Need quick primer on Z9 video for dummies!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

janzin

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I know ElenaH just posted a similar question but she is way more advanced with video than me. I will confess I know ZERO about video, it's always intimidated me. But I am leaving for Kenya in just a few days and it occurred to me I'd like to try and shoot at least a few short clips with my Z9 (no special mic, no special lenses, just short clips to show friends or for Youtube) but I have no idea which settings I should be using.

What settings would be best to enable short clips that wouldn't need a ton of processing? MOV? MP4? What shutter speed should I be using? And there are so many resolution options it's bewildering! Obviously I'd stay away from 8K but if someone could just give me a basic option to start with I'd appreciate it....I don't have a lot of time to do much research.

In the end I may just throw up my hands but I would like to at least make a stab at it!

Thanks and be kind about my ignorance :)

Thanks, I was just looking at that thread but I still have a lot of questions.

For the moment I've set it for MP4 but that only gives me HD quality. I guess if I want 4K I need to set it to MOV? But I'm working on a PC so it would seem MP4 is better.

And what's the best frame rate? That thread suggests 4K60 for action, so for now I've got it at (I guess) HD/60.

Somewhere I read that shutter speed should be twice the frame rate, so I'll set it to 1/125?

One thing I can't figure out is how to set the Z9 to shoot video in JPG. Obviously I'm shooting stills in RAW. The Quality button, when I'm in Video mode, does nothing. And there seems to be no option for Quality (JPG vs RAW) in the controls for the "i" menu.

I'm sorry if all these are really stupid questions. I suppose I left this too late for this trip and maybe I should just shoot video with my iPhone :) but I'd like to at least try once or twice.

JPEG, TIFF, etc. are still image file formats. MOV, MP4 are video formats. You can't shoot video in JPEG.
Thanks! That explains a lot! I was confused because that thread (and others) talk about shooting video in RAW (and not to do it for a beginner.)

I know ElenaH just posted a similar question but she is way more advanced with video than me. I will confess I know ZERO about video, it's always intimidated me. But I am leaving for Kenya in just a few days and it occurred to me I'd like to try and shoot at least a few short clips with my Z9 (no special mic, no special lenses, just short clips to show friends or for Youtube) but I have no idea which settings I should be using.

What settings would be best to enable short clips that wouldn't need a ton of processing? MOV? MP4? What shutter speed should I be using? And there are so many resolution options it's bewildering! Obviously I'd stay away from 8K but if someone could just give me a basic option to start with I'd appreciate it....I don't have a lot of time to do much research.

In the end I may just throw up my hands but I would like to at least make a stab at it!

Thanks and be kind about my ignorance :)

This is a great question. I'll be watching to see if someone offers help as like you, I am clueless about video. I've been shooting Nikon cameras for years, and have never even turned the video on. However it seems that I should understand at least the basics. Most help seems to assume you already know how to do this stuff.

Back