New monopod from Siriu with rapid height adjustment for wildlife

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have been using a tripod and handholding for a few years now, but I'm considering getting a monopod for more support but be more mobile. Of course I'm planning to slap on a wimberley mh 100 on it.

I can see that Siriu just released a new monopod with one step rapid height adjustment, as shown in this video.

Question 1; What do you guys including professor Steve think about this? is this just a gimmick? or is it actually useful to be able to extend retract very quickly with one hand?

Question 2: I can see it comes with these 3 extension legs on the bottom is this useful or just another gimmick for wildlife photography? does that make it even more stable or is it just annoying in unpredictable terrain?

I plan to get the new Sirui tripod, primarily for the quick-release mechanism for wildlife photography with heavier telephoto rigs. Another important reason for my decision is this set of legs costs significantly less than the Sachtler 75.

In my experience, the alloy in the fastenings (cap bolts) Sirui used in its older tripods is rather soft, compared to Leofoto's and tripod heads such as RRS (based on what I've tested). However, the waterproof set of Sirui legs I bought circa 2016 and two Monopods have survived field use well enough.

The 2 new Sirui Monopods use the same quick-release mechanism.

Last edited:
I agree with others: one-handed quick height adjustment proved really useful to me on a monopod. I have a Benro Superduper monopod where I can adjust the top segment height with a single hand (it has a special clamp). Very useful in practice. This Sirui one looks even cooler, at least on paper.

I agree with others: one-handed quick height adjustment proved really useful to me on a monopod. I have a Benro Superduper monopod where I can adjust the top segment height with a single hand (it has a special clamp). Very useful in practice. This Sirui one looks even cooler, at least on paper.
I also have the Benro SupaDupa, the top segment adjustment is very handy.

Is this that much easier to use than the older Manfrotto monopods with lever locks? I have one that I used when I shot football, and I just extended the lower legs fully and then adjusted the top leg as needed. It was a quick one-handed operation.

--Ken

Coincidentally I just returned my purchase of a Neewer 71.6. I bought it for the height, but it was one of those with the tiny mini tripod feet which not only got in my way, but were amazingly difficult to clean! They didn’t pop off as per the video in the op post, they had to be unscrewed which left a threaded hole, no cover.

This new Siriu might be just the thing as the feet pop off and there’s a foot.

Is this that much easier to use than the older Manfrotto monopods with lever locks? I have one that I used when I shot football, and I just extended the lower legs fully and then adjusted the top leg as needed. It was a quick one-handed operation.

--Ken

I use the same Manfrotto design with lever locks, a problem solved 20yrs ago Lol the trick as you say is to fully extend the lower sections and use the upper lock for adjustment, couldnt be easier with one hand. I just bought their 290 Carbon fibre monopod, still with levers so same adjustment principle applies…

Coincidentally I just returned my purchase of a Neewer 71.6. I bought it for the height, but it was one of those with the tiny mini tripod feet which not only got in my way, but were amazingly difficult to clean! They didn’t pop off as per the video in the op post, they had to be unscrewed which left a threaded hole, no cover.

My iFootage Cobra 2 goes up to 180cm and the feet fold up if you don't want to use them. If you are using them on rough ground or on tree roots they can be independently adjusted so as to 'hug' the terrain.

I use the same Manfrotto design with lever locks, a problem solved 20yrs ago Lol the trick as you say is to fully extend the lower sections and use the upper lock for adjustment, couldnt be easier with one hand. I just bought their 290 Carbon fibre monopod, still with levers so same adjustment principle applies…

That's what I do too.

My iFootage Cobra 2 goes up to 180cm and the feet fold up if you don't want to use them. If you are using them on rough ground or on tree roots they can be independently adjusted so as to 'hug' the terrain.
I was in my yard and after 3 weeks rain, it was pretty muddy. The legs folded up, but the mud was bad. If they could’ve been popped off - they were screw on - it might have been worse as there was no cap or foot, just a hole where the tripod screwed in. That’s why it went back.

I was in my yard and after 3 weeks rain, it was pretty muddy. The legs folded up, but the mud was bad. If they could’ve been popped off - they were screw on - it might have been worse as there was no cap or foot, just a hole where the tripod screwed in. That’s why it went back.

Plastic bag cable tied to the column to keep the bottom end clean and another one to put the muddy bag in when you are done?

I have been using a tripod and handholding for a few years now, but I'm considering getting a monopod for more support but be more mobile. Of course I'm planning to slap on a wimberley mh 100 on it.

I can see that Siriu just released a new monopod with one step rapid height adjustment, as shown in this video.

Question 1; What do you guys including professor Steve think about this? is this just a gimmick? or is it actually useful to be able to extend retract very quickly with one hand?

Question 2: I can see it comes with these 3 extension legs on the bottom is this useful or just another gimmick for wildlife photography? does that make it even more stable or is it just annoying in unpredictable terrain?
I have a Gitzo monopod that I adapted with Benro legs on the bottom. It’s actually amazing how much more stable it is now.

I wanted a monopod for use with the 800mm PF lens so I could hold the lens and camera with one hand and raise the height of the monopod with the other hand. I bought the Ifootage Cobra 2 A150S ($147) that provides this capability. It adjusts from a height of 32 inches to 54 inches which works in most situations. The Ifootage monopod includes a detachable tripod base which can provide added lateral stability or be used independently as a ground tripod.

I use a Sirui L-10 tilt head that I prefer to a head that tilts on two axis. This head supports up to 33 lbs and so no worries with the 8.1 lb load of the 800mm with the Z9. It is very easy to adjust the L-10 head for the amount of tension I want for the tilt mechanism.

Back