or change the ISO or shutter speed or some compromise approach...? not clear to me. in the field, i would normally shoot wide open, whatever that means for that lens combination, and i try to shoot ~1/(2xfocal length), depending. and then i let the ISO go where it needs to, to get the proper exposure. note that given that the 2x results in a smaller aperture (less light), and the longer focal length would recommend a faster shutter speed (less light), then the ISO needs to go significantly higher, and that produces more noise, and even with Topaz DeNoise (which i didn't have 2 years ago), its not clear how all that shakes out. like i said, whatever works for you. i'm not planning to carry my 2x anywhere any time soon.
There really are a lot of factors that go into it. There are environmental factors, such as heat distortion, there are varies in technique (many can't manage a 1200mm lens very well), there are variances in gear, there are variances in conditions (quality of light, light levels, shutter speeds you can use), and I'm sure a couple I'm forgetting about :)

Still, I think it's worth giving your 2X another try. FWIW, for the screen shot of the fox, I simply zoomed into 100% in Lightroom and took a screen shot of the eye (then saved it as a JPEG).

Also, remember that the 2X will never be as sharp as the bare lens and I do see a difference between the shots. However, the 2X can provide incredibly good sharpness and - for me - is typically better than cropping. Also, sometimes you do need to play with sharpening a bit to bring it in. A slightly soft image that's not really out of focus can usually be saved with a bit of careful sharpening - this usually applies more to the 2X when I'm shooting in flat, overcast (often dim) light than when there is some direction and contrast to the light.

Except for putting on and taking off the 1.4TC (I also own the 2.0 but haven’t tried it yet. I will now after reading Steve’s comments) it’s the only lens that touches my A1. Any other lens I use goes on the 7RIV.

And as happy as I’ve been when using the 1.4, when I remove it and use the bare lens there is for me - subtly- more of an ‘ahhhh’ quality to both the handling and the images.

I was talking to another wildlife photographer yesterday and the cost of the A1/600 combo came up. I told him it was the biggest financial indulgence of my life and that while I can have buyers remorse over a pair of jeans I’ve never had a moment of second guessing the purchase.

Great to hear you are loving the lens. It is a big leap to make spending that much on a lens but like you I love mine. It is by far the best lens I have ever owned and I shoot 90% of my wildlife images with it. I also have the 400GM and it has its use cases but like Steve I don't use converters to get it to do what my 600 already can. They all have their use cases.

I am also one who has had nice results with the 600GM and the 2x. I haven't tried the 2x on the 400 yet but I have on the 70-200GM MKII and it is amazing!

Except for putting on and taking off the 1.4TC ... it’s the only lens that touches my A1. Any other lens I use goes on the 7RIV.

And as happy as I’ve been when using the 1.4, when I remove it and use the bare lens there is for me - subtly- more of an ‘ahhhh’ quality to both the handling and the images.

I was talking to another wildlife photographer yesterday and the cost of the A1/600 combo came up. I told him it was the biggest financial indulgence of my life and that while I can have buyers remorse over a pair of jeans I’ve never had a moment of second guessing the purchase.

Agree 100%, except for myself the other lenses are used on the a7RIII (and I'm scheming a way to trade for a second a1).

I hve the A1 + 200-600G lens, and am saving up for the 600GM. Can there be credibility in statements (by anyone) that the 200-600G lens has "almost equal" image quality as the 600GM?

I would be very disappointed if this were the case. I have used lenses like the Sigma 500mm f4S, the Nikon 500PF and the Canon 400mm f4DOII. All of these lenses were significantly better than the 200-600G, with regards to (micro contrast), subtlety of color rendering, fine detail rendering, quality of bokeh, and more things.
In good direct contrasty daylight, the 200-600G is quite ok., but in lesser light the images quickly start to look flat, lack sparkle and fine crispness. Also the colors are not that subtle, bold and saturated, but lacking depth and nuance.

Not meaning to speak ill of the 200-600G, for its money it is a cracking lens, but if the 600GM is not a few good steps better in the ways described above, I would regret buying it. Should I try it out first?

I hve the A1 + 200-600G lens, and am saving up for the 600GM. Can there be credibility in statements (by anyone) that the 200-600G lens has "almost equal" image quality as the 600GM?

I would be very disappointed if this were the case. I have used lenses like the Sigma 500mm f4S, the Nikon 500PF and the Canon 400mm f4DOII. All of these lenses were significantly better than the 200-600G, with regards to (micro contrast), subtlety of color rendering, fine detail rendering, quality of bokeh, and more things.
In good direct contrasty daylight, the 200-600G is quite ok., but in lesser light the images quickly start to look flat, lack sparkle and fine crispness. Also the colors are not that subtle, bold and saturated, but lacking depth and nuance.

