New 28-400mm superzoom Nikkor to be announced

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am interested in this lens as an easy carry with my Z6. Will see what the minimum focus distance is and the f-stop range. If reasonably priced, I expect to add one of these to my collection. It will be "good enough" for many casual purposes like walks in the park and family gatherings (outdoors), little grandkids soccer games and more.

It would be good to have a Z version of the f-mount 28-300mm f/5.6 zoom lens. I owned the f-mount lens and it was great for travel where I was not going to be photographing wildlife and it worked exceptionally well for shooting video.
Yes, it was my go to lens. Sharp through-out the zoom.

It could be a nice addition to use as an all-around walk-around lens for my Z8, when I don't want to be burdened by heavy bulky equipment. So aside from the price and f-stop range and sharpness of the lens, I'd be interested in its size and weight. Right now for that kind of easy walk-around camera, I will use the Z8 or the Z7ii along with the 24-200 f4-6.3. That lens weighs 20 oz and is 4.5 inches long. The other option is the 100-400 f4.5-5.6 and that lens is 50 oz and 8 inches long. There is also the 70 - 80 f2.8 which is pretty compact at 28 oz and 6 inches long. So I'll wait to see where this new lens falls.

I like my 24-200. It needs f/8 at 200mm for good corners, and you have to be careful not to place CA-prone stuff in the corners at any aperture. Minor limitations for such flexibility.

If I hope against hope, perhaps the 28-400 has less CA and similar packaging? If so, I’ll probably swap.

If it performs well in IR, I’ll definitely swap, regardless of other specs.

I’ve been hoping for a compact, sharp 70-300/5.6 for years now… all Nikon need do is re-release the 70-300 P. Maybe the 28-400 is that lens. The Z mount certainly needs it. The 100-400 is great, but it’s a commitment to carry on longer hikes.

I really like my 70-300 AFP but I have been hoping Nikon will release a Z-mount version with VR. Tamron's Z version just wasn't enough for me to ditch my F mount version. Depending on the size and price of this lens it could be the replacement I have been waiting for. Hopefully it's sharp throughout the entire zoom range.

Last edited:
Actually, I think I read on the internet that it is going to be 28-400/1.4, and under $1000 US.

And very lightweight, too!

;)
Did you hear that from Abraham Lincoln, too?

1711057512491.png

According to NikonRumors will this lens be announced next week.

Greta tool i mean the 28-300 was awesome handy and versatile, with some of the features in the ZF of VR up 50% and 10 stops of low light focusing.etc etc
this lens should work well.
BUT 14.28 to 1 magnification ratio is a tough gig, weight and size is important.

It has my attention, i wonder if its a reskinned Tamron.

Jay Maisel is a big fan of the 28-300 Nikkor, which he described in one of his 2 recent books, It's Not About the f-Stop

According to NikonRumors will this lens be announced next week.

Except next Wednesday is March 27 (not 26); if they can’t get a simple date right, it kinda compromises the rumor’s veracity…

I really like my 70-300 AFP but I have been hoping Nikon will release a Z-mount version with IBIS. Tamron's Z version just wasn't enough for me to ditch my F mount version. Depending on the size and price of this lens it could be the replacement I have been waiting for. Hopefully it's sharp throughout the entire zoom range.
Yes I still love the AFP 70-300 on the FTZ with my Z6ii, still amazing image quality for my lightweight "extra distance" lens when hiking in the mountains. However, it lacks resolving power on my Z8 46 mp sensor. I really hope they issue an uprated Z mount version or indeed to 400mm, even better. The 100-400 S is just too big and heavy to carry hiking, especially at my age. Fingers crossed as it would give me a great nit too heavy hiking lens kit with my 14-24 S and 24-120 S that I carry now.

I can honestly say I have absolutely no interest in such a lens. I really wish Nikon would work on a 300/2.8 or a 120-300/2.8 in the Z lineup. Both would be very useful for me! Best of luck.
And maybe they are. We all have different wishes, pancakes, superzooms, more f/1.2 lenses, more DX lenses, more macro lenses, …
As Nikon stated is there no more roadmap but use the element of surprise so to say :). Bring them on 😍.

Back