Need Help Deciding Between Two Cameras (d850 & z8)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi, I may not be adding much here but I own both the D850 and the Z8. Both are great cameras, albeit of different generations of technologies. My main wildlife lenses are the f mount 500mm 5.6 pf, the Z mount 600mm 6.3 pf and the Z mount 70-200mm 2.8 with either of the 1.4x or 2.0x extenders.

All that said, while I love taking my D850 out for old times sake, the Z8 basically leaves it in the dust on multiple fronts for wildlife or action - AF modes and subject/eye detection, frame rates, subject tracking and pre-capture (waiting on the raw option firmware update, Nikon). Its really an apples to oranges comparison, the Z8 is that far removed from DSLR tech. The only area where the D850 keeps up is image quality, IMO.

Also, the Z8 works fine with the original FTZ adapter (the cheaper option?) - although I don’t have the vertical grip so not sure if it fits in that config.

Good luck with your decision. As I said, both are great, but you can see where my bias lies.

There is no comparison between the S-mount lenses and their f-mount counterparts with the 80-400mm and 24-120mm and the new PF 800mm and 600mm lenses. I kept waiting for upgraded versions of these two f-mount lenses in particular and was only able to do so by going to the Z9 and the s-mount lenses.

The f-mount is dead. The last f-mount camera was the D6 introduced in 2020 and the last new f-mount Nikon lens was the 500mm PF introduced in 2018. The 600mm f/4E lens was introduced in 2015. Nikon cannot afford to devote resources for R&D and production of cameras and lenses for the f-mount.

Back