Need another CFexpress card.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Currently have the Angelbird AV PRO SX 160gb. Yesterday I filled it in a single session. First time this has happened.

Was just going to get another one same.

Is it still the best value option for the Z9? (£157.49 at CVP)

Thanks.

I had to send back a 4TB AngelBird AV Pro - I simply do not trust this brand at all.
There are a host of alternatives -- but you get what you pay for. If shooting action or high-res work for paying clients -- I only use the top cards - like Delkin Black. That said the new Delkin G4 Power seems very good. Prograde Cobalt is equally good. I recently used a 2TB Sabrent Rocket Pro card and it was also very good and a little cheaper.
Genuinely I would not risk my work to a single cheap card. It is FAR FAR more expensive to have to reshoot, if that is possible at all, than to worry about a few $,0000s on cards.

It’s only anecdotal…but I’ve heard plenty of bad things about Angelbird cards…so I stayed away from them.
The only complaint I ever heard was some don't fit well in some camera bodies (at semi random, likely due to tolerance mis matches on the extreme ends for both the body and the card). Mine have worked fine, I'm 40k images in, plus some amount of 8k video (20 minutes spread out over time, along with some amount of 4k120, etc). Never had a problem yet.

The only complaint I ever heard was some don't fit well in some camera bodies (at semi random, likely due to tolerance mis matches on the extreme ends for both the body and the card). Mine have worked fine, I'm 40k images in, plus some amount of 8k video (20 minutes spread out over time, along with some amount of 4k120, etc). Never had a problem yet.
Like I said…anecdotal but I’ve seen more complaints about issues with them than just about all the other brands combined…so I figured after spending close to 9K on the Z8 and Z9…why cheap out on cards or 3rd party batteries. I carry 160GB-ish cards for both and spares in t(e bag and have never had a capacity problem…but if I was gonna do Africa or Costa Rica would get some larger ones as well so I didn’t need to erase on the trip despite having a laptop and external SSDs for backup…cards are cheap compared to the trip cost.

I’ve had good luck with Delkin Black (128 gb and 325 gb) and Prograde Cobalt (325 gb) cards. I have a few of the Delkin Black 128 gb cards that were available when first got my Z9 in January 2022. They work well and I usually have one in each of the Z9’s two slots, with the second slot set to overflow. That gives me a total of 256 gb for shooting. I’ve not run into that being a limit shooting stills in a single session (I have gone over to the second card a number of times in wildlife shooting). I generally use HE* for wildlife shooting, so that gives me smaller files. I use lossless compressed raw for landscape and other non-wildlife shooting. I also have a 325 gb Prograde Cobalt card. I put that in slot 2 when I plan to shoot video and direct video (and stills overflow) to the second card.

I think there is a more recent version of the Delkin Black cards, with the 128 gb model replaced by a 150 gb model, if memory serves. My cards are working well, so no need to replace them now.

With my Z8, the second slot is an SD slot. I leave it set to overflow and use a fast (at least for an SD card) 300 mb/s SD card in it (and do not direct video to it) in case I end up needing to use it. I bought some 325 gb Delkin Black cards when B&H had an attractive recent sale. Given I’d prefer not to use the SD slot, I wanted a bigger card for the CFe slot than what I have been using on my Z9 in slot one.

One thing I like about the Delkin Black and Prograde Cobalt cards is that they run cooler — in the camera and in a card reader — than some other cards (like the Sandisk Extreme Pro CFe Type B cards I bought for my Z7II that get noticeably warm, especially in the card reader).

Well I need a new card too. Just found out about 30 minutes ago.
The dog did a "fine job" chewing my Delkin Black - it's no longer readable (or even insertable).
It used to be just homework the dog ate..... :mad: :rolleyes:
My Labrador chewed up a Sandisk Extreme Pro CFe Type B card that I had accidentally dropped on the floor. Very glad he did not swallow it. The card held up pretty well to the chewing, but is unusable. Had not thought of this as a risk until it happened.

Currently have the Angelbird AV PRO SX 160gb. Yesterday I filled it in a single session. First time this has happened.

Thanks.
I use Delkin Black and ProGrade Cobalt (325Gb). Both run cool with no buffering problems on my Nikon Z9. Occasionally B&H has Delkin Black 325Gb cards for sale at $200 or so. Other brands may work equally well, but I can recommend these two without reservation.

My Labrador chewed up a Sandisk Extreme Pro CFe Type B card that I had accidentally dropped on the floor. Very glad he did not swallow it. The card held up pretty well to the chewing, but is unusable. Had not thought of this as a risk until it happened.
Yep, I had not even realized I dropped it. My dog is 11 pounds so no worries about swallowing it but those teeth did a number on the casing.
A very expensive reminder to not drop them....

Thanks.
"Best value option"? In the states, you can buy a Delkin 512GB Power card for $175 versus $130 for the Angelbird AV 160 GB card. The max write and read speeds are similar. I have been using a 2TB Delkin Power card in my Z9 and Z8 without any problems. I am sure the Delkin Power is not as good as a Delkin Black card, but seems to be a better "value option" then the Angelbird card?

i’m curious if one of you guys who have the damaged cards could post pictures of a dissection. it would be interesting to see if you could transplant the guts into one of those diy cases
I will try again tomorrow. I had a pretty much 100% shot (105 macro) but the card was not lying flat enough so it wasn't uniformly focussed.
But yes, I'd like to try an empty case...I see nothing wrong with the board itself.

I had to send back a 4TB AngelBird AV Pro - I simply do not trust this brand at all.
Just to say, I have two Angelbird SX 160GB and two SE 512 GB cards and I've never had the slightest bit of trouble with them. Back when the Z9 came out there were multiple reports of problems with older higher capacity Angelbird cards, but in my experience the newer SX and SE cards have been fine. I'll certainly let the community know if that changes. And for the record, I also have a Delkin Power 128 GB and it's also been reliable.
Peter

i’m curious if one of you guys who have the damaged cards could post pictures of a dissection. it would be interesting to see if you could transplant the guts into one of those diy cases
Here ya go...board only...the shell is fairly crumpled after prying it apart....

My NEF's are in there somewhere.... o_O :rolleyes::cry:

I've emailed Delkin explaining the situaiton and asking if it can be put back into an empty shell..I expect a somewhat amusing 'no' but we'll see...
Thankfully it was 'only' 64GB...

Delkin CFe-1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

"Best value option"? In the states, you can buy a Delkin 512GB Power card for $175 versus $130 for the Angelbird AV 160 GB card. The max write and read speeds are similar. I have been using a 2TB Delkin Power card in my Z9 and Z8 without any problems. I am sure the Delkin Power is not as good as a Delkin Black card, but seems to be a better "value option" then the Angelbird card?
Stuff is usually around 1$ to 1£.
Still making it more expensive in the UK. The CFexpress B cards seem to be much cheaper in the US. Not sure why?

I have heard back from Delkin and they don't want to try using the card in a new blank shell. (I was not surprised)
But they did say they want pics and a copy of the original receipt so they can replace the card....That did surprise me....
So, I'm going to send them the info they requested and get a replacement!!

Can't complain about this and in fact it's a big plus for buying Delkin....

Back