New Universal L-Bracket (on Zf)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Nimi

Noob Forever
Supporting Member
Marketplace
The Zf is working hard for me and needed an L-bracket. Started with a modified SmallRig which is unsurprisingly junk. RRS informed me that they have no plans for one, but their new Universal L-bracket should fit. It does. Near-infinite adjustments possible, and quickly got it to work with the Zf, Z9, and FX3. Highly recommended.

Img12545.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Img12550.jpg

Img12548.jpg

Some of my Canon cameras wore universal brackets, but I never found one that gave access to the battery compartment without either removing it or loosening it enough to turn 90 degrees. Although I kept the brackets on the cameras, it was a pain. Looks like that one would be the same way --- or can you change the battery without fiddling with the bracket?

Some of my Canon cameras wore universal brackets, but I never found one that gave access to the battery compartment without either removing it or loosening it enough to turn 90 degrees. Although I kept the brackets on the cameras, it was a pain. Looks like that one would be the same way --- or can you change the battery without fiddling with the bracket?

Battery access here, as well as the ports on the left.

E3BB82C0-0908-4ECB-8472-8D320F2586A1.jpeg

View attachment 75467
Thanks for the photo. My experience as well.

Is it just the view from these photos, or does the RRS universal L-bracket lack the safety stops? That would be a deal-breaker for me.

I don't believe any of their L brackets have stops since they run the length of the body. Only bars, which are 90 degrees to the body and are typically used on lens feet have them. Right or wrong, the logic is that if it's going to slide, it's back and forth (tilt), not sideways and unlike lenses which have to be moved back and forth to be balanced, camera bodies are set-and-forget.

The Zf is working hard for me and needed an L-bracket. Started with a modified SmallRig which is unsurprisingly junk. RRS informed me that they have no plans for one, but their new Universal L-bracket should fit. It does. Near-infinite adjustments possible, and quickly got it to work with the Zf, Z9, and FX3. Highly recommended.
I have a Zf on order and intending to try the SmallRig L-Shape Grip when it arrives. Is this the SmallRig piece you describe as junk? If so, please explain further.

I have a Zf on order and intending to try the SmallRig L-Shape Grip when it arrives. Is this the SmallRig piece you describe as junk? If so, please explain further.
Yes. My sample was flimsy, blocked access to the card and somehow worked itself loose from the body in a hard case.

I don't believe any of their L brackets have stops since they run the length of the body. Only bars, which are 90 degrees to the body and are typically used on lens feet have them. Right or wrong, the logic is that if it's going to slide, it's back and forth (tilt), not sideways and unlike lenses which have to be moved back and forth to be balanced, camera bodies are set-and-forget.
So the assumption is that people won't pick up the tripod and relocate with the camera still attached? That strikes me as an odd assumption, but maybe I am the one with unusual ways of working.

So the assumption is that people won't pick up the tripod and relocate with the camera still attached? That strikes me as an odd assumption, but maybe I am the one with unusual ways of working.

Have you seen any L-brackets with stops? I've been using just one brand for years so I don't have the knowledge depth others might.

Have you seen any L-brackets with stops? I've been using just one brand for years so I don't have the knowledge depth others might.
I don't recall seeing any that lacked them completely. The closest I can recall is a three-legged-thing universal L-bracket, which lacked the stops in the portrait orientation but not in the landscape orientation. But I haven't looked for an L-bracket in recent years.

After years of using RRS L-brackets, I tried the SmallRig for my Z8. So far, it has been a solid performer with a unique, useful design. As the resale value of my camera-specific RRS brackets has been exceedingly low, I definitely appreciate the universal option and may consider that for future cameras.

After years of using RRS L-brackets, I tried the SmallRig for my Z8. So far, it has been a solid performer with a unique, useful design. As the resale value of my camera-specific RRS brackets has been exceedingly low, I definitely appreciate the universal option and may consider that for future cameras.
Never had good luck with SmallRig and never had the confidence that all that's labeled SmallRig is SmallRig.

View attachment 75216
View attachment 75217
View attachment 75218
Nimi, thank you for sharing the pictures.

This looks like a solid L bracket with new designs, I would try it on my next body.

WRT the L bracket, once the camera bodies get "updated", I could hardly get a penny on a dollar on the resale price.

Oliver

Nimi, thank you for sharing the pictures.

This looks like a solid L bracket with new designs, I would try it on my next body.

WRT the L bracket, once the camera bodies get "updated", I could hardly get a penny on a dollar on the resale price.

Oliver
Same, so I repurpuse them, basically making them into generic plates or L-brackets with my mill. Dremmel would work too.

Some of the Sunwayfoto brackets have safety stop screws on both legs (i.e. Z7, D850) and others do not. Seems to vary with the design requirements.

I just put the RRS Universal L-bracket on my Nikon zf... and cannot articulate the screen to any angle because the L part of the bracket blocks the articulation. If I wanted to use the camera low to the ground and tilt the screen like on my z6ii, the screen would be blocked.

Has anyone tried the RRS universal L bracket on a Z8?

I just got a second Z8. I have the RRS dedicated L bracket in my first Z8. But was thinking of trying the universal L bracket for my second Z8, thinking ahead to possible new bodies in the future.

Back