Nikon 100-400 and 400 f/2.8 S, teleconverter Reviews - Thom Hogan

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Here's the funny thing about his review, check out the chart on this page

He uses a star system here. 5 stars means "Well beyond expectations, extraordinary"

The 400/2.8TC is the ONLY lens he gives 5 stars to for optics AND features! Yet not Highly Recommended as it should be

Go figure, I think this is a personal issue for him, maybe he has smaller hands? If so I get that but that's a personal thing. Still his conclusion says "That said, the fact that the 400mm f/2.8 is dual personality at the touch of a lever (400mm f/2.8 or 560mm f/4) and that it is so optically excellent at virtually every aspect, if you're looking for the best possible telephoto, the 400mm f/2.8 S is where you'll find it at the moment."

He highly recommends the 100-400mm, though. ?
Yes and note that lens only gets 4 stars in each category! So his recommendation seems to be determined on his personal preference to how easy it is to reach the controls. Not a very good system to use for recommendations but it's his website!

Yes and note that lens only gets 4 stars in each category! So his recommendation seems to be determined on his personal preference to how easy it is to reach the controls. Not a very good system to use for recommendations but it's his website!

i get the feeling he values his self imposed "rules" he uses for his reviews over what he communicates to the reader

Last edited:
Back