new to mirrorless

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello!

I recently made the transition from DSLR to mirrorless, and I have a question...

My equipment for the last two or three years was D750/500mmPF, before that for several years D750/200-400mm and D800/600mm. Although the Z8 is probably a great camera, it simply is too expensive for me as a "newcomer" to mirrorless. So I got a Z6 II last year - well aware that this model was already around for some time and we are all waiting for a successor. I've been using it with the FTZII adapter and the 500mmPF for some time, although I only recently had two weeks time for a real photo trip - with mediocre weather conditions...

There are several benefits to the Z6 II (higher framerate, magnification via viewfinder), but all in all it feels like a step back for me - and I am not sure if it's me or the camera that is the reason. The blackout and lag of the viewfinder when shooting BIF is somewhat annoying, and auto-area AF has not convinced me yet, I found myself using single-point and dynamic-area AF most of the time. The startup time and especially the time to wake up from sleep mode is really bad. I missed a few shots I would have had with the D750 for sure.

My question is: How big are the differences especially with regard to these aspects between the Z6/7 II and the Z8/9? I know that there are many more nifty features in the Z8/9 that Nikon probably will never port to the Z6/7 II, but if the Z8 does not perform better in the areas mentioned above, I feel no strong urge to upgrade.

Thanks!

I shot the original Z6, upgraded to the Z6II, and now own a Z9. The Z9 is a huge leap in the areas you mentioned!

I am waiting to see what the rumored Z6III will be like.

The big difference with the Z8/Z9 is they have major enhancements to subject detection and AF that can only be realized with a much faster processor. The EXPEED 7 processor is 10 times the speed of the EXPEED 6 found in the Z6ii and Z7ii.

For most of what I photograph, a Z6ii or Z7ii is perfectly capable of capturing the image. I'm shooting short bursts or single frames of a person or animal that is relatively slow moving. I have no problem with focus and eye detection is a minor benefit - partially offset by the need to trust your AF rather than confirming focus. With the Z8, my keeper rate goes up from 95% to 98% - a minor improvement. If the subject is fast moving or moving too quickly for easy focus, subject detection can make a much bigger difference. This isn't just for birds in flight - swallows are still very difficult and shorebirds are relatively easy. It's for specific subjects and situations where you need some help with focus. The Z8 can take you from 30% in focus to 80% with some subjects - and that makes a difference. It can also give you an opportunity to try high risk photos with a little better odds in your favor. My point is don't expect to go from 5% in focus to 90% - hat's unrealistic. You still need to keep the subject in the frame and have a subject that is large enough to be recognized as a bird, animal, person, etc.

There is a lot more to the Z8/Z9 than just AF. You have high frame rates, pre-release and auto capture, better video, and a lot more ability to program Fn buttons that customize your settings. The EVF is effectively a real time viewfinder - very similar to an optical viewfinder.

If you like your Z6ii and are considering an update, you might wait for the Z6iii. It's going to be announced before too long - in theory. It's most likely going to have an EXPEED 7 processor, so it will be able to deliver more processor speed, faster readout, and improved AF.

If you are shooting action, the z8 s a lot better in terms of tracking than the z6ii. But the z6ii still can capture a top quality image, once you get it to focus. But then what is your budget? Are you wedded to Nikon?

Hello!

I recently made the transition from DSLR to mirrorless, and I have a question...

My equipment for the last two or three years was D750/500mmPF, before that for several years D750/200-400mm and D800/600mm. Although the Z8 is probably a great camera, it simply is too expensive for me as a "newcomer" to mirrorless. So I got a Z6 II last year - well aware that this model was already around for some time and we are all waiting for a successor. I've been using it with the FTZII adapter and the 500mmPF for some time, although I only recently had two weeks time for a real photo trip - with mediocre weather conditions...

There are several benefits to the Z6 II (higher framerate, magnification via viewfinder), but all in all it feels like a step back for me - and I am not sure if it's me or the camera that is the reason. The blackout and lag of the viewfinder when shooting BIF is somewhat annoying, and auto-area AF has not convinced me yet, I found myself using single-point and dynamic-area AF most of the time. The startup time and especially the time to wake up from sleep mode is really bad. I missed a few shots I would have had with the D750 for sure.

