Nikon 180-600 - Photo Share & Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Agree! But, Steve did mention that he couldn’t include the 200-500 in the comparison because he no longer owns one. Maybe if someone were willing to donate one to the cause?
Oh! Thanks, I didn't know that fact - I assumed that Steve would have kept the 200-500mm and as part of his lens library.

Second thought - I wished that Steve did a comparison between the 200-500mm vs the 180-600mm to settle any doubts or assumptions. That would be a very good comparison I think since I suspect that people who purchase the newer lens would want to see if it's worth an upgrade. Steve? ;)
IMO…if you’re shooting Z bodies…the Z lenses are going to be an upgrade for a lot of reasons…designed with better optical software, new/better coatings, wider throat, more controls to customize, shorter zoom throws, etc. Tha doesn’t make F mounts no longer take good shots…just like the Zs don’t make older bodies no longer take good shots. But tech has marched on and I’m guessing most of us have either moved or are moving to Z bodies for all the new things they can do…and it makes sense to do the same with lenses.

And personally…we re all spending too much time comparing the polishing on our cannonballs and debating which mirror like finish is better…but that’s what the internet is for, right??🥹🥹

IMO…if you’re shooting Z bodies…the Z lenses are going to be an upgrade for a lot of reasons…designed with better optical software, new/better coatings, wider throat, more controls to customize, shorter zoom throws, etc. Tha doesn’t make F mounts no longer take good shots…just like the Zs don’t make older bodies no longer take good shots. But tech has marched on and I’m guessing most of us have either moved or are moving to Z bodies for all the new things they can do…and it makes sense to do the same with lenses.

And personally…we re all spending too much time comparing the polishing on our cannonballs and debating which mirror like finish is better…but that’s what the internet is for, right??🥹🥹
Fair points, but not everyone has transitioned to ML, myself included. Call me a relic or simply stubborn (I’m probably both), but I’m still trying mentally to justify the financial outlay that would be required for me to make the change, for what I do. I’m just an enthusiastic amateur, and my D850s do just about everything I need from a camera, as do my F-mount lenses. Do I wish that I had more advanced AF? Of course, but is it a make or break situation for me? Not really. Do I really want faster frame rates? Maybe, maybe not (I spend too much time already reviewing image files). Speaking personally then, what I’m especially interested in is better optics that will significantly improve the quality of my images. If Z-mount lenses offer enough of an edge, then I‘d definitely give more serious consideration to moving to a ML platform. Otherwise, the jury is out, for me at least.

Last edited:
Fair points, but not everyone has transitioned to ML, myself included. Call me a relic or simply stubborn (I’m probably both), but I’m still trying mentally to justify the financial outlay that would be required for me to make the change, for what I do. I’m just an enthusiastic amateur, and my D850s do just about everything I need from a camera, as do my F-mount lenses. Do I wish that I had more advanced AF? Of course, but is a make or break for me? Not really. Do I really want faster frame rates? Maybe, maybe not (I spend too much time already reviewing image files). Speaking personally then, what I’m especially interested in is better optics that will significantly improve the quality of my images. If Z-mount lenses offer enough of an edge, then I‘d definitely give more serious consideration to moving to a ML platform. Otherwise, the jury is out, for me at least.
Nothing wrong with being a relic…I’m there too…or with stying with what one has because we are either too broke or too cheap to upgrade. But if using F mount bodies the pn the goodness or not of Z lenses compared to Fs is irrelevant since they don’t fit. The Z lenses are generally better, smaller, and lighter than F counterparts…but that may or may not be a reason to switch and I’m not going to look down at people that haven’t, won’t, or can’t…but I think that most but maybe it’s only 55 or 60% have moved partially or completely to Z.

I was not happy at the beginning... something was off concerning sharpness. Until the 180 600 I was using as long lens the 300 pf alone or with the 1.4 TC. IT WAS ME.I had to learn how to manage 600 mm and a bigger glass. After 2 weeks I love it
🙂
Not too heavy, satisfactory, flexible. 600 mm f 6.3 1/800 s 11400 ISO on Z8.
View attachment 72729
I don’t understand why my photos look terrible. I had the 200 500 on my Z72 and it worked great. I used it on my Z8 and it works great. I just got the 180-600 it’s terrible. I seem to have noise, no matter what I do. I think I have a bad copy because I don’t know what’s wrong?

