Nikon 500mm f/4 G ED VR versus Nikon 500mm f/4E FL ED VR

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a Nikon D850 and plan to stick with it for a while (i.e., there are no mirrorless cameras in my immediate future). I am looking for a used 500mm prime lens with the intent of buying a 1.4TC to extend its reach. I have been looking at f/4 lenses, rather than f/5.6 variants, because of what I have read about lens compatibility with the TC. I have narrowed things down to the two lenses in the subject line. From what I have read, the two lenses perform admirably (and similarly) in terms of picture quality. The biggest difference appears to be the fact that the G is a much heavier lens. Although this could be a weighty issue, the fact that the G is $3000-$3500 less than the newer model is a significant consideration as well.

I would be interested in hearing others' opinions about the two lenses. I am probably most interested in picture quality issues as I am, ultimately, going to have to decide for myself how much torture I am willing to endure, That said, all comments are welcome.

Thanks.

I have a Nikon D850 and plan to stick with it for a while (i.e., there are no mirrorless cameras in my immediate future). I am looking for a used 500mm prime lens with the intent of buying a 1.4TC to extend its reach. I have been looking at f/4 lenses, rather than f/5.6 variants, because of what I have read about lens compatibility with the TC. I have narrowed things down to the two lenses in the subject line. From what I have read, the two lenses perform admirably (and similarly) in terms of picture quality. The biggest difference appears to be the fact that the G is a much heavier lens. Although this could be a weighty issue, the fact that the G is $3000-$3500 less than the newer model is a significant consideration as well.

I would be interested in hearing others' opinions about the two lenses. I am probably most interested in picture quality issues as I am, ultimately, going to have to decide for myself how much torture I am willing to endure, That said, all comments are welcome.

Thanks.
Both the G and E versions of the 500mm and 600mm f/4 lenses are fantastic from an image quality standpoint. I wouldn’t hesitate to use either on professional projects from a pure IQ perspective.

The newer E-FL lenses are lighter and have nice features like electronic aperture control and fluoride coating on the front lens element. As I recall the E-Fl versions also have a slightly closer minimum focusing distance. These are all nice features but it’s up to you whether they’re worth the extra cost. In terms of pure image quality and TC compatibility I wouldn’t hesitate to use either version.

I had the G and now have the E. I think the E version takes a TC much better. I never liked the IQ of the G with a 1.4tc and I have a friend who has the G and has the same complaint. I have no hesitation using a 1.4 on the E. I'll use a 1.7 if I really have to though I see a drop in IQ. I have a 2x that I don't like on any lens/body combo. Make sure your 1.4 tc is the EIII version, for some reason the III versions play better with the E lenses.

I shot the G version for years before upgrading to the 600 FL E version. I never tried the 500 FL E but followed owners reports, and believe that it is similar to the 600. Bottom line is that the E version is optically superior to the G version especially at distance and with TC's. And then there's the weight difference. If you don't mind the weight you should be able to find a G version for 1/2 the cost of an E which may balance things out. My only concern about the G is if the AF-S motor fails you may find parts scarce -- not sure how much longer Nikon will support the lens.

I shot the G version for years before upgrading to the 600 FL E version. I never tried the 500 FL E but followed owners reports, and believe that it is similar to the 600. Bottom line is that the E version is optically superior to the G version especially at distance and with TC's. And then there's the weight difference. If you don't mind the weight you should be able to find a G version for 1/2 the cost of an E which may balance things out. My only concern about the G is if the AF-S motor fails you may find parts scarce -- not sure how much longer Nikon will support the lens.
In the USA, support is required for 7 years after discontinuance, I'm thinking we should be close to that now.

You should also consider the Sigma 500mm f4 Sport. I have this lens and a friend of mine has the Nikon 500 f4 E, we go shooting together and when looking at the images you can see very little difference (if any). The Nikon lens is lighter and better balanced when hand holding, none issue for me as I shoot with it on a monopod. Here in Australia you can find a used Sigma for about a third of the price of the Nikon lens. The Sigma also takes the 1.4 TC really well and even the 2 x TC gives good results.

