Nikon 400mm 4.5 as a replacement for 500mm PF

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The only drawback to tht 500mm PF lens is needing to use the FTZ with a Z camera. The 400mm f/4.5 with the 1.4x is a good substitute but having owned both lenses there is no performance of IQ gain with the 400mm lens. Nearly the same weight with the 1.4x on the 400mm versus the 500mm lens. I sold my 500mm PF and bought the 400mm f/4.5 lens but not sure that I would do so if able to make the decision today.

A separate consideration is that one can use the 2x Z teleconverter on the 400mm f/4.5 for a 800mm f/9 super telephoto. The internal image stabilization of the Z9 compensates quite well for the long focal length of this setup.

I used the 500mm PF with teleconverters on the D850 and found I needed to focus manually so a different situation than using the FTZ adapter and a Z camera. I also did not like having to carry around 4 different teleconverters in my backpack to accommodate my AFS and Z lenses.

I wonder will nikon issue a 500mm pf for the z mount. I would assume that at some point they will, although a 600mm pf might be the more logical option, closing the gap between the 400m lens and the 800mm pf.
Moderately off topic - I think Nikon will continue to release 5-7 new Z lenses a year for the foreseeable future - so maybe 20 more Nikon lenses by 31.12.2026 :)

What comes in which order remains for the future - and perhaps what the competition is doing.

I anticipate a 600 PF before a 500 - primarily because the F mount 500 PF lens although F is an extremely good performer.

Still off topic - Nikon sold very few 70-200 f4 - and yet I hope Nikon do not ignore that Sony has just launched a 70-200 f4 that is widely reported as doing half life size to a good standard at both ends of the zoom range.
The Nikon/Tamron does neither :(
The Sony seems a worthy Nikon fit replacement via an adaptor for the long gone Nikon 70-180 screwdriver AF macro - and with a 2x a sort of Z body replacement for the screwdriver AF 200 f4 - if Nikon take years as they did with the 180-600 to launch a competitor.

I also hope Nikon gets better at forecasting how many of what new lenses advanced/pro Z photographers would like to buy than they seem to be at forecasting demand for their market leading recent telephotos.

I anticipate - probably more accurately than Nikon (hardly a challenge based on recent Nikon forecasting) - that a 600 PF maybe f5.6 priced somewhere between the 400 f4.5 and 800 PF would sell in considerable numbers.

I wasn't aware of that
Yes.... Nikon has not mentioned a Z 600 PF, but it's been discussed regularly since the 2018 patent was published for 3 F-mount Phase-fresnel telephotos (one of which is the 500 PF)

Saying a 600 PF is on the roadmap based on some old patents is quite a stretch. For all we know they could have evaluated a 600mm but then decided the 500mm was the best option. As of today, there are no indications (other than plain speculation) that Nikon is planning to make a 600 PF.

Back