Nikon 4.1 Firmware - Initial Field Report

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I had a brief chance (before our regularly scheduled Saturday rain started) to try the new firmware with the 800pf. This is the set-up I'm most familiar with. I could have used the 180-600 but as I don't have a previous frame of reference for that lens I decide to remove that variable. My impressions are that Bird AF SD is much better than anything before. It grabbed the eye of egrets very fast and stayed stuck to the GBH in flight as it passed in front of trees. The real test will be after the leaves fall and only the vertical trunks are left. As the osprey have left for the year, I'll reserve final opinion for next spring when I can better compare.
I hope to be able to test the new airplane SD mode in the next few weeks.....if it ever stops raining or winding on weekends.......

That is amazing! You are so lucky to be able to photograph them! I was all over the places in Quebec and Maritimes where they were spotted. I only could get some shot for them, from Far and with awful light ( harsh mid day sun). Bravo for this beautiful shot
Thanks very much, Activert. Much appreciated!

These pair have been nesting at this spot for at least the last 12 years that I have been going there, which is on a cliff face next to the ocean. They usually have 2 or 3 young and they always generally all make it to adulthood. I would suggest trying to find a spot where they have a nest and stake that area out, but don't get too close to the nest as you don't want to spook them. They will then fly off to get food for the young and keep coming back, sort of a captive area to observe them from. Either that, or come over to Sydney about this time of year and I can take you to them. :)

Last edited:
I found a problem. Updated firmware. Set for birds in Menu. Tried out the new firmware and found locking on very difficult. The solution was I didn't check my i menu settings. They were not correct. I have changed the same. I went out this morning, Aus time, and everything was great.
I hope everyone checks the above, Hey I admit I took the easy route.
Thank you to Steve for his pointers on this and other updates

I found a problem. Updated firmware. Set for birds in Menu. Tried out the new firmware and found locking on very difficult. The solution was I didn't check my i menu settings. They were not correct. I have changed the same. I went out this morning, Aus time, and everything was great.
I hope everyone checks the above, Hey I admit I took the easy route.
Thank you to Steve for his pointers on this and other updates
What did you change in the I Menu as I have had a problem trying to keep the 3d tracking locked on, it just keeps jumping away to another nearby bird or even object - any ideas ? Also the other day when I was holding my camera downwards I pressed the AF and it just kept jumping around trying to find something, doesn’t normally do that.

Finally put 4.10 through its paces today in a long morning session of photographing birds at local metro park. Better results than before but still need to exercise good judgment and all the usual caveats. Was able to nab what I believe to be a Kingfisher, and if so, will be my first ever photo of one so that was cool. Don't know if I can credit 4.1 with that but I'll give it to it :)

_NZ90786-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Finally put 4.10 through its paces today in a long morning session of photographing birds at local metro park. Better results than before but still need to exercise good judgment and all the usual caveats. Was able to nab what I believe to be a Kingfisher, and if so, will be my first ever photo of one so that was cool. Don't know if I can credit 4.1 with that but I'll give it to it :)

View attachment 71202
Yup. Female kingfisher👍👍👍

I was out yesterday to a known location close by home, where there's always at least a chance to shoot seagulls flying by, and there they were along a spoonbill and great herons.

I used the Z9 + the 180-400 TC FL handheld at all times.

I intentionally used the 180/400 at 560mm (TC engaged) and @ f/6.3 so I could imitate the 180-600 and compare for myself the results of one and the other.

As for the FW 4.10, given the conditions of light, positioning and distance, I didn't notice a huge difference in this first trials, but I could sense it was more sticky than before, yet, that's my subjective appreciation that would be difficult to translate into measurable results (for me that is).

