Nikon 180-600 Preview

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Len Shepherd

Supporting Member
Marketplace
My serial number is over 25,000 - implying Nikon released a very large quantity on 31st August.

Of interest to me for flowers (and bird photography) is that it covers a 9 inch wide subject at 180mm - gradually improving to 6 inch wide at 600 - with a working distance at 600mm (front element to subject) of 6 feet.

The maximum aperture reduces to f6 around 300mm and f6.3 around 500mm.

Provided the camera body easily detects a subject (regular pre-focus helps with long lenses) AF is surprising fast - though not quite up to to the 400 f2.8 S or 400 f4 S I handled last week at WEX in UK.
I have not yet done a full comparison - I estimate AF is at least as fast as the 100-400 S.

The lens hood I consider good.

The screw clamp-on tripod collar has a shiny clear plastic inner lining - and rotates easily once the locking knob is sufficiently loosened.

The lens foot is longer than that of the 100-400 - making carrying by the collar easier.
There is a 3/8 inch second tripod thread toward the front of the lens collar foot.

With the weight of nearly 4.5 pounds; Nikon warn camera straps should be used to avoid lens/body flange distortion.
There is no lens strap in the box.
There is the usual "close to useless IMO" cloth lens pouch.

I have opted for a Nikon LN-4 long lens strap retail about £46 including 20% sales tax in the UK.
I have unused ones for the 180-400 F and 800 PF for which I use the separate shoulder bags.
Z lenses like the 800 PF come with a narrower width LN-4 and narrower strap lugs than F lenses. The F version strap can be fitted to the 180-600 with some picture dexterity.

LN-4 fore F and Z lens straps

BOG 4 - LN-4.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

My first test yesterday morning was Grass of Parnassus (Parnassian palustris) - where the individual flower heads are about half an inch in size

At f6.3
BCG f6.3.jpg

At f11

BOG F11.jpg

At f16 - background softened

BOG f16 Background softened in Lightroom.jpg

Renée's favourite

BOG 4 - Renees favourite.jpg

Bokeh circles can be induced

BCG Bokeh circles.jpg

So far I am very happy with this new lens

Late Edit - size comparison

Size comparison.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all this information and useful comparison images.

If you have the lens hood on inverted as normal. Looks like there is plenty of room for a variety of sizes Arca Swiss plates. Most come with 1/4 holes so an adapter would be needed. The Kirk ones have the QD hole though.

Thanks for the information. Does the tripod collar remove easily?
Fairly easily - it is reminiscent of the one for early 80-400 though it seems much better engineered

For more detail on using it - https://download.nikonimglib.com/ar...0DcR18OHbtH18/Z180-600_5.6-6.3VRRG_(En)01.pdf - starting at page 26.

There are several cautions about keeping the locking knob tight !

Photo of collar fully open for collar removal.

180-600 tripod collar 1.jpg

Photo of securing knob.

180-600 tripod collar 2.jpg

your thread reminded me i didn't have a good way to carry my incoming lens.

can you show how you attach the strap? ie, do you only carry with the strap to the lens, or do you have a safety to the camera body as well?

Fairly easily - it is reminiscent of the one for early 80-400 though it seems much better engineered

For more detail on using it - https://download.nikonimglib.com/ar...0DcR18OHbtH18/Z180-600_5.6-6.3VRRG_(En)01.pdf - starting at page 26.

There are several cautions about keeping the locking knob tight !

Photo of collar fully open for collar removal.
I picked mine up from the local store. The tripod collar is the only thing I'm not impressed with. Awfully light weight. An looks like it'll be subject to trapping abrassive grit underneath. It's almost as if the lens is designed to be shot handheld but they threw a collar in at the last minute. Another opportunity for the third party vendors. I guess the good new is that if you don't plan to use it on a tripod it can just stay tight all the time.

Clock is now ticking for both RRS and Kirk to release a replacement collars. That is going to be high on my to do list. I'm waiting patiently to get mine. Hopefully Nikon will get around to shipping their Nikon store orders soon.

