New camera

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

luckmurph

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hello, Im looking for some advice on a new camera!
I currently have a D500 which I've had now for around 2 years and im looking to get a 2nd body, majority of my photography is wildlife (Im based in the UK) so usual birds, badgers, deer, foxes etc with some landscape photography thrown in!!
Ive been looking at getting a D850 D4s or D5 but do i hang on and see what the Z6s is going to be like? is the the D850 a worthy upgrade? or are mirrorless the way forward yet with wildlife?
Glass wise i have 500mmpf, 300mmpf 70-200 2.8

Thanks
Andy

Last edited:
Hello, Im looking for some advice on a new camera!
I currently have a D500 which I've had now for around 2 years and im looking to get a 2nd body, majority of my photography is wildlife (Im based in the UK) so usual birds, badgers, deer, foxes etc with some landscape photography thrown in!!
Ive been looking at getting a D850 but do i hang on and see what the Z6s is going to be like? is the the D850 a worthy upgrade? or are mirrorless the way forward yet with wildlife?
Glass wise i have 500mmpf, 300mmpf 70-200 2.8

Thanks
Andy
The D850 is awesome and a worthy upgrade but mirrorless is very cool and definitely the future. I was impatient so I recently bought a Z6. I like it a lot but for wildlife, my guidance would be to wait for the anticipated “s” or second generation. For as much as I loved the D500 and it served me well, it collected dust once I got the D850.

Not sure if I was of any help there but that’s my two cents.

is the the D850 a worthy upgrade?
The D850 is definitely a worthy upgrade if you can fill the larger FX frame. If you'll crop to DX factor or further the D500 will actually put more pixels on your subject so don't buy a D850 just to crop down to what the D500 can already do. All the great resolution and noise advantages of the D850 disappear once you crop to DX size or further whether that cropping is in camera or in post.

I'm still on the fence with the Nikon mirrorless and am also in a wait and see mode for the Z6s and Z7s bodies.

I'm fully in a DSLR mode as the current and I expect, next generation of mirrorless aren't able to track a diving osprey. I'm old and can't tolerate an EFV. That said, the D850 is about the best all-around DSLR made. Adding the grip and large battery to get to 9 fps is a deal breaker for some. If you are in low light regularly, a D5 or D6 might be better choices.

Back