At the same time, while having the birds or the animals options for SD, I stayed with animals for these pictures. It worked for me so I'm quite happy with leaving it at animals thinking that using "birds" could only improve it:

Z9F_6796-T.jpg

Z9F_6878-T.jpg

Z9F_6937-T.jpg

Z9F_7054-T.jpg

Brgds, Marcelo

View attachment 71202
Nice shot, I wish I'd get one like that. My only kingfisher shot is not great.
The 'Merlin' app is pretty helpful for bird ID, and you can drop your picture in and it'll tell you based on where and when you took it what the likely options are, and it's the only reason I know most of the birds I do.

Thanks very much, Activert. Much appreciated!

These pair have been nesting at this spot for at least the last 12 years that I have been going there, which is on a cliff face next to the ocean. They usually have 2 or 3 young and they always generally all make it to adulthood. I would suggest trying to find a spot where they have a nest and stake that area out, but don't get too close to the nest as you don't want to spook them. They will then fly off to get food for the young and keep coming back, sort of a captive area to observe them from. Either that, or come over to Sydney about this time of year and I can take you to them. :)
Thank you so much For the tips. Australia is actually the number one on our llist to travel. My husband and I are planning to go for at least 6 months. We know there is so much to see and to photograph. In one or two years at most we will take off time from our work and visit the most beautiful place on earth: Australia. And also where the nicest people live. Thank you for your offer.
The same goes to you, if one day you decide to come to Montreal for geese and ducks migration, or for the fall Colors, or just to visit the city, let us know, so we will be happy to show you around.

Nice shot, I wish I'd get one like that. My only kingfisher shot is not great.
The 'Merlin' app is pretty helpful for bird ID, and you can drop your picture in and it'll tell you based on where and when you took it what the likely options are, and it's the only reason I know most of the birds I do.
Appreciate it and I’ll check out Merlin, thank you for the tip!

Appreciate it and I’ll check out Merlin, thank you for the tip!
it's a really incredible thing, also can listen to audio and tell you what's making noise, etc. I would recommend downloading more packs than you think you might need, just for the odd birds that show up that aren't known to be in your area (I saw muscovy ducks in the midwest, for example...).

Z90_3564-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD 2023-09-28 15.44.23 1.jpg

My very mediocre kingfisher shot for comparison

it's a really incredible thing, also can listen to audio and tell you what's making noise, etc. I would recommend downloading more packs than you think you might need, just for the odd birds that show up that aren't known to be in your area (I saw muscovy ducks in the midwest, for example...).

View attachment 71250
My very mediocre kingfisher shot for comparison
That sounds amazing indeed. Will for sure download.

I don’t think your shot is mediocre at all. For one, it’s an action shot which I love! Sharp, in focus, and nicely framed. Can’t do much about the sky or reach but I think you made the best of what you had to work with.

Assume based on Ralph’s guidance, that is a Male Belted Kingfisher?

That sounds amazing indeed. Will for sure download.

I don’t think your shot is mediocre at all. For one, it’s an action shot which I love! Sharp, in focus, and nicely framed. Can’t do much about the sky or reach but I think you made the best of what you had to work with.

Assume based on Ralph’s guidance, that is a Male Belted Kingfisher?
I appreciate that you think it was good, that was already a super deep crop from the full thing, which is the only reason I didn't go more in.

I believe so, but I never got to see the front to verify if that was the case, it was flying parallel and then away from me, since it popped out behind me and I had to turn to catch it.

I appreciate that you think it was good, that was already a super deep crop from the full thing, which is the only reason I didn't go more in.

I believe so, but I never got to see the front to verify if that was the case, it was flying parallel and then away from me, since it popped out behind me and I had to turn to catch it.
Well, it’ll give you something to strive for in replacing it with a photo of one that you love one day ☺️

Pretty quick reaction to get it, not sure I would have even been able to pull it off like you did so consider me impressed!

I was out yesterday to a known location close by home, where there's always at least a chance to shoot seagulls flying by, and there they were along a spoonbill and great herons.

I used the Z9 + the 180-400 TC FL handheld at all times.

