Nasty experience with upgrading to latest Lightroom Classic

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Wink Jones

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I was getting ready to leave for three days to go to McCall, Idaho for my nephew's wedding. I turned on Lightroom to do something and it informed me I needed to upgrade my catalog.

No big deal, I turned it on to upgrade and left the room.

When I came back to the room, I discovered that many of my collections were missing, and in fact, just about every thing done in the last year was gone. Oh, the pictures were there, but many were lost and were showing the dreaded ! sign for missing photos. I spent several hours prior to going to bed searching and finding them, but could not get my collections back. I worked on it for a few hours the next day, then I noticed I was using an old catalog. I have no idea how that happened and I had no current catalogs on my computer at home.

I ran out of time and left for McCall. When I got back I went looking for a more current library and found one done on 10/5 since the one created on 10/10 was the copy of upgrading a year old catalog. Sheesh.

I learned two important things:

1. Save the current catalog before trusting Adobe not to mess it up...

2. It was a VERY good thing I had an on line backup . When I got back today, I logged in on line, downloaded the latest catalog I could find, which was 10/5.

Yes, I did a lot of work between 10/5 and 10/10 and that work is gone, but fortunately I had exported the prints I wanted to print, and I can redo it if I feel like it. I know it is most likely something that I caused. How did I know my computer and Adobe would be offended by me leaving the room?

For what it is worth, I had a great time in McCall. I hiked in the forest every day and took some family pictures for my brother before the wedding. They came out great and the colors around the lake were fantastic.

Yes, I did a lot of work between 10/5 and 10/10 and that work is gone, but fortunately I had exported the prints I wanted to print, and I can redo it if I feel like it. I know it is most likely something that I caused. How did I know my computer and Adobe would be offended by me leaving the room?

I am surprised at the missing pictures. Do you mean, that the files are deleted from the computer drive? Or is it that they are not included in the catalogue?

I have upgraded from 12.5 to 13 with no apparent issues. (W11, Intel 13-th generation, SSD drive for catalogue)

The pictures are all in the drive, but without the catalog Lightroom does not know where some of them are. With the 10/5 catalog, they are all now found...

I have upgraded many times with no issue, but if I had thought to close lightroom and save the catalog it would have been painless to fix what ever it was that went wrong.

If you mean the work I did between 10/5 and 10/10, that was editing work. Those edits are lost and will need to be redone if I wanted to have them again. I had fortunately exported the prints I wanted.

Last edited:
FWIW I backup once a day when I close the current catalog (I only have the one). If you have already backed up that day it will not ask to do it again. Under Catalog Settings/General there is are options to prompt you to backup on a schedule that suits you. Occasionally I go to the backup folder and delete older backups always keeping the most recent 5-10 backups. This has saved my bacon several times!

As info I upgraded to Lightroom 13 on my laptop and my desktop. My desktop had issues and kept crashing when I tried to reopen Lightroom. I had to uninstall and then reinstall Lightroom to fix the issue.

Back