Not meaning to speak ill of the 200-600G, for its money it is a cracking lens, but if the 600GM is not a few good steps better in the ways described above, I would regret buying it. Should I try it out first?
I don’t think there’s any question that it’s a big step up. I have the 100-400GM and there’s a huge difference. Subject isolation/pop, sharpness and the ability to shoot in lower light being 3 areas. That said, to ge the most out of it, it’s still up to the photographer to use it to it’s strengths.

Yes the 600GM as expected is better. Now with that said for subject sharpness the 200-600 is a heavy hitter in good light and center of frame. However, when looking at color, corner to corner sharpens, faster AF, better with TC, contrast, the extra subject isolation, contrast etc. the 600 is by far above the 200-600. It is also a lot more expensive. I started with the 200-600, it was the first Sony lens I bought to try out the a1 before moving to Sony last year. I still have the lens as it at times serves a purpose however when given the choice I will take my 600 or 400GM out unless the 200-600 makes more sense for versatility. Since I bought the 600GM in October last year I have used the 200-600 once.

Do a little searching on here there are some great threads comparing these as others have questioned if spending the extra money is really worth it. Also, search for the a1 threads as there is a bit of info for these two lenses found in them as well. If it is worth it really comes down to what is the 200-600 not giving you that you think the 600 will? What do you expect to gain with the 600GM? Are you comfortable with the cost and size? Just because something is technically better doesn't mean it is necessarily the best choice for you.

One of my first photos made with the 600 GM three years ago. By far the most expensive photo equipment purchase I've made to date. No regrets. It was a great lens with the a7rIII.

falper15.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

now with the a1 is a match made in photographic paradise
butswa10.jpg

drypil05.jpg

sphthy21.jpg

setnig07.jpg

I think you mean Sony did a good job getting the weight of the 600 down to Canon's level. The Canon 600 was released a year before the Sony 600.
I actually didn't mean either. Wasn't trying to refer to time and space, just to equal weights. I've shot both the Canon 600III and RF600 and the Sony is noticeably better balanced despite the weight being essentially equal. Some of that is probably because I used the 600III adapted and had to use the EF/RF adapter and of course the RF just has that extra "adapter" in the design. Optics were equally good on all three. The Canons provide slightly more magnification even at further distances but it is probably only 10mm or so.

If Nikon sticks a 1.4TC in the Z600/4 and keeps weights around the Sony/Canon weight then Nikon wins the internet prize in my book.

It is bad that so late companies introduce in built TCs into primes. It seems like a no brainer, as this makes primes so much more vertisile. Gret decision by Nikon. Seems canon will follow. What will sony do? What will 600mm GM owners do once the 600TC GM will be introduced? Given the super high investment into the lens?

Having had a chance to play with 600GM - it is a great lens. And at least I can see a step up in every term from 200-600. It will not improve your photography 6 times. But it is a great piece of kit delivering the best image quality possible. It is every bit on par (if not better) than canon and nikon counterparts. That said I would be probably just as happy with nikon or caon gear of such caliber. Btw I have also had a chance to see 400 2.8 TC, 400 4.5 and 800 6.3 in person. Either a flexibility of a TC or super light weight. Brilliant kit as well.

It is bad that so late companies introduce in built TCs into primes. It seems like a no brainer, as this makes primes so much more vertisile. Gret decision by Nikon. Seems canon will follow. What will sony do? What will 600mm GM owners do once the 600TC GM will be introduced? Given the super high investment into the lens?

Having had a chance to play with 600GM - it is a great lens. And at least I can see a step up in every term from 200-600. It will not improve your photography 6 times. But it is a great piece of kit delivering the best image quality possible. It is every bit on par (if not better) than canon and nikon counterparts. That said I would be probably just as happy with nikon or caon gear of such caliber. Btw I have also had a chance to see 400 2.8 TC, 400 4.5 and 800 6.3 in person. Either a flexibility of a TC or super light weight. Brilliant kit as well.
As an owner of both the 400GM and 600GM if they do built in TC and if the IQ is equal to or better than the current removable TC I will upgrade both lenses.

As an owner of both the 400GM and 600GM if they do built in TC and if the IQ is equal to or better than the current removable TC I will upgrade both lenses.
I've played with the Nikon 400 2.8 TC and I agree 100%. If Sony did the same, I wouldn't be able to sell my glass fast enough to get the upgrade.

I hve the A1 + 200-600G lens, and am saving up for the 600GM. Can there be credibility in statements (by anyone) that the 200-600G lens has "almost equal" image quality as the 600GM?....
In my experience those who make claims that any zoom lens will produce equivalent IQ to a comparable length wide aperture prime are simply trying to rationalize their decisions and/or have never shot a prime and/or their technique is such that it really wouldn't matter. Whether the difference matters to a given individual is a different discussion.