My question is: How big are the differences especially with regard to these aspects between the Z6/7 II and the Z8/9? I know that there are many more nifty features in the Z8/9 that Nikon probably will never port to the Z6/7 II, but if the Z8 does not perform better in the areas mentioned above, I feel no strong urge to upgrade.

Thanks!
The difference in wake time may not be that big, and surprisingly for mirrorless, the Z cameras are all relatively quick in startup time. As someone who switched to mirrorless cameras very early, I have got in the habit of turning the camera off when not shooting and turning it back on when raising to my eye. It solved that aggravation of the camera being asleep and not ready to shoot when needed. I had the original Z6 and Z7, version 2 didn’t really fix any of the annoying things you listed. The Z8/Z9 basically have zero lag in the EVF, no blackout or stutter, and the AF tracking is significantly improved. I also own the Zf which uses the Expeed7 and old Z6ii sensor. The difference in EVF lag and blackout is significantly Improved and the tracking is very close to Z8/Z9. I would expect the Z6iii to improve even more than the Zf. I still have my Z7ii and it is only a landscape camera now.

Just a few more comments about the photo problems you mentioned.

Single and Dynamic AF were appropriate focus area modes for your earlier cameras, but on the Z6ii the Wide modes are usually better for BIF. I would use Wide Small if possible, and fall back to Wide Large if needed. These modes incorporate nearest subject priority so you don't focus on the backgrounds as often, and they are smaller areas than Area AF so you are being more specific about potential focus targets rather than giving the camera the entire frame and telling it to "go find a subject". Of course, you need to be able to keep the subject in the AF area.

I only use Dynamic and Single point AF areas for perched or relatively static subjects - typically when they are partially obstructed. I rarely use Area AF because the environment I am in for small birds has lots of potential subjects and needs more control. With larger subjects, I can fill the frame and Area AF finds the subject right away.

There is a greater viewfinder lag with the Z6ii than the Z8, and this makes fast moving subjects more difficult. If you slow the frame rate and use a mechanical shutter, you have a view through the EVF that is closer to real time. The highest frame rate and silent shutter will work, but it can be a challenge with erratic movement. There also is value from properly exposing your subject, avoiding busy backgrounds, pre-focusing at the distance of your subject, and having a subject larger in the frame.

With BIF and hard to follow subjects, it's a lot harder to capture the subject flying across the frame than flying toward the camera. Some subjects have a predictable pattern and fly into the wind or toward a nest or perch. You can take advantage of those situation with a high hit rate.

Camera wake up time is not that bad but also requires a change in technique. When you see a subject that might be suitable for a photo, tap the shutter to wake the camera. You'll find its impossible to get the camera to your eye before it is ready to shoot. On a tripod, it's impossible to get your eye to the viewfinder before the camera is awake. You can't wait until the camera is at your eye to tap the shutter or you will find it slow. This is just a difference with an EVF vs. an optical viewfinder.

I went from the D850 (still have for UW) to the Z7II and then the Z8. With the 2.0 version of the Z8 firmware, I'm not looking back. The Z7II frustrated me with its performance on BIF. With the Z8 I'm getting BIF shots that I only dreamed of in the past. To learn the autofocus setup, I started with Steve's guide and have since fine-tuned from there. For me it's been a worthwhile investment. I walkabout with the camera left on so there is no lag and I carry a spare battery in my pocket. I usually get a full morning out of one battery unless I'm on high frame rate for hummers in flight or playing around with pre-capture. I have no issue tracking birds in flight and following running wildlife thru the viewfinder. I would like to see a little more battery life out of the Z8, and I'm occasional frustrated by the focusing issues on the Nikon mirrorless systems that have been discussed on this forum, but with that said, once I got over the learning curve with my Z8 and programed in the focus modes that worked for me... wow. Now I'm seriously considering migrating to mirrorless for underwater. Good luck with your decision. I know it's quite an investment.

