Nikkor Z 14-30mm f/4 S reviews?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I love my 14-30. Goes on all my trips. I don't do Astro so I decided on this one as it travels easier (lighter more compact). I have Kase 82mm magnetic filters for it.
I am not a pro, just enjoy making stories of our travels. Here is one from last week. Happy to try to answer any specific questions. Oh and since we mostly put our images on our 75" TV for viewing, I have no qualms about using DX mode with the lens as well.

I endorse the coffeeman‘s comment above, and curiously, I also use the Kase magnetic filters! I’ve been using a 14-30 for a couple of years and can attest to the quality of the build and the quality of the images. The compact design comes at the minor cost of that one second delay in deployment as the lens is extended. It’s always in my bag.

I picked one up as a walk around and travel lens for my Z6II and like it enough I kept it for use with my Z9. It’s a very nice and versatile lens that delivers great images.

I also have one and really like it. It's a great wide angle lens with excellent build quality. I do a lot of waterfall photography so I wanted a lens that could take screw on circular polarizer.

I have one I purchased a few months ago to complete my Z S-line trilogy on my Z8: 14-30, 24-120 and 100-400. It is very light, compact, and sharp, can take a filter and is a permanent resident in my camera bag. I traded my F 16-35 f4 with no regrets. Personally, I haven't used it all that much, as 24mm is typically wide enough for what I shoot, but it is nice to have and would be great for shooting cityscapes, indoors, as well as landscapes such as waterfalls. There are lots of reviews of it on YouTube -- all positive -- which helped me make a decision.

Last edited:
Another satisfied owner of the 14-30 f4S. I also appreciate the 82mm filter attachment, which takes the 100 filter system (I use NiSi).
Two earlier threads

Great travel lens, especially when paired with 24-120 f/4.

I use it on Z30 so it’s less wide in terms of 35mm equivalent for me personally but 21mm - 45mm full frame equivalent on Z30 works well enough for my tastes.

The 14-24 f/2.8 is definitely optically superior but the f/4 holds its own and I recommend it to anybody starting out with their kits without hesitation if they don’t want to move up to the f/2.8 version.

I love my 14-30. Goes on all my trips. I don't do Astro so I decided on this one as it travels easier (lighter more compact). I have Kase 82mm magnetic filters for it.
I am not a pro, just enjoy making stories of our travels. Here is one from last week. Happy to try to answer any specific questions. Oh and since we mostly put our images on our 75" TV for viewing, I have no qualms about using DX mode with the lens as well.

Great photo, just need to straighten that horizon 😉

But with the sushi and sake, it wasn't straight to begin with. 😂

Interesting that you noticed that since LR thinks it's level.
Always one of the first things I look for in photos, especially landscape photos, since that was the one of the first things my teachers “trained” me on. I don’t know how in the world Lr thinks that’s straight but just goes to show computers and code aren’t always perfect. You sure Lr didn’t get into some of that sake?! 😆

I have one I purchased a few months ago to complete my Z S-line trilogy on my Z8: 14-30, 24-120 and 100-400. It is very light, compact, and sharp, can take a filter and is a permanent resident in my camera bag. I traded my F 16-35 f4 with no regrets. Personally, I haven't used it all that much, as 24mm is typically wide enough for what I shoot, but it is nice to have and would be great for shooting cityscapes, indoors, as well as landscapes such as waterfalls. There are lots of reviews of it on YouTube -- all positive -- which helped me make a decision.
I shoot news and my smallest bag is 14-30 & 24-200. My next option is 14-30, 24-120, and 70-200 but I am going to substitute 100-400 for daylight work based on what you use. Glad I read your post!

Glad to hear these positive reviews. Thom Hogan did not give it very high praise and it made me think twice about it.
He recommends the lens conditionally, that’s high enough praise. His thoughts on the lens are accurate as compared to other optics, especially the 14-24 f/2.8 being a tremendous amount superior optically, but he does acknowledge the 14-30 has its place in certain kits where maybe you want to go lighter and 14-30 and 24-120 f/4 (or 24-70 f/4) make sense.

Always one of the first things I look for in photos, especially landscape photos, since that was the one of the first things my teachers “trained” me on. I don’t know how in the world Lr thinks that’s straight but just goes to show computers and code aren’t always perfect. You sure Lr didn’t get into some of that sake?! 😆
Lr does't always get 'straight' right unless adjusted manually. Lr does a good job overall, but not perfect. Best of luck!

It's a great lens though the inability to do astro is a big drawback IMHO. I've stopped owning a bunch of WA's because I found myself traveling with fewer lenses and when I wanted WA effects it was easy to accomplish with a normal lens (usually with less distortion and sharper corners). Obviously, when one is looking for the deliberate distortion that a WA affords it's easier to shoot with a WA than having to stitch and distort in post.

I’m contemplating adding the Nikkor Z 14-30mm f/4 S to my gear. Does anyone here use one? If so, what are your thoughts on the overall quality?
I’m contemplating adding the Nikkor Z 14-30mm f/4 S to my gear. Does anyone here use one? If so, what are your thoughts on the overall quality?
It's a very nice lens but if you ever handle a 14-24 f/2.8 S you'll won't be happy with the limitations of the 14-30. They are not even close performance wise.

It's a very nice lens but if you ever handle a 14-24 f/2.8 S you'll won't be happy with the limitations of the 14-30. They are not even close performance wise.
I own both and from my experience with using it for landscape photography, you really have to pixel peep or print extremely large to see any difference (which is very small). Reviews for the 14-30 are that it measures up well against the F-mount 14-24 which is certainly no slouch. I actually prefer the 14-30 due to the 82mm filters and compact size. I purchased the 14-24 primarily for astro, but am thinking of selling it and using the 20/1.8 instead.

Back