Nikon 500 pf vs 200-500 Sharpness

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Steve and others have indicated that the center sharpness of the 200-500nn f/5.6 is very close or even equal to the 500 f/5.6 pf. After saving my pennies for quite a while, I found a used copy of the 500 pf at a price I could manage. I just took it outside and took a few test shots and already I see better sharpness than I was ever able to achieve with my 200-500. This is not to say that the 200-500 wasn't fairly sharp, but the 500 pf is clearly sharper. Maybe this is the typical variation between copies of the 200-500 that people talk about, I don't know, but it's got me wondering.

Also, of course, the 500 pf's AF is snapper, and the lighter weight makes it easier to handle. I think I'll be quite happy with this lens.

Anyway, are there others out there who have seen a significant improvement in center sharpness with the 500pf over the 200-500? Maybe my 200-500 is not quite as sharp as the average 200-500?
To be honest, I have few if any problems with my 200-500. I've gotten some great, tack sharp images with it, and continue to use it as my primary "long" lens. I thought seriously about buying a 500PF but, based on reviews I've read and seen (including Steve's), I didn't think it was significantly superior (if at all) to justify shelling out $3500; I just didn't think it would elevate my imagery. I've compared the sharpness of my images to others captured by friends shooting a 500PF, and I simply can't see any real difference. Overall weight isn't terribly important to me, although a faster AF is always attractive.

So, I'm saving my pennies to buy a 600mm f4 E, because I KNOW that will give me far superior images. In the meanwhile, my 200-500 f5.6 is getting plenty of exercise.

I want to order the 500pf because of the reduction in weight and maneuverability. The 200-500 has served me well but if I'm in the brush where I can't use a tripod I can only use it for very limited time since my surgery. I do have my concerns though with some of the comments and some of the reviews. I know a person that both Adorama, and B&H listed the lens as in stock and when they went to start ordering it the salesman didn't even tell them that it was actually not in stock until they asked. I had them do that to me on one lens that I bought. They assured me that it was in stock and then after I paid for it and didn't receive a tracking number or anything after about 3 days I called and the lens was not actually in stock and hadn't been for a long time. B&H listed as in stock right now but I haven't checked to verify that.

I got my 500 PF from Nikon Refurbished and love it. They sell them there for $3000, if they have them, and if you can catch them when they have one of their periodic 10% off sales, you can get another $300 off. They usually go pretty quick, so you need to keep an eye out for those sales. Probably the best way is to be on their mailing list.
Thanks Ill keep an eye out and am on their lists. Itll be a nice lens to add and have available.

Back