New computer for photo and video editing

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

But I've never gotten that much out of any non-Apple computer I've owned, either.

Isn't it interesting the variations in hardware experiences?

As well as the iMacs I've had PC's both commercial and home-brewed since the PC-DOS dual-floppy drive days. As far as I can recall never had a PC hardware failure in all that time including HDD's - other than a few lightning/power surge I/O port zaps.

A control systems engineer always set up a new machine controller to run thirty days with a little stress test function he wrote. He used to say almost all failures happened within the first thirty days, after that the controller could run 7x24 for ten years. It should be noted that the controllers were all the best components available.

Isn't it interesting the variations in hardware experiences?

As well as the iMacs I've had PC's both commercial and home-brewed since the PC-DOS dual-floppy drive days. As far as I can recall never had a PC hardware failure in all that time including HDD's - other than a few lightning/power surge I/O port zaps.
Yes, it is. At one far end of the gammut of reliability is the first IBM PC I got in 1983 or 1984. I quit using it a long time ago, after the XTs came out, and left it with my parents. My Mom used it through the mid- to late-1990s, when she donated it to a local animal shelter using in-house software for administration of the resident animals. I asked someone about whether the animal shelter still had it late in 2023, and was pleased to hear that they still have it and still use it. As it was configured when it was donated: two DS/DD floppy drives (720kB storage each) and 192 kB of RAM. It is slow, but bomb-proof, and forces a coder to be really efficient and focused on the simple task it is needed for. I imagine the hardest part of keeping it going is having a monitor which is compatible with it.

BTW, that computer, with only 128 KB RAM, and monitor, cost in the realm of $2500 US back in the day. That was about my entire gross pay for an entire summer of intern work as a Manufacturing Engineer back then.

More frequently than Apple would have us believe. Having had 3 iMacs - 2 out of the 3 had early hard drive failures.

Sorry to hear - sorry read - that ! And even two occurances for the same client. That's hard.
Especially on the iMac I never understood, that they have introduced a flap for upgragingv memory yourself, while "forgetting" the one for DIY HDD exchange.
HDD tended generally to be an issue in the past, especially with portable systems. As the iMac was well before my time in the Apple universe, I only have second hand information , because my friend used to have his 27" iMac for relly long time before it started to get problems - with the HDD. My suspect always was that it has something to do with heat, because the iMac was built so tight and "well-sealed".

But now in times of SSD these days should be over, considering that they are now part of the SoC concept rather than Apple buying their HDD/SSD as third party components.

Murphy can hit anywhwere anytime, but I am still happy to have changed over and hopefully I will miss out on your kind of experience :)

A control systems engineer always set up a new machine controller to run thirty days with a little stress test function he wrote. He used to say almost all failures happened within the first thirty days, after that the controller could run 7x24 for ten years. It should be noted that the controllers were all the best components available.

Yep.

At one time many years ago I worked in electrical/electronic component testing for IBM. Part of that work was life testing over a 1000 hr period with spec's checked periodically. It was clear that electronic component failures generally occurred within the 1st 250 hrs - "infant mortality". Once past 250 hrs there were few if any failures.

Anytime a new piece of electronics of any meaningful value is brought into the house it stays continuously powered-on for 10 days or so to flush out any of those infant mortality issues while still within warranty.

Back