Need advice for choosing printing paper

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

There are some nuances to the comment about gloss papers crushing blacks. This certainly can be a problem but it is not necessarily so. Many photo printers have three black inks, photo black, matte black and grey. It is easier to get more subtle dark shades with multiple inks. One approach is o address this is post processing. I have multiple monitors and keep one calibrated a D5000 rather than the more common D6500. This essentially "lightens" images on the screen. I use this monitor for reviewing images to print. Brightening before printing helps but this brightens the entire photo and may not be the effect you want. Using levels or curves adjustment in PS or targeted adjustment to the blacks in LR can give a more subtle correction. With my printer, when Blacks get closer than 3 to 4 % of pure black, I will have problems printing on gloss papers. Otherwise, the blacks come out OK on gloss papers. Most of my printing is with a Canon P300. Another thought, if you enter print competitions, in many cases the higher scoring images will be on gloss paper. Reflections are not a consideration because the prints will be judges in "perfect" or carefully managed light. At club levels where lighting may vary luster papers may be a better choice.

Blacks are a balance. One of the biggest kickouts in PPA competitions is the blacks are not really black. If you have an image that has a lot of shadow detail, it may take several prints to get what you want. Shadow detail is a little light in the dark areas. If you darken the blacks AND shadows too far, the detail is gone. If you manipulate it the wrong way, the dark areas end up noisy. And if you push the darks to a true black, you may lose desired detail. All of this is in the context of the paper, inks, and printer being used.

I think part of the reason glossy prints are blamed for faulty blacks is because the glossy print allows you to see detail in the shadows very clearly, and if you lack detail where it is desired, or your blacks are not dark enough, it's pretty obvious.

Normally I edit with a white background because it lets me see that my print is bright enough against a white mat. You could do the same thing with blacks - use a black background and watch your histogram. It will make it easier to see blacks that are not dark enough or detail in shadows.

So, I tried the WHCC metal print white semi gloss. 12x18
It’s WOW!!!

Captured with my iPhone. From the side and front showing the reflection and of the 5k hallway LED bulb.

The colors are real and life like, I can see the dark green in the silhouette of the sunrise. I can stand and stare in front of it. I feel like I’m sitting right there on the boat.

My personal nature is very much reflecting. A photo on the wall isn’t just decoration, It’s bringing back the good feeling of being there, I can experience the emotions again.

My wifes priority is art, symmetrical, triangles, etc. For me, it’s all about telling a story, when I look on it, I’m there again.

Gazing on the image on the top left tree are two Osprey’s in their nest.

I don’t know if I ever want to print paper again… this looks like a high-end monitor.

IMG_8317.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
IMG_8316.jpeg

So, I tried the WHCC metal print white semi gloss. 12x18
It’s WOW!!!

Captured with my iPhone. From the side and front showing the reflection and of the 5k hallway LED bulb.

The colors are real and life like, I can see the dark green in the silhouette of the sunrise. I can stand and stare in front of it. I feel like I’m sitting right there on the boat.

My personal nature is very much reflecting. A photo on the wall isn’t just decoration, It’s bringing back the good feeling of being there, I can experience the emotions again.

My wifes priority is art, symmetrical, triangles, etc. For me, it’s all about telling a story, when I look on it, I’m there again.

Gazing on the image on the top left tree are two Osprey’s in their nest.

I don’t know if I ever want to print paper again… this looks like a high-end monitor.

View attachment 87646View attachment 87647
Now you know why all of the things I print with the lab I use McKenna Pro is on metal. I do not do decorator stuff in the apartment instead it is wall papered in aluminum :) I use a variety of finishes from them depending on the print and how much reflection I want.

Now you know why all of the things I print with the lab I use McKenna Pro is on metal. I do not do decorator stuff in the apartment instead it is wall papered in aluminum :) I use a variety of finishes from them depending on the print and how much reflection I want.
I want to try a matel print in matt.

I want to try a matel print in matt.
I have done a few in matte ... McKenna Pro finishes: I do more semi-gloss than anything but it depends on the image. They have a wide range of mounts and frames ... most often I just use the sawtooth hanger mount. Their float frames are spendy but nice.
  • https://mckennapro.com/

• .045 ChromaLuxe™ metal prints available in four finishes. White base finishes are glossy (brilliant whites, high gloss), semi-gloss (similar to gloss, less glare), and matte (satin like, minimal glare). Clear base finish is metallic (metal shows through).

I’m not seeing this option
Can you link to a page?

Sorry to have mislead you! It is a paper choice not necessarily from WHCC. I print some of my own photos on Lustre Metallic from Red River Papers. If you have a photo printer, you should try their sample papers.

Sorry to have mislead you! It is a paper choice not necessarily from WHCC. I print some of my own photos on Lustre Metallic from Red River Papers. If you have a photo printer, you should try their sample papers.
I decided for now to leave the printing for printing professionals. I’m not printing wall hangers on a daily basis.

Question, Is printing on glossy paper the same effect as printing on metal?
The reason I ask, I don’t like glossy prints, it looks cheap and unrealistic, but I loved the metal 🤔
Each has its own look. There are images that look great on glossy paper. Some people like and others hate metallic prints. It's completely a matter of personal preference and personal taste.

I would not consider glossy and metallic to be the same. There is a different look. But both require very sharp images and proper editing. If your image is slightly soft, you can print on canvas or a textured paper and it's much less of an issue. That's not true on glossy or metallic.

Many of the prints by Ansel Adams and contemporaries were on glossy paper. Textured paper is a relatively recent trend. Metallic, acrylic, and prints on metal are all much more recent iterations.

Thanks Eric.
I already have this print in Fine Art luster. For R&D, I ordered this in:
Metal Print White Matte 16x24
IMG_8331.jpeg

-

I also wanted to try on this photo:
Fine Art Photo Rag Metallic 10x20
On 1/4" Black Foamboard
IMG_8333.jpeg

Let’s see what I get and how they look.

I’m trying foam board as a backing, because the other options are warping.

If the Metal in matte look good, I will replace all fine art lusture with metal, because its not going to warp, and I hope it can be dusted and slightly cleaned.

Last edited:
Thanks Eric.
I already have this print in Fine Art luster. For R&D, I ordered this in:
Metal Print White Matte 16x24
View attachment 87732

-

I also wanted to try on this photo:
Fine Art Photo Rag Metallic 10x20
On 1/4" Black Foamboard
View attachment 87733

Let’s see what I get and how they look.

I’m trying foam board as a backing, because the other options are warping.

If the Metal in matte look good, I will replace all fine art lusture with metal, because its not going to warp, and I hope it can be dusted and slightly cleaned.
That makes sense.

One potential issue. Metallic Paper is different from Metal prints which are actually prints on metal. I don't think durability and care are the same. If durability and no warping are your objectives, prints on metal or acrylic might be what you actually want. You can also have your metallic or other paper print mounted on a matboard for durability.

Most prints are ink jet inks applied to the surface of a paper of substrate. The other process for SOME acrylic and metal prints is to bond a printed material to a hard surface. Acrylic processes can have the image bonded to the underside of the acrylic, or bonded to the surface of the acrylic or metal.

My initial thought is that you want a print mounted on an acrylic surface but mounting on metal is an alternative if it is thick enough.

Another variable with metal is that the base can be white or the base can be the actual aluminum. So areas that are blown out on the white one would show white, but on the aluminum base it would show the actual aluminum color. Check out the options here. The sheer glossy and sheer sating show the metal as the substrate.

Back