I don’t understand why my photos look terrible. I had the 200 500 on my Z72 and it worked great. I used it on my Z8 and it works great. I just got the 180-600 it’s terrible. I seem to have noise, no matter what I do. I think I have a bad copy because I don’t know what’s wrong?
Post examples. That's the only way anyone can help

After looking at George’s set, I’m not sure what else people need to see. Those photos are spectacular. Razor sharp and beautifully exposed. I’ve seen the 200-500 give similar results but you can’t go to 600mm and you loose all the functionality of a Z lens. I have no skin in the game. I don’t own either lens and prefer primes but if I were to purchase one, I wouldn’t hesitate to get the 180-600.
Personally, I’m eyeing the 800 pf

As has been noted…it’s really hard to make much of a judgement on IQ with the downsampled and compressed shots here…but having looked at your 200-500 shots…they’re fine…just as the 180-600 are. We all think our shots are the best ever…but you’re comparing apples to oranges shots…and there are so few straight shooters in any review business particularly in the journalism business that its hard to trust most of them. Steve and a few others we’ve learned to trust. As I said…your shots looked fine but your pronouncement that they’re better in feather detail and whatever else you said is (a) just your opinion and more importantly (b) completely subjective. I’m not trying to irritate anybody including you as we are all friends here…but without essentially identical shots at the same exposure settings by reasonably equivalent users and looked at on a monitor and not the web such declarations are presumptive to me. Perhaps the reason people disagree is that Steve has said it’s just fine used properly and we are seeing the admittedly downsampled and compressed shots and they look pretty darned good. Remember…the 80/4 rule applies to a good shot. Nobody is dismissing the 200-500 as a bad lens…it was fine in its day but had some issues. I never had one so no personal experience…but the Tamron G2 was back then generally considered to be as good and I did have one of those…and my 500PF was definitely better than the Tamron so better than the equivalent 200-500 as well…and it’s pretty much been shown that the Z mounts are better across the board. Pricewise…the 200-500 and 180-600 are to me in the same ballpark price point…and given the wider throat, shorter flange distance, and newer/better optical design software we have today…I would expect the 180-600 to be better if you’re looking at lens test charts. But I don’t care bout shooting lens test charts…I care about real subjects…and have seen mostly excellent shots from the 180-600 here and elsewhere…just as I have from the 200-500, but pixel peeping isn’t much for me either, I care if I like the pose, lighting, and PP to make a nice image a whole lot more.
I think "pixel peeping" has a radically undeserved bad name, or maybe a better way of putting it is that I'd say that while it's definitely possible to "pixel peep" and look at an image too closely, most of what people call pixel peeping isn't really pixel peeping. What a lot of review sites and videos do where they blow a photo up to 200% to compare things - that I'd say is pixel peeping and if you have to zoom in to that level to find a problem than I'd say the photo is fine.

Looking at photos at 75% or 85% or up to 100%, though, is I think an important tool for evaluating and comparison. The fact is that just about any lens one could possibly attach to the camera can produce shots that all look almost identical at the sizes photos often display on sites like this, but to me photos that look good at those sizes may be fine for Instagram or similar uses but if they don't look good when viewed at a larger size, too, then they're inadequate for a lot of things I care about a lot more than social media posts. This is why to me getting a higher resolution file if available and viewing at a larger size is essential to try to determine things like, for instance, whether a given lens will produce sharp enough images.

Some people insist there's more to a lens than sharpness and it's true that there is. There's more to a house than a roof, too but if you don't start out with a roof on top then it doesn't matter how good the rest of the house is, it's not going to be a good house to live in. I see sharpness like that: it's not all there is to a lens, but it's absolutely essential as a bare minimum.

Last edited:
Sweet, we get some actual sunlight today! I love dreary overcast as much as the next photographer, but it's nice to switch it up from time to time. On the other hand, perhaps the less-than-ideal conditions are beneficial because it gives you a chance to see how the lens performs when you don't have the perfectly lit, sunny day conditions. Make lemonade, I guess 🤷‍♂️

Now that it's winter, the variety of bird photos to share is going to drop drastically, so I'm hesitant to share the same Junco and Nuthatch shots for fear of boring everyone 😌 Especially at the present, when most of my shots have been made for comparisons w/ the 600PF, as well as to assess lens sharpness/clarity/performance, so I'm taking whatever birds I can get in front of me in my backyard area, and they're not the most exciting haha

After each outing with the 180-600, I'm expecting to finally find some fault or weakness in the resultant photos, but even under these blah conditions, the lens just keeps delivering. Sharpness and clarity are phenomenal, along with color rendition and bokeh. I pretty much think this is the best zoom I've ever used.

Compared to the 600PF: I'm having trouble in post trying to find any discernible differences in the photos. Someone with a more exacting eye may be able to pick out some nits, but I can't. Were someone to need advice on which to choose, I'd base my recommendations purely on the size/weight/cost, not IQ.

NIKON Z 8untitled_20231029_196-Enhanced-NR-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
NIKON Z 8untitled_20231029_196-Enhanced-NR-3.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I've been watching some more youtube videos which have confirmed what Steve observed and they have largely assuaged my fears. Reading these forums, one would think to avoid this lens like the plague but what I'm seeing suggests otherwise.

