New Video: Mirrorless Shooters - Critical Advice About Battery Life

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I read the argument that "my battery might be depleted in the middle of a once in a lifetime prolonged burst, costing me thé shot", and I cannot grasp that one would not check now and then and replace the battery timely when it is convenient (although I see it coming that some may say there is nó convenient moment to change a battery :cautious:)

I agree 100%. Honestly, and I don't mean to sound harsh here, but to me when I see the kind of comment you mention, I feels like they come from an arm-chair nature nature photographer. I can't recall a single time replacing a battery came anywhere close to costing me a shot. The truth is, when we're out - even in productive places, we're just shooting the entire time - there are always gaps in the action. The only times I've missed shots due to dead batteries was when I was too shortsighted to put an extra in my pocket :)

I agree 100%. Honestly, and I don't mean to sound harsh here, but to me when I see the kind of comment you mention, I feels like they come from an arm-chair nature nature photographer. I can't recall a single time replacing a battery came anywhere close to costing me a shot. The truth is, when we're out - even in productive places, we're just shooting the entire time - there are always gaps in the action. The only times I've missed shots due to dead batteries was when I was too shortsighted to put an extra in my pocket :)
my car ran out of gas and left me stranded on the way to the grocery store. they really should have made it with unlimited mileage. so lame!

I've just invested in the only power bank the Nikon recommend and have tested with the Z8 batteries, EN‑EL15c and EN‑EL15b, Anker PowerCore III Elite 25600 87W

https://onlinemanual.nikonimglib.co...c135e5ff-3e7e-07c1-74dd-c8eb776d65bb_339.html

in the UK £106 and having used it to charge my EN‑EL15c in my Z8 just as a test, it worked very quickly and flawlessly after I worked out that the PD cable that comes with the Z8 will not work with it but the double ended USB C cable that comes with the power bank does, go figure. The other point is that it states in the Nikon documentation that a USB charging icon will show in the battery info screen but in reality when using the power bank if you turn on the Z8 it stops charging so again go figure. Anyway it looks like a good buy for use in the field as I can charge approximately 5 EN‑EL15c and EN‑EL15b batteries according to Nikon. Hope this is of interest.

I've just invested in the only power bank the Nikon recommend and have tested
fwiw, i’ve had pretty good luck with a variety of pd supplies. i ran the camera off this ryobi inverter most of the day this weekend to play with auto capture
IMG_0899.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

If you're a mirrorless shooter, you no doubt have noticed that battery life isn't quite the same as what we had with our DLSRs. In this video, I'll cover better ways to measure battery life with our mirrorless cameras and show you how to leverage that information into realistic decisions about your power requirements in the field. In addition, I'll also share my top eight tips for prolonging battery life in your mirrorless camera. It's a must-see for every mirrorless shooter.

Excellent advice !!! I follow this and recently got 1600 images on one battery.

If you're a mirrorless shooter, you no doubt have noticed that battery life isn't quite the same as what we had with our DLSRs. In this video, I'll cover better ways to measure battery life with our mirrorless cameras and show you how to leverage that information into realistic decisions about your power requirements in the field. In addition, I'll also share my top eight tips for prolonging battery life in your mirrorless camera. It's a must-see for every mirrorless shooter.

Excellent points, have passed this on to the club members.

I was in the same boat having the same conversations over and over so I made the video mainly to just get it off my chest :)

I too don't know what the big deal about changing the battery is.
Unvbelivable isnt it, i mean i always carry a spare battery in my pocket, cant understand why people would be complaining to change a battery.

Back