Nikon 300PF with 1.7 Teleconverter Experiences?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I would be interested to hear members views on using a 1.7TC with the 300PF.

im seriously thinking of swapping my 200-500 f5.6 due to weight issues, I like to walk around my local nature reserves and find after a short time I’m uncomfortable with the weight.

The reason I mention 1.7tc, is that it would give me 510mm at a slight higher f stop 6.3, it’s the closest combination to the 200-500.

I mostly shot at 500mm, what I have also noted is that this lens is very good at 300mm for butterflies which is another of my interests.

i shot with D50O and also have 70-200 F4.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated 😀

FWIW - I've got a 1.7x TC and get good results with it in my use. I use it (and the 1.4x TC) with a 300mm f4 ED and an 80-200 f2.8 on every Nikon I've had from my D700 and on my Fufi XT-4 with the Fringer adaptor.

I use the 1.4 III with my 300PF almost all the time and get great results. I did try the 1.7 but found the combo unsatisfactory in terms of sharpness, focussing as well as the smaller aperture. So it wasn’t for me and it gave worse results than the 1.4, and cropping in extreme situations. (context - D500, hand held, riverside nature photography and associated birdlife). I returned the product. Hope this helps and of course your experience might differ!

I suggest take a look at this dpr thread. My copy of TC17 II works well with the 300 PF on the D850, D780 and Z7, subject to reasonable subject distances. There are quite a few other satisfied owners of this combo. But the 500 PF overtakes it on IQ - no surprise. The AF of your D500 will struggle on be too slow for some subjects at f6.7

A couple of BCG threads have posted links on TC performance, notably the stepwise penalty on IQ as magnification is increased. There is also fickle behaviour between the different telephotos, especially with the TC17 II and TC2 III. IME, TC17 works best on my 300 PF and 400 f2.8E FL (D850), and also 500 PF on a Z7 but the hit on IQ of the TC17 on my 70-200 f2.8E FL = one useless combination.

I suggest take a look at this dpr thread. My copy of TC17 II works well with the 300 PF on the D850, D780 and Z7, subject to reasonable subject distances. There are quite a few other satisfied owners of this combo. But the 500 PF overtakes it on IQ - no surprise. The AF of your D500 will struggle on be too slow for some subjects at f6.7

A couple of BCG threads have posted links on TC performance, notably the stepwise penalty on IQ as magnification is increased. There is also fickle behaviour between the different telephotos, especially with the TC17 II and TC2 III. IME, TC17 works best on my 300 PF and 400 f2.8E FL (D850), and also 500 PF on a Z7 but the hit on IQ of the TC17 on my 70-200 f2.8E FL = one useless combination.

Currently i am using the 300pf with all three converters on a Z6 II. Sold most of my gear and waiting for the Z9 specs and the rumored Z AF firmware. After its release i will decide which system to choose.
The 300PF works well on the mirrorless cameras and the image quality is relay good.
With DSLRS its a different story. The TC 17 II is usable and delivers good quality but the TC20 III is more of a last resort and i seldom used it with the D500 and D850.
You definitely have to fine tune the TC´s with DSLR´s but after fine tuning they will yield good results.
If you have enough light you should be able to do some action work with the D500 too. In this case the Z6 is lacking so fingers crossed for the rumored AF update or Z9.
And now some images with the Z6 II + TC 20 III. Spent 3 hours with a pair of ringed plovers. Those are the moments i enjoy most. They let me move close to them. Crawled slowly within close focus distance. That experience included some blue marks as the stony beach wasn't comfortable but that's a given fact in wildlife photography :D

Z62_1544.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Nikon Z6II with 300 PF + TC 20III | ISO 250 | 600mm| F9 | 1/320s

Z62_2097.jpg

Nikon Z6II with 300 PF + TC 20III | ISO 250| 600mm | F9 | 1/400s
Z62_1889.jpg

Nikon Z6II with 300 PF + TC 20III | ISO 280| 600mm | F8 | 1/800s

Z62_2042.jpg

*edit
I will try to get some images this weekend with the TC17II

Last edited:
I got great results with the TC14ii and the 300mm PF, but the 1.7ii was a mixed bag for me. I had far more near miss focus events with it that I abandoned and sold the 1.7. A friend has had the same experience, both of us with a D500.

I'd recommend the 1.4 teleconverter over the 1.7. It's easier to get good results.

I have had excellent result with the 300mm and the 1.7 TC, but it requires excellent light and technique. Depending on the camera, you may need to use the center or adjoining AF points to have reliable AF. On a DSLR, most of the AF sensors don't work well at f/6.3 or beyond wide open. The 1.4 teleconverter means you are at f/5.6 wide open, and AF tends to work with most sensors depending on the camera. Move to the 1.7 or 2.0 and you are quite limited.

Currently i am using the 300pf with all three converters on a Z6 II. Sold most of my gear and waiting for the Z9 specs and the rumored Z AF firmware. After its release i will decide which system to choose.
The 300PF works well on the mirrorless cameras and the image quality is relay good.
With DSLRS its a different story. The TC 17 II is usable and delivers good quality but the TC20 III is more of a last resort and i seldom used it with the D500 and D850.
You definitely have to fine tune the TC´s with DSLR´s but after fine tuning they will yield good results.
If you have enough light you should be able to do some action work with the D500 too. In this case the Z6 is lacking so fingers crossed for the rumored AF update or Z9.
And now some images with the Z6 II + TC 20 III. Spent 3 hours with a pair of ringed plovers. Those are the moments i enjoy most. They let me move close to them. Crawled slowly within close focus distance. That experience included some blue marks as the stony beach wasn't comfortable but that's a given fact in wildlife photography :D

View attachment 24871
Nikon Z6II with 300 PF + TC 20III | ISO 250 | 600mm| F9 | 1/320s

View attachment 24872
Nikon Z6II with 300 PF + TC 20III | ISO 250| 600mm | F9 | 1/400sView attachment 24876
Nikon Z6II with 300 PF + TC 20III | ISO 280| 600mm | F8 | 1/800s

View attachment 24870

*edit
I will try to get some images this weekend with the TC17II
Thanks for the info 😀

I'd recommend the 1.4 teleconverter over the 1.7. It's easier to get good results.

I have had excellent result with the 300mm and the 1.7 TC, but it requires excellent light and technique. Depending on the camera, you may need to use the center or adjoining AF points to have reliable AF. On a DSLR, most of the AF sensors don't work well at f/6.3 or beyond wide open. The 1.4 teleconverter means you are at f/5.6 wide open, and AF tends to work with most sensors depending on the camera. Move to the 1.7 or 2.0 and you are quite limited.
Thanks Eric
I use mine with the 1.4x a lot, and it is excellent. I have used it with the 1.7x, and it is acceptable, but there is a little loss in IQ.
Thanks for the info👍

Appreciate your help 😀🇬🇧

The TC-17E II is known to provide pretty poor results with the majority of the lenses it is compatible with from the technical perspective. However, there are some lenses that provide good results with it.
I have sold mine, but had the opportunity to try it with the 300PF ... IMHO I would just forget about using this combo.
In fact the 1.4 is the only TC I use, because with the lenses I use it is the only one that really works.

I have been really pleased with my 300 PF and the 1.4 TC. Very good Image Quality. The short minimum focal distance of the 300 PF makes it a great "macro" lens for someone with a bad back!

I just got my 500 PF a week ago, and it is nothing short of amazing! I took some shots with the 500 PF and 1.4 TC for 700 mm of "getting out and get them", and they were really good!

Get the 300 PF and 1.4 now (best image quality combo) and the 500 PF for Christmas! (you will get it eventually!!!!)

Back