I used the 500G for a couple years. It was just okay, but I never really thought it was fantastic. Nice but not 'really nice' images, especially at a distance of 50 plus yards.
Previous, I had the AF-D 500 f4, it was heavy but made images I liked. Dropped it, killed the damn thing. Sold it as junk for 500 dollars.

As others have pointed out, the key difference will be support going forward. The G wont be supported much longer by Nikon.
‘The E FL is all around a nicer lens, but to me, ability to get service from Nikon is the bigger deal. Unless you can get a good quality G so cheap that you are willing to gamble on service, otherwise I wouldn’t.

I have 2 D-850's & use the Nikon 600mm F/4 when I cover launches at Kennedy Space Center. I have a 1.4 & 1.7 TC which I use as the distance I'm allowed to shoot from is typically 3 miles, but some times closer. Adding 3 images taken. Only editing was converting NEF to jpg. It goes without saying, not for handheld....Gitzo Tripod. My 500mm results were close to identical.
07012022 USSF-12 LiftOff-C .jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
08292022SLS_B.jpg
LiftOff Delta Heavy.jpg

Thanks.
The 500mm G lens is sharper and faster than the PF - if its cheaper then thats a bonus.
Weight is the only drawback. I tend to use the car as my camera bag with my older bigger lenses... 🦘

Thanks.
If your budget can afford it get the newest version..I have the G lens..which is a great lens..but the weight is a challenge in some situations.

Long story, I very nearly bought the 500 f4E but decided on 400 f2.8E instead, after much planning from reading reviews and I was fortunate to handle copies of each at Nikon UK at the time (2017).

Looking back there's only 100mm difference between the 700 f5.6 vs 800 f5.6, where we know the IQ of the TC14 lll > TC2 lll.
The 500 is significantly lighter than all the other exotic telephotos in its range. So easier on the arms and back!
Here are some links to reviews

Last edited:
Is it me, or did Nikon F-mount superteles crash in price in the past few months? I have my eyeballs on a 500mm f/4 G, in fine looking shape, for $2200. I can't imagine it going a whole lot lower...? Nikon would still do basic service like replace the AF-S motor if it poops out, wouldn't they?

I'm feeling like I'm nuts not to upgrade from my 200-500 at that price... not that I'll be letting that lens go anywhere. It's extraordinarily useful and yields great results.

Is it me, or did Nikon F-mount superteles crash in price in the past few months? I have my eyeballs on a 500mm f/4 G, in fine looking shape, for $2200. I can't imagine it going a whole lot lower...? Nikon would still do basic service like replace the AF-S motor if it poops out, wouldn't they?

I'm feeling like I'm nuts not to upgrade from my 200-500 at that price... not that I'll be letting that lens go anywhere. It's extraordinarily useful and yields great results.
See my post #7 above. If it's past 7 years from official discontinuance, Nikon probably won't touch it.
Yes, prices have dropped alot, a used 500 f4 EFL seems to be in the same range as the 800pf.

See my post #7 above. If it's past 7 years from official discontinuance, Nikon probably won't touch it.
Yes, prices have dropped alot, a used 500 f4 EFL seems to be in the same range as the 800pf.
Last year I sent in a 20yo 200-400MM F4 lens for silent motor replacement without any problems...🦘

For what it's worth when I was researching (2023) the 600mm G vs E for support from Nikon, I called them and asked how much longer the G version would be supported and was told until 2025.

Thanks.
I've owned both (along with an AFS version). I much preferred the E version due to its weight reduction. It makes it far easier to handhold for any length of time.
I recently sold my 500E and prices are ridiculously low - but if I were in the market for a 500/4 the E version is the only one I'd be looking to get.

Back