Nikkor 28-400mm Announced

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I absolutely love my 28-300 that I used a lot on my D850. On vacation, travelling light it was the lens to take. I for one, am glad they've come out with a Z version. Probably not right away, but definitely buy it sometime in the future.

Last edited:
Nikon and I had talked about maybe doing a preview of this one, but I came to the same conclusion as many here - although I think it will be handy for some, F/8 really hurts it, at least for my core audience.
Personally, I think you still should. From the pictures I've got from my 28-300, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. For the price my old lens is surprisingly capable, not just for "family" shooters. Thats my, not so humble opinion. 🤣

Last edited:
It is great that Nikon chose to provide Synchro VR on the consumer 28-400mm lens. My wife uses the Olympus EM-1 and OM-1 cameras and some Olympus lenses provide this same capability, but not with all Olympus lenses.

Nikon and I had talked about maybe doing a preview of this one, but I came to the same conclusion as many here - although I think it will be handy for some, F/8 really hurts it, at least for my core audience.
I think the 14 plus to -1 magnification ratio and F8 is a tall ask for low light sports action and fast moving wild life.

8 stops of IBIS and 10 stops of low light focus technology like in the ZF and forthcoming no doubt in other cameras may help this versatile tool, and defiantly allow for lower shutter speeds used or tolerating F8 a little more than usual, i do feel its also a tool more handy for video, as new mainstream users today are doing more video than stills thanks to Instagram U Tube and social media.

I am certain Nikon will harnesses some RED genetics to breed a stable of new gear or simply infuse existing gear with upgrades, i think we will see some interesting outcomes going forward, the money, growth, profits and future generations are all simply in Video and we all know this.

New IBIS technology light sensitivity with larger lens mount diameter all compliments pushing the boundary further than before, ie: F5.6 to F6.3 F6.3 to F8, F8 to F11.

I do think that the 28-400 is a great extremely versatile travel lens or a do all handy fair weather tool for video and capable to do a lot more, but is it a fit for wild life action ?

Short answer on the 28-400, for my self i don't think its a total fit for the serious wild life shooters.

Interesting times.

According to this post today from Nikon Rumors, dealers report larger than expected orders. There may be a wait to get the lens.

I absolutely love my 28-300 that I used a lot on my D850. On vacation, travelling light it was the lens to take. I for one, am glad they've come out with a Z version. Probably not right away, but definitely buy it sometime in the future.
The 28-300 was Vincent Versace's favorite and my copy is my favorite DSLR lens. It lives on my D810 and I got a very nice series of a fox last week.

The 28-300 is 5.6 at 300 and background blur is very nice, f8 puts me off a bit. I would have endured the extra glass to get 5.6.

This is propably a dream lens for somebody, but f5.6 at 50mm is a bit limiting to me. Combo of the Z 24-120/4S and AF-P 70-300/4.5-5.6 will give 1 stop more light and likely better quality in that range. I've shot surprisingly good sport photos with the AF-P 70-300. Maybe the price is too low for the quality it can achieve ;)

Looks excellent to me. Seems like a little less CA and better corners than the 24-200, and sharpness seems pretty good overall.

This isn’t going to compare to primes or even f/2.8 zooms when you need subject separation, but you often don’t need or want that anyway.

I’m waiting for availability at my local camera store so I can test it out in infrared. My 24-200 is not, and if this lens is, I can replace my 24-70 + 100-400 kit for infrared.

Back