Nikkor 35mm f1.4 Released

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

nikon rumors is now saying the new 35 1.4 is not the lens from the roadmap which makes sense since the one on the roadmap was an s-line lens and this one is not

they also say a, similar, 50 1.4 is coming which makes sense

Further clarification: the confirmation that the 35mm S-line is still coming was from Ricci Chera of the Nikon School. I was the one who forwarded Ricci's video to Nikon Rumors.

YEEEE Validation, Ricci sums it up courageously well, good on him and Nikon for approving the script. LOL

Nikon has been clever, THEY ARE LISTENING FOR ONCE, they have tuned into what a growing number of photographers actually want.

For most the S line lenses are stunningly sharp, beautiful glass, bravo to Nikon its what they do best.

The S line has great detail micro contrast is clean excellent, then you have some or even a growing number of photographers that don't like what they see, clinical results, to perfect etc.

Lenses and cameras are really just tools each tool is fit for a purpose, Options sell.

A growing number of photographers are pulling out older lenses to get that bokah, happy with slight imperfections, character, bokah, less clinical look.

Some photographers don't need that tack sharpness at 1.8 or 1.4, do they want the benefit of extra light gathering capacity, well take all you can get as the iso or SS will be lower ?.

The 35 1.4 G versus the 35 1.8 s, technically worlds apart, CA, flair softness at 1.4 but the colours and bokah and outcomes for some photographers taste is much more sort after the 35mm 1.4 G has for so many a nicer bokah and therefore are happy to compermise, can everyne affroda a Plena standard lens ????

8 out of 10 high awards in the last club portraiture photography competition was on older Canon and Nikon DSLRS and older glass, that doesn’t mean MLC is bad, its different.

I think Nikon is clever in seeing, listening and offering the choice of options in this lens range.

28mm 35mm 50mm is an excellent street photographers range, for many its 28 or 50mm, my self 50mm is great and i can step back or forward or flick on off DX to give me a varied outcome.

Ziess Leica have been masters in this arena, some of their glass is sharper wide open others need to be stopped down, Fuji is smart and delivering some amazing new cameras with excellent glass really meeting the market, Nikon needs to continue to look listen and act, i look forward to whats next in the range of 1.4 glass roll out.

As Ricci has said not everything has to be about being tack or needle sharp.

Don't throw out those older primes just yet LOL

Only an opinion

Counterpoint, you can do most of that in post. Why start off with a softer/worse image in the first place?

Valid point ..................

Then is it fair to ask, why has Nikon made this 1.4 ? is it to plug the whole where people are using older lenses and not progressing to the S line ???

Also does everyone like or have the ability to do lots of editing in post, i don't know ??

Because they want to put lenses out for the people who want the "vintage" look and who don't want to do post, I imagine.

I just don't think most higher end photographers are the target market for them. It's more the "influencer" group

Because they want to put lenses out for the people who want the "vintage" look and who don't want to do post, I imagine.

I just don't think most higher end photographers are the target market for them. It's more the "influencer" group
I don't like doing a lot of post work, i feel we spend too much time sitting and engaged with devices as it is, it’s cheap and easy to outsource stuff.

On average i hear humans spend the equivalent of 18 years of their life engaged on devices or computers.

I see some dealers getting a run on certain types of glass and older cameras. I guess people are looking for something that sets them apart or makes them different.

The chief editor of Vogue once said as I vaguely recall ? something like "isn't there anyone in New York that can deliver a dam photo that isn't so needle sharp, Please"

Everything she was receiving for the middle page spread was so technically super needle sharp it was concerning.

Good on Nikon, I think Fuji has tapped into a market segment with great success, the Leica series for mono and street photography is getting attention lately, when some see the prices they look at Fuji !!!!.

Only an opinion

In this latest video, Ricci Chera emphasized this 35 f1.4 is a Nikon design.

Forum chatter suggests it is indeed another of Nikon's Marmite Optics, loved versus hated, because it follows the design goals of the 35 f1.4G and 58 f1.4G. Bokeh quality and image rendering will always be a subjective affair

There are the published images, including dedicated lens threads (eg FM) which testify to their potential for photographers to create works of art: including images taken at fully open at f1.4

Back