Nikon 500mm PF with 1.4x TC

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My Nikon Z9 developed the dreaded "Error" message so I had to send it to Nikon/NPS, here's the problem with the camera.

A friend of mine lives on a large tract of land and a pair of bald eagles have nested there for three years now and she invited me to come photograph them with her two days ago. I knew we would be quite far from the nest so I was able to borrow a Z9 and TC14III from another friend. I was shocked by how fast my 500mm PF focused and how well it tracked the bald eagles in flight with the teleconverter. My keeper rate was lower than I'd prefer, not because of the equipment, but because of my inexperience with bird in flight photography and difficulty finding the eagle in my viewfinder and tracking them. The Z9, TC14III and 500mm performed beyond my expectations. I called my favorite camera store yesterday and ordered a TC14III for myself. This photo was cropped from a very small portion of the frame, I'm amazed at how well it turned out under the circumstances.View attachment 34729
Just yesterday i have seen my Z8 do the exact same thing as you show in your video, when a 200-500 is attached with the FTZ. It only happens in Aperture Priority or Manual. In program or Shutter priority it works fine. This unfortunately stops me from stopping down from wide open. The 200-500 works just fine on my D850, It also has been used little since a $400+ refurb at Nikon as the focus became unreliable when on my D850. The Z8 and FTZ work just fine with my F 70-200 2.8. . What did Nikon say?. Was there a problem with your Z9 or the lens. I am in the process of deciding on a new long lens for my Z8, but wanted to see how the 200-500 does before i do. The 500PF with or without the TC 1.4III is a consideration. I would appreciate any lnfo you can share on the err messages.

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your Z8. Nikon never communicated anything to me, they just replaced the Z9 with a new one. I suspect the error has to do with the camera's sensor shield, but I don't have anything to back that theory up.

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your Z8. Nikon never communicated anything to me, they just replaced the Z9 with a new one. I suspect the error has to do with the camera's sensor shield, but I don't have anything to back that theory up.
They said it was a problem with the 200-500, and not the Z8 or the FTZII. $330 to fix the lens. We will see when the lens gets “fixed” if it all works.
Thanks for the reply.

Back