I intentionally used the 180/400 at 560mm (TC engaged) and @ f/6.3 so I could imitate the 180-600 and compare for myself the results of one and the other.

As for the FW 4.10, given the conditions of light, positioning and distance, I didn't notice a huge difference in this first trials, but I could sense it was more sticky than before, yet, that's my subjective appreciation that would be difficult to translate into measurable results (for me that is).

At the same time, while having the birds or the animals options for SD, I stayed with animals for these pictures. It worked for me so I'm quite happy with leaving it at animals thinking that using "birds" could only improve it:

View attachment 71223

View attachment 71224

View attachment 71225

View attachment 71226

Brgds, Marcelo
Nice, was VR ON for these shots. On mine when I engage VR sport/norm I get a bluish fringe - not with VR off for BIF - have you noticed anything like this ?

Yes, VR-Sport all the time. Nothing unusual noted, worked as always, Nicholas.
Thanks Marcelo for letting me know, Now it could be the lens ?! I have noticed panning right to left with this lens shows more aberration than panning left to right with Vr mode, maybe i am pixel peeping too much but when not removing CR compensation in lightroom you can see it more. Its very weird but I never see it with VR OFF. I just feel something doesnt sit right when VR is on, I have seen it also with my 80-400G lens which is alot worse. Im using a Z9.

After my original posting (https://bcgforums.com/index.php?threads/nikon-4-1-firmware-initial-field-report.28519/post-320179) a few suggested that I try Auto-area AF instead of 3D. So I went back to the local park and tried my luck again. Unfortunately this time the harrier didn't fly along the same path; however, it did come across a similar busy background for a brief period of time. Other minor differences were: 400mm @f4 vs 560 @f6.3. Here are three frames from that sequence (#259, #261, #263). Bad news - this focus mode exhibited the same problem as before (background taking the focus away); however the good news was that the camera restored the focus back almost immediately (3rd frame after lost focus) unlike multiple frames in 3D mode. Auto AF appears to be better under this condition but more tests are needed to be absolutely confident about it. Note that these images are screen capture from NX Studio at zoom level 33%.

Capture11.JPG

Capture12.JPG

Capture13.JPG

After my original posting (https://bcgforums.com/index.php?threads/nikon-4-1-firmware-initial-field-report.28519/post-320179) a few suggested that I try Auto-area AF instead of 3D. So I went back to the local park and tried my luck again. Unfortunately this time the harrier didn't fly along the same path; however, it did come across a similar busy background for a brief period of time. Other minor differences were: 400mm @f4 vs 560 @f6.3. Here are three frames from that sequence (#259, #261, #263). Bad news - this focus mode exhibited the same problem as before (background taking the focus away); however the good news was that the camera restored the focus back almost immediately (3rd frame after lost focus) unlike multiple frames in 3D mode. Auto AF appears to be better under this condition but more tests are needed to be absolutely confident about it. Note that these images are screen capture from NX Studio at zoom level 33%.

View attachment 71275

View attachment 71276
View attachment 71277
Yeah, the problem is when SD drops the subject, it reverts back to using the current AF area as normal. The problem with 3D is that it's really small so when SD drops a target, the single-point sized 3D AF area had better be right on the subject or it'll focus on the background. With Auto, the entire viewfinder is in play and as long as the focus distance hasn't jumped, it has a much better chance of grabbing back on.

Yeah, the problem is when SD drops the subject, it reverts back to using the current AF area as normal. The problem with 3D is that it's really small so when SD drops a target, the single-point sized 3D AF area had better be right on the subject or it'll focus on the background. With Auto, the entire viewfinder is in play and as long as the focus distance hasn't jumped, it has a much better chance of grabbing back on.
@Steve That's a great explanation. This brings one question in my mind that you or others may have the answer for. If I add 2X converter to make it a 800mm lens and thus making the subject bigger on the sensor will 3D or any other focus mode do a better job in keeping the bird in focus? Or the inherent slowness of 2X will do worse?

Last edited:
Back