TheZ8/9 are huge advances in technology including autofocus compared to the Z6ii. We expect new cameras are coming out but no one knows when. The frustration you are feeling with the Z6 is understandable.

The Zf is a more advanced camera than the Z6ii and might be a better choice if funds are limited. Many think the Z6iii if it comes out will have similar features. You might also look when you are ready for a change for a used Z8. I have seen models listed for close to $3000.

You already have a great lens with the 500mm pf, You need no change there.

To get an idea what you can gain with the newer cameras is an example. I shoot a lot with the z800mm PF which is another great lens. Given the long focal length it is tricky to be able to catch flying birds in the frame to begin with. I will be out in a shoot and i will miss a lot of opportunities. But every once in a while i catch one in time. Once I get the connection all I have to do is shoot in burst mode at 20 fps and try too keep the brid in frame as best I can. The camera will grab and follow the bird wherever it goes. When I take those images into post I can find all sorts of interesting well-focused shots. Very little of that would have been possible with a lesser camera. Those few I catch are well worth the effort and make my photographic day.

Hello!

Thanks!

When I moved over to mirrorless, I went from a D850 to a Z7ii (the Z8 and Z9 were not available yet). I enjoyed many of the features that mirrorless offered, especially the EVF, but I struggled a bit when using it for BIF photography. The 500 PF was also my preferred BIF lens at the time. I was able to capture a decent amount of shots with sharp eyes, but some of the things you mentioned, like blackouts, lagging viewfinder and wakeup time also bothered me as well.

I was able to get the camera ready to shoot quicker by touching the shutter button (to start the wakeup process), while the camera was still by my side, just as I began to raise it to a shooting position. However, I eventually decided that due to the other annoyances, I still preferred using my D850 over the Z7ii for BIF and action photography, but I preferred using the Z7ii for essentially everything else.

I still consider the Z6/Z7 series cameras as not that suitable for action/wildlife photography. They can do an adequate job of it, but there are much better options out there. If that is your main use case, then I would consider alternatives that don't present the issues that you bring up. I would definitely recommend the Z8 if you could find a way to fit it into your budget.

I have kept my Z7ii, but I ordered a Z9 as soon as it came out hoping that it would be my D850 replacement, and boy was I thrilled with the improvements that it brought to the table. Now I had faster frame rates, no viewfinder lag, no black out, better AF performance, better battery life, etc. And Nikon has continued to improve the camera's performance over time with software updates. My D850 was now relegated to the shelf, as it had been fully superseded by the Z9. I don't think I used it again after I bought the Z9.

When the Z8 came out i bought one of those as well, as it gave me a camera with nearly identical features to the Z9, but in a slightly smaller and lighter form factor. Plus, I like to have a backup camera body for many reasons (e.g., travel, having two camera lens options available in the field, having a spare when sending one camera in for service, etc.), and the Z8 made for a perfect backup body to the Z9.

If the Z8 was available when I bought my Z9, I think I would have been very happy getting that camera as a replacement for my D850. The Z8 would be my current recommendation to people now who are looking to upgrade from a full-frame DSLR (especially those using a ~45 MP sensor) to mirrorless, unless you explicitly need some of the features that are still unique to the Z9 (e.g., video / heat dissipation, portrait orientation functions and grip, extended battery life, etc.).

I think in your situation, you have chosen a mirrorless camera that does not have the features to be a like-for-like replacement to the camera(s) that you are coming from. The Z6ii is a worthy camera in it's own right, but it may not be the best option for what you want to use it for.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
Reactions: PKW
You shot yourself in the foot (strictly comparing) buying less than the Z8 or 9. My first mirrorless was the Z9, now own an Z8 too. I went from D6 to the Z9 and will never look back. The Z6II is not the 8 and 9 league. Keep trying or get the real deal..

This thread is interesting to me. I also purchased a Z6ii last year as my first mirrorless camera. Only, I have been out of photography for almost 40 years. So, there really wasn’t a transition.

