Neutral Density Filters

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

As far as using both a CP and ND filter concurrently, I do that a lot for eastern US streams and waterfalls. Once you see images with and without a CP, you'll likely want to use a CP for most of your waterfalls and streams. The trick is to go to full polarization and then back off slightly so there is a little reflection rather than pure black water. Because you are stacking filters, there is also the risk of vignetting.

It's very rare for me to photograph waterfalls on a sunny day. In woodland settings I'm looking for wet, saturated rocks as well as the lower light of overcast or rainy days.

On the Nikon cameras there is no meaningful adverse impact of using Lo 1.0 ISO. You can also raise your aperture a stop or two if needed. So I'm using a CP (2 stops), Lo 1.0 (1 stop), and closing down my aperture a stop (1 stop) to get a full four stops before adding the ND filter. That's why I may not need an ND filter at all, or can use a 5-6 stop filter and nothing more.

On DSLR cameras I could also add in camera multiple exposures but today on Z cameras I need to blend images in post for an additional 3 stops of benefit (averaging to create a blend of 8 exposures is 3 stops). Exposure blends can include many more images. This can be useful for more than just time. For example, if you want to flatten out waves with a long exposure, you might get a better results by including a series of shorter exposures after the wave has broken. I've used a series of 5 second exposures with smaller waves and skipped the waves that were larger than average. Keep in mind that the time between exposures may matter so rather than a streams with moving leaves being smoothly blurred, it may show a series of short exposures with regular repetitions.

As far as using both a CP and ND filter concurrently, I do that a lot for eastern US streams and waterfalls. Once you see images with and without a CP, you'll likely want to use a CP for most of your waterfalls and streams. The trick is to go to full polarization and then back off slightly so there is a little reflection rather than pure black water. Because you are stacking filters, there is also the risk of vignetting.

It's very rare for me to photograph waterfalls on a sunny day. In woodland settings I'm looking for wet, saturated rocks as well as the lower light of overcast or rainy days.

On the Nikon cameras there is no meaningful adverse impact of using Lo 1.0 ISO. You can also raise your aperture a stop or two if needed. So I'm using a CP (2 stops), Lo 1.0 (1 stop), and closing down my aperture a stop (1 stop) to get a full four stops before adding the ND filter. That's why I may not need an ND filter at all, or can use a 5-6 stop filter and nothing more.

On DSLR cameras I could also add in camera multiple exposures but today on Z cameras I need to blend images in post for an additional 3 stops of benefit (averaging to create a blend of 8 exposures is 3 stops). Exposure blends can include many more images. This can be useful for more than just time. For example, if you want to flatten out waves with a long exposure, you might get a better results by including a series of shorter exposures after the wave has broken. I've used a series of 5 second exposures with smaller waves and skipped the waves that were larger than average. Keep in mind that the time between exposures may matter so rather than a streams with moving leaves being smoothly blurred, it may show a series of short exposures with regular repetitions.
Thanks Eric. That’s very helpful, particularly the idea of using a CP, reducing ISO to LO 1.0, and raising the aperture, to avoid a ND filter. I like the idea of using the CP with water, and where necessary a ND. I’ve never done any exposure blending but it sounds really interesting. I’m going on the NANPA trip to NY and expect we‘ll do a bunch of waterfalls. I’ve got some studying to do before the trip. Did you read the comment about the lens hood for the 14-24 (that takes a filter) also fits the 70-200 and the 24-70? I tried it and it’s correct. Based on that I bought a couple of the hoods and went with NISI 112mm CP and ND 6 filters. Hopefully this will reduce the risk of vignetting with the longer lenses and saved money on filters. I didn’t go with a ND 10 thinking I could control the light the way you’ve suggested above. Thanks again.

One key feature for me is the ND filter needs to block IR wavelengths. As you get to 10 stops and more of ND, the blocking on the sensor allows a little color cast from IR spectrum. Some brands of filters try to balance that with a color cast in the filter - which adds to problems. CP filters do not block IR at all, so variable ND filters are better used at low levels of ND. I also find that like CP filters, wide lenses do poorly with variable ND filters since variable filters use two polarizing films to achieve ND.

My filters are generally Formatt Hitech Firecrest filters. I carry a 5 stop and 10 stop filter for 77mm and a 5 stop only for 82mm filters.
Thank you for the tip on the Formatt Hitech Firecrest filters. They are on sale at a significantly reduced price on 9/10/2022.

Just chiming in with (adding my vote to) these points:
  • Just say no to variable NDs
  • Get the largest size, and use step rings for smaller filter sizes. That way, you only have one set of filters for all lenses
  • It's also best if you don't stack 2 to achieve a stronger ND

Chris

• Get the largest size, and use step rings for smaller filter sizes. That way, you only have one set of filters for all lenses

Chris
Thanks. On the new Nikon Z cameras, the same size lens hood (that takes filters) that fits the 14-24 also fits the 24-70 and 70-200, so I bought a couple NISI lens hoods for the 14-24 ( which are made of metal - excellent build quality), and NISI CP and ND (6-stop) filters. I had a CP for the 100-400 and bought a NISI ND for it. So, I’m really please and ready to roll!

Chris

Using step up rings is especially good for expensive filters that are infrequently used like ND filters. If that approach is a problem, you can always add 1-2 filters later. You can also use a step up ring on top of a base filter like a CP.

Chris's suggestion about avoiding stacking filters has two elements. You can get vignetting when you stack filters, and that's the main problem. But sometimes you can lose sharpness or encounter other optical issues, so you want to make sure stacking filters does not cause problems. As suggested above, you can prevent vignetting by combining a smaller filter and a larger filter with a step up ring. I might do this with a 5 stop filter for a lens I use frequently, but a 10 stop filter only for an 82mm filter size only but carry a stack of step up rings.

I’ve been doing more landscape photography recently and will be doing a Fall trip photographing waterfalls and other landscapes. Increasingly I’ve been learning about the need for neutral density filters, quite the opposite of what I’m used to. I need advice on what I’ll need to purchase to meet this need. I don’t want to purchase numerous filters for a half dozen lenses but I can’t think of an alternative. I’ve seen ads for adjustable ND filters, like Hoya, advertising a 9 stop adjustable ND filter. Anyway, any advice on how to slay the dragon with a quality solution will be appreciated.
Adjustable ND filters can double as a polarizer.
I'd recommend sticking with a good brand ND filter - some have a significant colour cast...🦘

Oh boy! Thinking about ND filters and asking this forum for advice! Some good answers in this thread. Beware - once you start down this track some whole new worlds can open up. Sunrise and sunset will cry out for for a grad filter as will spectacular lightning. The polariser for wet rocks and foliage is a no-brainer. If you get serious and carry a good tripod, camera and lenses to an amazing site then a set of good filters will add many creative opportunities. I forked out and bought the NiSi kit. Extra weight with the holder but excellent glass - and you know what they say about good glass. The kit comes with step-up rings for all the common lens sizes.

Oh boy! Thinking about ND filters and asking this forum for advice! Some good answers in this thread. Beware - once you start down this track some whole new worlds can open up. Sunrise and sunset will cry out for for a grad filter as will spectacular lightning. The polariser for wet rocks and foliage is a no-brainer. If you get serious and carry a good tripod, camera and lenses to an amazing site then a set of good filters will add many creative opportunities. I forked out and bought the NiSi kit. Extra weight with the holder but excellent glass - and you know what they say about good glass. The kit comes with step-up rings for all the common lens sizes.
Yeah, I’m on the path! Started with a 112mm NISi CP and ND 6 stop filters that work on three lenses. Here I go!

Back