Nikon 200-600 Interest?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have and use the Sony 200-600 on my Z9. It's superior in every way to the Niion 200-500, in my opinion. If Nikon can even just match the Sony in terms of image quality and ergonomics, they will have a winner. I would buy it, if only because it will be much easier to use a TC on a Z mount natiive lens.

No interest, i mean if it was much smaller lighter etc than the 200-500, that's different.
Also the 200-500 i have is exceptionally good, especially since i modified it into a super fast push pull that lets me frame tightly a subject even at 15-20 fps, an extra 100mm isn't important for me. That said Unless the 200-600 lens is spectacularly better, that would be a influence.
I gravitate to quantum benefits, not marginal.

Only an opinion

I hope the Nikon 200-600 is as good if not better than the Sony 200-600, yes the benefits of Z TCs can help but gee when you add up the massively overpriced Nikon Z Tcs which i frankly feel is nothing but a price gouge, it doesn't make it a cheap lens.

Only an opinion

Hi O
I bought the 200-500 for the d500 and was disappointed. too heavy, too slow autofocus and you can't zoom with one rotation from 200 to 500. so I sold it again and bought the 500pf. yes, and i'm waiting for the 200-600 and hope that the quality will match the sony 200-600. i own the z100-400 and i appreciate the flexibility, but more focal length is always better.
my opinion

Hi O
I bought the 200-500 for the d500 and was disappointed. too heavy, too slow autofocus and you can't zoom with one rotation from 200 to 500. so I sold it again and bought the 500pf. yes, and i'm waiting for the 200-600 and hope that the quality will match the sony 200-600. i own the z100-400 and i appreciate the flexibility, but more focal length is always better.
my opinion

With the 100-400 how do you find it optically is it really as sharp as claimed, any disappointments, i have it on my radar.
So optically how do you find the 500 pf, similar or far better compared to the 200-500.
Yes its not a light lens hand holding, i use mine on a mono pod or tripod.

With the zooming on the 200-500 agree its long and slow, but i had my local camera technician modify the lens internally to be able to push pull it rather that turn, its super fast and i can constantly tightly frame any subject in a split second at any frame rate, unless the mod is done properly its not advisable, my lens new only cost around $1000 USD, the mod cost $100 cash at the time.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
While I'm not a pixel peeper, I'm very happy with the sharpness of the 100-400. And I think that the 500 PF on the Z9 is even a bit sharper than on the D500.
For me it's just a matter of waiting until we learn more about the 200-600 and whether it will then be available.

Not sure about the 200-600 on the road map, if it is not S-line that would suggest: slower focus motors, less weather sealing, less coatings, wider aperture. At the lower end I find the flexability of a zoom a priority so the 100-400mm and 800PF combo works well for me. There is a gap in the 600mm range, but for my subjects (mostly birds) and video where I want to fill the frame and not crop the 800 is ideal. I looked at the 400 with 1.4TC to the bridge the gap, but realistically I would only take one of the super telephoto lens on a flight so decided to pass on the 400mm TC. There are F-mount high-end zoom lenses that I feel sure Nikon will convert to Z mount at some stage so my approach is to wait for one of those. However, I would be delighted if the 200-600 turns out to be great lens and would consider replacing my 100-400 with it.

This is going to be a big seller for Nikon, no doubt about it! Just as the f-mount 200-500 was. Having said that, I’m not purchasing it. I have the 100-400 and the 500 PF so I think I have that focal range covered. If I didn’t have those two lenses I’d certainly go for the upcoming 200-600.

While I'm not a pixel peeper, I'm very happy with the sharpness of the 100-400. And I think that the 500 PF on the Z9 is even a bit sharper than on the D500.
For me it's just a matter of waiting until we learn more about the 200-600 and whether it will then be available.
Thank you

This is going to be a big seller for Nikon, no doubt about it! Just as the f-mount 200-500 was. Having said that, I’m not purchasing it. I have the 100-400 and the 500 PF so I think I have that focal range covered. If I didn’t have those two lenses I’d certainly go for the upcoming 200-600.
I just hope that the quality control is on point, where and who makes it will be of influence.

Asking for it to be as sharp as the 500PF might be unrealistic. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, though :)
S Line lenses are sharper then the F mount lenses, this is leaning a hope that it's as sharp or visually in everyday images it'll be close enough you won't tell the difference without serious pixel peeping

I'm interested in the 200(180?)-600, but not in a rush. I picked up the 200-500 at the end of 2022 - holiday sales plus promos were too good to pass up, and I didn't have anything beyond 200mm. It's my last F mount lens purchase for sure. So essentially it's a pretty low-cost option that'll cover me for some time. Perhaps until the 200-600 goes on sale someday (similar to the 400 4.5 and 100-400, not too long after release).

We won't have long to wait now: announcement coming tonight?

Yes, I'm interested in the 200-600 or whatever the final FL turns out to be. Count me in the crowd that's happy with the 100-400 and I have 500/4E so I'm probably not a buyer unless it just gobsmacks me. I might very well go with the 200-600 and the 800pf but it's wait and see what is coming before leaving my other glass behind.

EDIT: What I'd really like is a 600/5.6 PF....:cool:
Have you tried the 2.0 Z TC with the Z100-400. It is amazing.

I was waiting on the 200-600 for over a year, but in the meantime my 800 PF arrived, and I purchased an OM-1 with a 100-400, so I no longer have any use for it. When I’m out birding I can bring my OM-1/100-400 and my Z8/Z9+800 PF and cover every focal length from 200-800 (and 1200 with the 800 in crop mode) and it is not at alll cumbersome to do so.

And ...it's official!
Did you preorder. I did, and I'll decide for sure in the next few days.

$1700 :(
I thought the 70-180 price was the 180-600 price for a second and was thrilled.
Still a good budget lens, just hope it is internal zoom and is fast to be worth the price point.

Did you preorder. I did, and I'll decide for sure in the next few days.
No. I would have to sell my Sony setup to finance it and I am not sure if I want to or not. Part of me wants to go all Nikon Z to have one system, but part of me is afraid the Nikon will not be quite as sharp as the Sony. I also find it odd the Nikon does not have a switch on the lens to turn off stabilization, though honestly I never turn it off on my Sony so for a wildlife lens it's probably a moot point.

No. I would have to sell my Sony setup to finance it and I am not sure if I want to or not. Part of me wants to go all Nikon Z to have one system, but part of me is afraid the Nikon will not be quite as sharp as the Sony. I also find it odd the Nikon does not have a switch on the lens to turn off stabilization, though honestly I never turn it off on my Sony so for a wildlife lens it's probably a moot point.
Ricci’s video has some sharpness comparisons. He doesn’t compare to the Sony but to lots of Nikon lenses which should give a reasonable idea about what to expect

Watching the Ricci video I think it will hold its own against the Sony 200-600. It is neck and neck between the Z400/4.5 with 1.4TC and the 180-600. IME the 400/1.4TC is on par with the Sony 200-600. Near enough to make no real in the field difference anyways.

Back