I have enjoyed my Z6ii. The blackout/lag has become somewhat annoying. But, not terribly so. Most focus issue that I have had are my fault.

Now, I want a second body. My initial thought was to wait and see if there will be a Z6iii. But, I am leaning to the Z8 now. I could trade in my Z6ii for $880 with Nikon, and buy the Z8 on sale now. If/when the Z6iii comes out, I can make a decision on it then. Or just keep the Z6ii and get the Z8 deal now.

Hello!

Thanks!

My recent gear sequence has been Nikon D700, D810, Z7ii, Z6ii, Z9 and Z8. I shoot everything, but mainly musical events in low light.

The Z6ii has the limitations you have noted. You can mitigate the lag by awaking the camera as you move it to your eye. You can finesse the focusing limitations by using single point and using the joy stick like a fighter pilot. You can look over the top of the camera at fast-moving subjects with you other eye to compensate for viewfinder blackout.

But, the Z6/7ii will never be the best camera for fast-moving subjects or rapidly changing scenes.

The Z8 can be viewed as Nikon's successor to the D850. Most, if not all, reviews I have read would indicate that photographers who have switched from the D850 have been amazed.

With the latest firmware, the Z8 has drawn very close in capability to the flagship Z9, with only a few niche (firmware) capabilities separating the two.

The Z6ii is still a great compact camera. I still use it for wide angle shots in low light. And the Z7ii, which was my workhorse before the Z9 came out, is still my walkin' around daytime camera.

The Z8/Z9 resolve the issues you have with the Z6ii...They are top contenders for general-purpose, fast action cameras along with Sony's A1.

Thanks to all the (mostly) useful replies!

I'd like to clarify that I am (obviously) not a professional photographer, and I simply cannot afford to buy one high end camera after the other. Even taking inflation into account, the Z8 feels *much* costlier than the D750 and the D800 felt years ago when I got them. And with wildlife getting fewer and photo opportunities getting rarer, I am more and more hesitant to shell out such amounts of money.

I think I will keep using the Z6 II and may fall back to the D750, depending on the situation. It will be interesting to see the performance of the Z6 III - when it comes out. Hopefully this is not another D400 that never arrives (I got the D800 mainly because I had outgrown my D300s and was fed up waiting for its successor...).

Maybe I'll get the Z8 (or Z8 II???) in a year or so. Thanks again for all the insight, it's highly appreciated.

My camera progression over years was D610, D750, D5, D850, Z6, Z6ii, Z7ii and Z9. I still have the last three but for different reasons.

There is no questions that the Z9 is the best wildlife and BIF camera but it is heavy and requires more thought to operate properly. Coupled with one of the Z telephotos with internal TC it is pretty much an ultimate image quality kit. Z8 is likely the same but I have no personal experience with it.

The Z7ii is my landscape and scenery specialist. Pared with one or two wider angle lens it goes anywhere and has as good image quality as anythoing else in the Nikon line. My keeper rate with is camera for birds was much lower than with my D850. The shots I hit were excellent but thepercentage was lower.

The Z6ii is my preferred backup and second camera for wildlife. It has a lower resolution sensor compared to the Z7ii but focuses in lower light which is important for wildlife. Pared with a mid range zoom it does an excellent job when you can fill most of the frame with the subject. I currently use it with the Tamron 150-500. The Nikon zooms, 100-400 and 180-600 likely are also good choices but I do not own them.

I'd like to clarify that I am (obviously) not a professional photographer, and I simply cannot afford to buy one high end camera after the other. Even taking inflation into account, the Z8 feels *much* costlier than the D750 and the D800 felt years ago when I got them. And with wildlife getting fewer and photo opportunities getting rarer, I am more and more hesitant to shell out such amounts of money.

I think I will keep using the Z6 II and may fall back to the D750, depending on the situation. It will be interesting to see the performance of the Z6 III - when it comes out. Hopefully this is not another D400 that never arrives (I got the D800 mainly because I had outgrown my D300s and was fed up waiting for its successor...).

Maybe I'll get the Z8 (or Z8 II???) in a year or so. Thanks again for all the insight, it's highly appreciated.

