Next lens after 200-500?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have the D850 paired with the 200-500 for wildlife and aviation photography. I'm wanting advice on lens recommendations to replace the 200-500. Its focus acquisition and tracking is noticeably slow especially on active and flying birds, its very heavy, and I'm shooting at 500mm 99.9% of the time. The 500pf is on the radar for weight, improved focus speed, and being a 500mm prime, but another 5.6 lens doesn't blow my hair back. Read a little on the 200-400 f4, but some have claimed it's focusing speed isn't anything special. Any other lenses I should take a look at? Or just get a used monster f4 prime and be done?

Hi, I would strongly recommend the 500mm f/5.6 PF VR paired with the D850, great quality images on full frame, made to go together

I currently own the D850 along with a D500 and this work well with both bodies

I did own the 200-500 f/5.6 before [my first long lens] and found I only used this at 500mm, I don't miss the zoom since upgrading and would not go back

I have the Z8 on order and as I move to Z lenses [no funds at the moment after ordering the Z8]

I will keep the 500mm f/5.6 PF VR due to weight, quality, reach, quick focusing, value for money, need I go on]

I have no issues with f/5.6 and background separation works well

My vote is for the 500 PF

Last edited:
I owned the 500PF for about a year and it was good, but I decided I need a zoom. I used it with D850 and D500. Since you say you shoot almost exlusively at 500mm, then I think the 500PF is a good choice. Of course 500 f4 will be better IF you can afford it and IF you can carry something that heavy. If the answer to both is yes then go for it (I think there are some on sale on this site), but if you are honest with yourself and 500 f4 is too much lens to carry, I think the 500PF is a good choice.

(For the record I switched to a Sony 200-600 which is unbelievably sharp).

Back