New monitor time?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

After editing I often put the picture on my phone for easy sharing. The phone version is always clearer /sharper/better than the same photo on the computer monitor.. Is there a simple explanation for this?? Would a better monitor close the gap? I have a middle range Acer Monitor.. Recommendations for a better monitor?

After editing I often put the picture on my phone for easy sharing. The phone version is always clearer /sharper/better than the same photo on the computer monitor.. Is there a simple explanation for this?? Would a better monitor close the gap? I have a middle range Acer Monitor.. Recommendations for a better monitor?
The size and brightness of the phone screen. It appears sharper/higher contrast. You're essentially downsampling. Do this experiment: download from your mediocre computer screen to your phone; it will look better.

Far be it from me to dissuade a person from getting a new monitor. However as Nimi said, your phone is a smaller screen with a pretty high resolution. Not really a fair comparison in most cases. There are high dollar monitors that can rival your phone and I’m sure someone will offer recommendations. I use a 4K Dell 2720q monitor that is pretty decent but would like a better one someday. The choice really comes down to do I want to spend a couple grand on a new monitor or a new wide angle lens?

Jeff

I'm looking at getting a BenQ SW270C. Seems to be the best 2k monitor with 99% RGB. It's a 27 inch monitor.

Even better, that monitor covers 99% Adobe RGB, a much larger color space than srgb.

But sure, I agree about the phone. Our visual acuity, the resolution, the image size, and the viewing distance all contribute to the sensation of sharpness.

Back