Understood.

Getting a Z8/9 also takes a hit on post processing requirements because of the larger files and the inevitably more images to cull.

For reasons I can't divine, some of my best keepers have been taken with the Z6ii.

Waiting for the next generation Z6/7iii is probably best.

I think that's a good approach.

There are lots of photographers that photograph birds in flight and that accounts for more than 50% of their images. For them, a Z8 or Z9 is an easy choice that will dramatically improve results. But if fast moving subjects are less than 10% of your photos, I would stick with a Z6ii and learn to use it more effectively. It's a solid camera and very effective outside of fast action. Even for fast action, it's a good enough camera to be successful if you have good technique and practice. The Z6ii is in the same category as your D750 - but several generations more advanced in terms of technology. I don't think there is a single place where the D750 would be my camera of choice over a Z6ii.

The Z8 and Z9 are built around a stacked 45mp sensor, integrated with the EXPEED7 (processing~10 times faster than the EXPEED6). This cutting edge technology undergirds a 120 Hz refresh rate, on dual stream architecture so currently a max 120 fps capture rate is possible in jpg and 20fps in RAW. Critically there's no discernable blackout in the excellent EVF of these cameras.

The Z9 Autofocus system leverages this top end hardware with the advanced custom menus (building on those of the D5 and D6, with significant enhancements). AutoCapture and PreCapture subsystems have been added in firmware updates.

One pays a premium for this technology, obviously.

A major distinction from Nikon's previous flagships, is the engineering team paid equal attention to it's 8K video, and made sure the Z9 doesn't overheat even if Filming for over 2 hours. Hence the hefty Pro type form factor, which has been pruned down in the smaller Z8. Their respective batteries are another important difference, and a major factor why I invested a pair of Z9's - the bigger athigher capacity ENEL18d.

(edited)

Last edited:
Nikon's current strategic plan states they are prioritizing the repackaging of Z9 technology into more affordable cameras.... Hence they launched the Z8 in 2023. And, the Retro Nikon Zf followed closely.

This FX MILC punches far above it's weight and especially it's retail cost. The Zf has the core of the Z9 AF engine thanks to the EXPEED7 on a Z6 sensor - a formidable imaging instrument, especially at the price.

It follows Nikon should launch at least 1 more medium tier camera soon, as rumours suggest. It's likely the EXPEED7 will be boosting the autofocus of a more affordable Z6 III and/or Z7 III.

The blackout and lag of the viewfinder when shooting BIF is somewhat annoying, and auto-area AF has not convinced me yet, I found myself using single-point and dynamic-area AF most of the time. The startup time and especially the time to wake up from sleep mode is really bad. I missed a few shots I would have had with the D750 for sure.

For BIF the ultra fast cameras with stacked sensors and "blackout free EVFs" (Nikon Z9/Z8, Sony A1, A9, Canon R3, OMDS OM-1 and I think Fuji X-H2s) really do make a difference when compared to other cameras as you'll get more keepers. And after 6 months with an OM-1, I am finding it strange these days to go back to a camera with EVF or OVF blackout.

I'd add a few other cameras to that list, that aren't black-out free but punch very high when it comes to AF capabilities (Sony's A7 series gen IV or newer, Canon R5/R6/R7, maybe Sony's A6700 and Panasonic's S5 II / G9 II).

So, while you can and will get great wildlife shots with a Z6 II, if you shoot a lot of wildlife and especially birds you did yourself a disservice by not going with one of the above cameras instead.