I purchased this lens a couple months ago and was apprehensive about doing so du to the limitations with my arms. Upon receiving it, I must admit I was shocked by how lightweight and balanced it was compared to the F-mount 600mm. The size of the lens is about the same but the weight is drastically less. I have had the lens out several times and find it quiet easy to carry this lens and A1 on my Cotton Carrier vest for 2-4 miles with no issues. I always take my monopod or tripod with me whenever going out with this lens. There are a few things that stood out right away when shooting including, speed of focus, speed of acquired focus and tracking ability. I have the 200-600 & 100-400mm lenses and love those two lenses. In fact, the 200-600 was what got me to leave Nikon in the first place. There are a few things I'd like to point out to potential buyers of this lens as follows.

Reasons to buy:
1-Low light shooting
2-Tracking and focus ability
3-Weight
4-Use with a teleconverter or at least the 1.4x which is all I have
5-Great image quality

Reasons not to buy:
1-This lens will not make your photos drastically better
2-This albeit is lightweight for a 600mm, it's still a massive lens to carry, haul and store
3-If the majority of your shots are 600mm or less
4-If you seldom or never use teleconverters
5-If the majority of your shooting is in great light

Having said all that, it is a phenomenal lens. There is one thing I wish were different and that is for the focus ring to be slightly more forward. I felt with the 500mm PF grabbing the focus ring was just natural and extremely easy to grab. I find this focus ring for me is awkward and perhaps its because I have the longer Wimberley foot. I don't regret buying the lens and really like it. I plan on keeping the other two zooms and use them frequently. I still say if I had to pick one lens out of all the lenses I own to be the only lens I could ever have, it would be the 200-600mm almost tied with the 100-400mm. In my opinion, these two zooms produce exceptional images and I would dare say the 100-400 is nearly as good as the prime.
Thanks for the candid evaluation of the Sony 600mm. I too was blown away by the exceptional quality and IQ of the Sony 100-400 and 200-600 Sony lenses. Even though I have a Nikon D6 and 500/4 combo, I find myself heading out the door with my a9ll or a1 with the 200-600 90% of the time. The Sony 100-400 is my “go to“ lens for closeup work like flowers and other Macro type shots. The 100-400 + the TC 1.4 is an outstanding combination. I'll probably not purchase the Sony 600 mm due to my age and physical limitations, but would not hesitate to recommend the lens to others based on the images I’ve seen from users of that lens.

Last edited:
Proud owner of the FE 400mm f/2.8 chosen in preference to the 600mm. I have found two critiques of both primes is the clumsy lens cap & the size of the Hood. It can act as a sail plus significantly increasing the length & diameter requiring unique travel bags. I came across a solution that now allows me to fit the 400mm into a more regular sized camera bag that I would recommend being a custom made hood and cap approx. half the size.

Thanks for the candid evaluation of the Sony 600mm. I too was blown away by the exceptional quality and IQ of the Sony 100-400 and 200-600 Sony lenses. Even though I have a Nikon D6 and 500/4 combo, I find myself heading out the door with my a9ll or a1 with the 200-600 90% of the time. The Sony 100-400 is my “go to“ lens for closeup work like flowers and other Macro type shots. The 100-400 + the TC 1.4 is an outstanding combination. I'll probably not purchase the Sony 600 mm due to my age and physical limitations, but would not hesitate to recommend the lens to others based on the images I’ve seen from users of that lens.
I agree wholeheartedly about the 100-400 with the 1.4tc. It’s a fantastic combination. I shoot a ton of macro during the spring and summer and I truly adore the 100-400. I think it’s one of the best lenses Sony makes.

Proud owner of the FE 400mm f/2.8 chosen in preference to the 600mm. I have found two critiques of both primes is the clumsy lens cap & the size of the Hood. It can act as a sail plus significantly increasing the length & diameter requiring unique travel bags. I came across a solution that now allows me to fit the 400mm into a more regular sized camera bag that I would recommend being a custom made hood and cap approx. half the size.

The 600 doesn’t have a lens cap but not sure about the 400mm. I’d like to get a shorter hood in the future.

When I first replaced my 500mm f/4 with a 600mm f/4 lens it was great for places like Yellowstone but limiting in places like Costa Rica where camera to subject distances were much less. A 500mm that can be used as a 500mm f/4, 700mm f/5.6, or a 1000mm f/8 lens works better if you want to include a subject's environment as much as possible.

Now my kit will consist of a 100-400mm, 400mm f/4.5 and two teleconverters, and the 800mm PF. When the 600mm was a good choice it was nearly always with a 1.4x teleconverter attached for a 840mm effective focal length (and the 800mm f/6.3 is 2 lbs lighter).

The introduction of computers made a huge difference in lens design, both with regard to optics and material construction. It made today's zoom lenses and lightweight PF lenses and digital cameras possible and affordable.

Back