Nikon 180-600 Sharpness And AF Speed Tests!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am liked you. I have the 600 tc, ani wanted another lens with good reach and light for hiking. Since I am more interested in wildlife, I bought the 400 mm f4.5. I was surprised how light and sharp this lens is. I take it on all my long hike with the 70-200 mm f 2.8. And it works very well for me. I decide to get a telephoto zoom and I ordered the 180- 600 mm. But i am still favouring my two combo lens for hike. And sometimes I add to it the 24-70 f 2.8 when I know there might be possibilité for some landscape, like now with fall Color.
The best things to do is to rent some lenses. You try them in your hiking and you see which one suit you the most. The 400 mm f4.5 can be used with a tc and I heard good review about that. Myself, I don’t like to use external Tc except when I want the shot and I don’t have any chance to get it without tc.

I would prefer to get just one. I'm torn between the 400 and zoom. I like the size and weight of the 400 f4.5 and own a TC 1.4, and the flexibility and reasonable price of the zoom. I'm leaning towards lower size and weight but if the zoom quality at 400mm is comparable I lean the other way.

LengthWeightPrice
NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S15.2 in.84.1 oz.
$6,499.95​
NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S9.3 in.41.0 oz.
$3,249.95​
NIKKOR Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 VR12.5 in.68.96 oz.
$1,699.95​
NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S8.8 in.50.6 oz.
$2,699.95​

Last edited:
I would prefer to get just one. I'm torn between the 400 and zoom. I like the size and weight of the 400 f4.5 and own a TC 1.4, and the flexibility and reasonable price of the zoom. I'm leaning towards lower size and weight but if the zoom quality at 400mm is comparable I lean the other way.

LengthWeightPrice
NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S15.2 in.84.1 oz.
$6,499.95​
NIKKOR Z 400mm f/4.5 VR S9.3 in.41.0 oz.
$3,249.95​
NIKKOR Z 180-600mm f/5.6-6.3 VR12.5 in.68.96 oz.
$1,699.95​
NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S8.8 in.50.6 oz.
$2,699.95​

Maybe in your case the 100-400 makes more sens than the others. It is light and zoom which gives more flexibility and also it is an S lens. Plus with 1.4 tc gets you to 560 with almost no quality image lost. Rent it before you buy it and see if it suit your need. That what I do to make sure I make the good decision.

Hi Steve, excellent video! Where did you find the wall target that you ran these tests on? I have some lenses I want to try sharpness tests on, and this target would be perfect!

Last edited:
Wow. Found one, but its pricey!
This is a bit more reasonable:

The problem is the size of those. The first is too large, the second too small. 18x12 is ideal (well, at least for me LOL). The first one is really nice though - I like that better than the one I'm using.

I'm also not sure if the second one is ideal for testing. You really want fine detail all over and that doesn't seem to have it, The circles are OK, not as good in my experience as tiny lettering or lines.

Took out the Nikon 180-600 and it performed nice, a bit on the heavy side but good value for the price. Just posting a few metal birds....

Attachments

• WM17.jpg
    WM17.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 52
  • WM3.jpg
    WM3.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 59
  • WM8.jpg
    WM8.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 51
The problem is the size of those. The first is too large, the second too small. 18x12 is ideal (well, at least for me LOL). The first one is really nice though - I like that better than the one I'm using.

I'm also not sure if the second one is ideal for testing. You really want fine detail all over and that doesn't seem to have it, The circles are OK, not as good in my experience as tiny lettering or lines.
I'm going to keep looking. Let me know if you find something. Tx.

I'm going to keep looking. Let me know if you find something. Tx.
Will do. I'd love to just find a replacement for the one I have. Although, the one you found would be even better if it were smaller. My problem is that a larger one like that will end up too large for my workspace - I think. I might have to do some tests at 840mm to see if that size is OK.

George interesting; your thoughts on his observations, especially with the 1.4TC?
I have hardly used the 1.4TC to really comment on it. The one or 2 times I used it seemed pretty good to me but I have the 800pf so I normally use that when I know I need the reach! Other than that I think the lens is a keeper for me without a doubt!

Will do. I'd love to just find a replacement for the one I have. Although, the one you found would be even better if it were smaller. My problem is that a larger one like that will end up too large for my workspace - I think. I might have to do some tests at 840mm to see if that size is OK.
If you find a good test chart, after you buy your copy(ies), please post what you got. Thanks

Maybe in your case the 100-400 makes more sens than the others. It is light and zoom which gives more flexibility and also it is an S lens. Plus with 1.4 tc gets you to 560 with almost no quality image lost. Rent it before you buy it and see if it suit your need. That what I do to make sure I make the good decision.
Yep..looking at the video the 180-600 is better a little at longer lengths than the 100-400…but as he said it is at 200% crop and while he said a side by side shot with both would show a difference it comes down to the weight vs a little better IQ vs personal taste and output ut (screen vs print). The biggest factor comes down to weight and if one is willing to carry the extra weight of the 180-600 or not. Lots of competing factors nd needs and wants.

I finally got around to watching this now, as I do need a longer lens since I switched to Z8. This video is extremely helpful and I am impressed by performance of the Z 180-600. Only problem is weight, essentially same size as Sony 200-600 which I used for a year and a half and loved evertyhing other than weight (and Sony body).

I am looking at 400 f4.5 or 100-400 or Tamron 150-500, but all things considered (including price) I am reconsidering the 180-600.

Back