NEW CF Express A cards on the market and are HUGE storage

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DavidT

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am excited to share the news, Alex Phan posted pictures on FB and info of a new CF Express card with huge storage capacities and increase speed.

The new cards are by TOPSSD with 1000/800 speed and offer the following sizes: 240G, 320G, 480G.

Pricing:
240G $709
320G $1072
480G $1387
Reader $138

Not cheap but faster and bigger cards so I welcome new players to the market and breaking the speed and capacity limits by Sony and ProGrade.
FBA97836-30B9-4873-8A80-3DFAA87CA793.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

DE4AC20D-3ADB-4DF6-B954-C8648EE6B166.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I am excited to share the news, Alex Phan posted pictures on FB and info of a new CF Express card with huge storage capacities and increase speed.

The new cards are by TOPSSD with 1000/800 speed and offer the following sizes: 240G, 320G, 480G.

Pricing:
240G $709
320G $1072
480G $1387
Reader $138

Not cheap but faster and bigger cards so I welcome new players to the market and breaking the speed and capacity limits by Sony and ProGrade.
View attachment 35302
View attachment 35303
Wow - pricy.

Pricing:
240G $709
320G $1072
480G $1387
Reader $138

It seems ridiculous to consider spending $1,000 or more on a card, unless you just want bragging rights. I must be missing something, but I've never once had an issue with write speed or capacity with my Sony 128GB XQD cards. They're expensive enough ($170), so why would I want to consider something bigger and faster? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It seems ridiculous to consider spending $1,000 or more on a card, unless you just want bragging rights. I must be missing something, but I've never once had an issue with write speed or capacity with my Sony 128GB XQD cards. They're expensive enough ($170), so why would I want to consider something bigger and faster? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
These are Type A cards and don't work in any Nikon or Canon bodies. Type A are ridiculously expensive compared to Type B (which would be what you would want if you decided to upgrade from your XQD cards).

I have had no issues just shooting V90 SD cards in the A1 so I'm happy to save the $$ and not have to buy into CFe-A.

Well it’s type A so for the a1 for example. At 30FPS and 50MP size comes in handy. However I agree at that price point I can buy 2 160G cards for the same price as on of equal combined size. But you have to start somewhere. More competitors in the space the better.

These are Type A cards and don't work in any Nikon or Canon bodies. Type A are ridiculously expensive compared to Type B (which would be what you would want if you decided to upgrade from your XQD cards).

I have had no issues just shooting V90 SD cards in the A1 so I'm happy to save the $$ and not have to buy into CFe-A.
I have a couple V90 as back up I should try more. I do have 4 of the 160G CFEA cards. Luckily ProGrade has been doing some great sales but two in each camera I’ve never had to change cards.

I'm wary of big capacity cards. My preference is to use smaller cards and swap them out before they get near capacity. I've lost images on cards rarely, but enough to make me cautious.

Have you ever tried shooting 8k video on a 128gb xqd card and then downloaded it for processing?

The price of those cards is gouging but as much as they are not necessary for a photographer, they will be flying off the shelf for videographers that don’t want a bulky external recorder on top of their camera. It’s not the majority, but it’s certainly not bragging rights for those users. Even the 160GB current CFE-a are limiting if I shoot 8k and I might splurge for one of those cards in slot 2 where I record video (once the prices cool off a bit).

Back