I've been watching some more youtube videos which have confirmed what Steve observed and they have largely assuaged my fears. Reading these forums, one would think to avoid this lens like the plague but what I'm seeing suggests otherwise.
Being a non-S "budget" lens, maybe there isn't as high of quality control, and there's copy variance. It's totally possible, and it sucks that is something we have to deal with. As it has been in the past, just make sure you get it from a reputable dealer so that you have returns if you get a copy you aren't satisfied with.

What I can guarantee, is that if I were to give this lens to you/anyone to test, or you land a good copy when you buy, you'll be completely satisfied with its performance, if not blown away :)

Last edited:
Being a non-S "budget" lens, maybe there isn't as high of quality control, and there's copy variance. It's totally possible, and it sucks that is something we have to deal with. As it has been in the past, just make sure you get it from a reputable dealer so that you have returns if you get a copy you aren't satisfied with.

What I can guarantee, is that if I were to give this lens to you/anyone to test, or you land a good copy when you buy, you'll be completely satisfied with its performance, if not blown away :)

Matthew, if more of the examples people were posting around the internet looked like yours I wouldn't be questioning this lens. You are definitely putting out the best results I've seen.

From my own perception of the lens so far after looking closely at some pictures I took of a subject at f6.3, f7.1 and f8.0, I believe that f8.0 is the sharpest - feather details are just a tad bit sharper, while at f6.3, the feathers slightly appear soft, and when I mean slightly, I mean very slight. Honestly, one wouldn't be able to see the difference WITHOUT pixel peeping at 100%+. f7.1 and f6.3 is VERY close as well, and so close that I'd probably save the fstop and shoot at f7.1 if I had to, or if conditions permit, go to f8 for sure. Post processing at f6.3 will likely bring it up to the sharpness of f7.1/f8.0 as is.

I'm hoping others can conclude the same as I have.

Sadly, I think this might be the case - in Steve's videos, he says the same - his results might differ from others due to copy variation.

I don't know what Nikon does in terms of quality control, and if it's different for their S lens or more expensive lenses, I think they really really need to stop discriminating that. A budget lens might not be a budget lens for some folks and we can't all afford a 600mm or 800mm prime, so Nikon needs to recognize that and treat all their consumers equally.

I think "pixel peeping" has a radically undeserved bad name, or maybe a better way of putting it is that I'd say that while it's definitely possible to "pixel peep" and look at an image too closely, most of what people call pixel peeping isn't really pixel peeping. What a lot of review sites and videos do where they blow a photo up to 200% to compare things - that I'd say is pixel peeping and if you have to zoom in to that level to find a problem than I'd say the photo is fine.

Looking at photos at 75% or 85% or up to 100%, though, is I think an important tool for evaluating and comparison. The fact is that just about any lens one could possibly attach to the camera can produce shots that all look almost identical at the sizes photos often display on sites like this, but to me photos that look good at those sizes may be fine for Instagram or similar uses but if they don't look good when viewed at a larger size, too, then they're inadequate for a lot of things I care about a lot more than social media posts. This is why to me getting a higher resolution file if available and viewing at a larger size is essential to try to determine things like, for instance, whether a given lens will produce sharp enough images.

Some people insist there's more to a lens than sharpness and it's true that there is. There's more to a house than a roof, too but if you don't start out with a roof on top then it doesn't matter how good the rest of the house is, it's not going to be a good house to live in. I see sharpness like that: it's not all there is to a lens, but it's absolutely essential as a bare minimum.
You’re right…zooming in is good tp check for things…but going in to 1:1 which I think is the generallyaccepted definition of peeping and judging lens A vs B sharpness seems like a fools errand to me..Yes…ypu might see differences but when looking at the ctual zoom for print or downsampled for screen…the majority of those perceived sharpness differences disappear…and then better becomes the enemy of good enough.

You’re right…zooming in is good tp check for things…but going in to 1:1 which I think is the generallyaccepted definition of peeping and judging lens A vs B sharpness seems like a fools errand to me..Yes…ypu might see differences but when looking at the ctual zoom for print or downsampled for screen…the majority of those perceived sharpness differences disappear…and then better becomes the enemy of good enough.
I think this is probably true for many types of photography, but for wildlife photography in particular - and possibly sports, too - I think viewing at greater levels of zoom can be essential because you're often cropping and sometimes are cropping significantly so that the extra sharpness you can discern between one lens or another may be the difference between an image that can be cropped and processed into something worthwhile or usable and one that can't.

We always try to avoid cropping and some people often can depending on a lot of factors, some of which can be mitigated by improvements in skill and craft but others which are based on things that are harder to change like the locations available to a person.

Some of my favorite images I've taken were done on an old 70-300 DX lens that doesn't stand up well to cropping at all but looks plenty sharp because I was able to largely fill the frame. Others were taken on my 200-500 and look great even at decent sizes even though I had to crop somewhat heavily because the copy is sharp enough to bear it but which wouldn't be usable photos if my lens were not as sharp as it is when viewed at a larger size, even if it were hard to tell the difference from the non-cropped original.

Back