New lens and had to try 1120 mm

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

CoyoteCreationsNW

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I received my Nikon 400 mm 2.8 TC S today and had to try it out in my back yard. Of course it was raining in Washington State and the birds were wet. This image was taken with the Z9 plus the TC 2.0 and the internal TC, so focal length 1120 mm, f/8, 1/1250 sec and ISO 2200. I did not expect to much with stacked TCs. This image is a 100% crop run through AI Sharpen. I likely wouldn't print anything with this set-up but on a brighter day, it might be good enough for on-line sharing? What do you think.
Wer_Bird_S1_DSC1599.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

From what you described, I was expecting a lot worse. It is better than I thought it would be, but it does lack a little bit of that crispness that we like in a sharp image. But the feather detail is not lost, and that is good. I'd like to see a few more samples if possible.

--Ken

From what you described, I was expecting a lot worse. It is better than I thought it would be, but it does lack a little bit of that crispness that we like in a sharp image. But the feather detail is not lost, and that is good. I'd like to see a few more samples if possible.

--Ken
Same equipment but I was expecting him to fly so I set fast shutter and ISO went way up. Again, not a print keeper but more than I expected. 1120 mm, f/8, 1/3200 sec, ISO 10,000.
Annas_Hummer_W1__DSC1808.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Noise levels are surprisingly high at ISO 10,000 and not what I would expect. What are you using to process the Raw files?
I generally bring critical work in through NX studio but for this quick check, I imported the RAW files directly into lightroom. I am aware of LR noise issues with Z9 files. I generally see unacceptable noise levels above ISO 6400 with the Z9. That is what drove me to spend the money for the 400 mm 2.8 TC. I see the same issue with my Z7ii. The higher Mo sensors are just noisier at higher ISO settings than the Z6 series cameras. I appreciate your comment and would be interested is seeing examples at 10,000 ISO with much lower noise.

Back