I have the 100-400mm lens and think the Nikon lens hood is very poorly designed --too thin and likely will fail easily if bumped. Is the lens hood on the 180-600mm better built/more sturdy?

your thread reminded me i didn't have a good way to carry my incoming lens.

can you show how you attach the strap? ie, do you only carry with the strap to the lens, or do you have a safety to the camera body as well?
I have the same Question too if someone can answer? and waiting for the 180-600. I have never owned a large lens although I have an 80-400, I normally carry it and have the straps on the camera only - but I hold the kit with the lens and try to never hold ONLY the camera.

Isn't it also weird that if this lens is designed for being hand held, that the strap lugs are on the tripod collar, which I'd assume you'd leave off if you're carrying it and not using the tripod.

With my z70-200 I have a QD Kent plate on the lens foot, and a safety to a plate attached to the camera base too.

Isn't it also weird that if this lens is designed for being hand held, that the strap lugs are on the tripod collar, which I'd assume you'd leave off if you're carrying it and not using the tripod.

With my z70-200 I have a QD Kent plate on the lens foot, and a safety to a plate attached to the camera base too.
Yes I did a double take when I saw the image above.

A lot of people like to carry these lenses with the tripod foot as a handle - heck I think I've seen basically every photography youtuber carrying their lenses around this way in videos - and maybe a smaller group but still quite a lot like to hand hold long lenses by resting the tripod foot on their hand. Going by what I read on forums and see people say/do, I think a sizable majority of people keep the tripod collar on when handholding.

A lot of people like to carry these lenses with the tripod foot as a handle - heck I think I've seen basically every photography youtuber carrying their lenses around this way in videos - and maybe a smaller group but still quite a lot like to hand hold long lenses by resting the tripod foot on their hand. Going by what I read on forums and see people say/do, I think a sizable majority of people keep the tripod collar on when handholding.
On your last point - I believe you are right.

Starting at the very beginning is a very good place to start - still true 50 years after The sound of Music launch.

https://download.nikonimglib.com/ar...0DcR18OHbtH18/Z180-600_5.6-6.3VRRG_(En)01.pdf - about page 26 - shows exactly how to attach a strap for maximum strap fitting security.

Most recent Nikon long lenses with strap eyelets seem to have the collar strap eyelets on the rotating collar - I expect to facilitate carrying of the lens with the body in landscape or portrait position.

The 180-600 with Z8 can be held by the foot by an 88 year old lady.

Hand hold 1.jpg

I use a Montana AS-100-2M from Amazon. It has a1/4 and a 3/8 screw for this type of Nikon tripod foot.
Although 3/8 to 1/4 adaptors are available those in the UK raise above the metal surface of the plate, reducing the surface rubber footprint with more risk of twist.

Hand hold 3.jpg

Interesting - those instructions take me in circles. If I use the a strap attached to the camera ALONE, how will that damage the mount on the lens since it's not attached to that.
View attachment 68799
Because it's possible the weight of the lens could warp/bend/whatever the mount if it's unsupported. Probably mostly there for legal reasons, but I suspect there's some truth to it. Especially if you ram the lens into something at the other end and it turns the lens into a lever

Interesting - those instructions take me in circles. If I use the a strap attached to the camera ALONE, how will that damage the mount on the lens since it's not attached to that.
View attachment 68799
Alone here doesn't mean that the camera body has no lens attached: it means that the strap is only attached to the camera body and is not attached to the lens also.

The tripod collar is the only thing I'm not impressed with. Awfully light weight.
Maybe yes - maybe no :)

Lightweight pedal cycle standards are designed so that brake fittings, seat pin locks etc are designed to be tightened to 60 mph + standard with little more than finger tight pressure :)

While I rarely get above 45 mph at my age, as a former cycle race mechanic and with over 300,000 miles in my legs I can confirm these standards work safely.

Back