Last weekend I went to Demo Days at Procam Camera store in Aurora IL all the camera company reps were there as well as Tamron and Sigma reps with all their lens gear. I talked to Nick the Nikon Rep wanted to know about the new Z6III all he could say was it should be released late May early June,. He showed me the new Zf and Z8 told me today only he could take $500 off on the Z8 and Procam offered 0% financing for one year. My D500 has been in the shop 3 mo now waiting on parts so made me think its time to go mirrorless so got the Z8 been playing with it and settings got Steves set up guide a great help. This camera has deep menu settings not even taken a picture yet the focus systen alone settings are just starting to make sense. Steve has said to custom use the video button to cycle through the focus point areas . Nikon has a focus button you push and move command dial to cycle through settings but its in a bad spot on lower left bottom like Steve said hard to adjust with a big telephoto lens on. Now I need to get Z glass Nick the Nikon rep showed me the new 180 -600 lens they have all internal focus looks like I'll be selling my Tamrom G2 150-600 which i just did a firmware update on for the eclipse.
I got my first Z glass this week the 24-70 F2.8 S lens will try it out this week

Hello!

Thanks!
Z8 and very happy. Bird AF is amazing for BIF. I carry two spare batteries. I have a vertical grip I put on for sports, but like the lighter weight of the Z8 vs the Z9 for most everything else. Z9 has a few extras, but I don't need those, so very happy with Z8. I keep my D810 around because I still love it. And heck, I still have an FE2 from 1975, mostly for nostalgia; shot some great memories deep in the Sierra and Cascade mountains with that camera. :)

Hello!

Thanks!
Short answer if you have used a Z9 or even a Z8 you will not want to use or go back to any other current Z camera. Period.

There is a vast difference between the Z6II and Z8.

Long answer,

your constraints are as you say affordability of a Z8, then your current options in Nikon are, Z6II Z7II ZF, as your not singing songs of joy with your Z6II, the ZF is certainly offering

14 fps fast start up and the best Nikon IBIS on the sensor being 8 stops exceeding the Z8 Z9 current capability of only 5 stops, it also has 10 stops compared to the Z8 Z9 having 8 stops of low light focus detection, the ZF also has a unique focus feature not seen in the Z8 Z9, "if that's the way to describe it" the assumption is that most future Z models will likely have the ZF features.

Note the Z8 Z9 being 5 stops wit IBIS is not a disadvantage as its frame rates are 20 30 120, there different TOOLS.

According to several very capable camera club members they found for them the ZF is better than the Z6II,
that said, only you will know after you use one, if you haven't already, its certainly affordable.

The issues you describe experienced with your Z6II are not an issue in the ZF Z8 Z9 nor will they be in the forth coming Z6III Z7III.

I have recently sold my Z9 after two plus years, as an interim step to partly preserve equity pending the Z9 II and expired warranty, i have picked up a very well priced NEW Z8 with 2 years warranty, added to this the change was driven by the change in needs or application, while i always prefer the larger pro bodies the Z8 is smaller lighter and has 98% of the features that the Z9 has, the Z9 weight and size is an issue for travel, street use , and major hiking applications.

I am waiting for the Z7III and to see if its going to up the resolution to 60 plus mega pixels, my assumption is that as the sensor IBIS system in the ZF is new and different, it may very well be to compliment higher res sensors which would be ideal for a small light Z7III, hope Nikon is listening.

Fuji has jumped from 24 to to 40 mp in its apsc sensor and adding IBIS, it doesn't interest me but its telling.

The best files i still find comes from my amazing D850, however many of the benefits in the Z system comes from the Z glass = $$$$$

All cameras are just tools.

There are a lot of good DSLR cameras an lenses out there and so so cheap, it all depends on what you want or need.

The difference between Mirror less and DSLR equipment and the real benefits of mirror less in gap measurement terms over time has narrowed down somewhat for taking stills.
Its the glass the counts but also costs a lot lot more.

Many people still get perfectly good results with what ever they have.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
... The startup time and especially the time to wake up from sleep mode is really bad. I missed a few shots I would have had with the D750 for sure...
Are you using the optional battery/vertical grip? If so, I think that is the culprit. Before I went to Z system mirrorless by purchasing a Z8, I rented a Z7ii with battery grip. I had the same experience - long wake up time when I pressed the shutter button causing me to miss a coyote running across wash. Others said they had not noticed a lag with theri Z7ii but it was very bad to me (compred to my D850). Later I found a thread that revealed there is a lag when you add the battery grip, but the lag is not there if you use the camera without the battery grip.

Back