Nikon 50mm Z-Mount Experience?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have both the 50 f1.8S and the 50 f1.2S and both are fantastic lenses. The 50 f1.8S is a bargain when you consider how excellent it's overall IQ is, sharp wide open and with generally very good bokeh. However, the 50 f1.2S is just that bit better overall IMO - love that bokeh - but is a large and heavy lens. I love the 50 f1.2S, but I don't have that same love for the 50 f1.8S.
If you want some further musings and thoughts on the 50 f1.2S, read what AnotherMike says over on DPR. He has great lens knowledge and really knows what he is talking about, IMO. For me, his ability to describe a lens's charactersitics so well that even if you haven't used a lens you feel you have used the lens anyway.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/66472429

The 1.8 Z lenses are so good, they essentially render 1.4 versions obsolete IMHO. Or I'll say, at least for the time being / in today's difficult production climate. Perhaps there's a place for 1.4's in the future ( a nice compromise between size / price / performance - the superb 50 1.2 is a BIG lens) but I don't see them as a priority right now. We'll see more 1.2's first for sure (85, 35, 135 coming up soon). With the number of lenses NIkon has promised over the next few years, there has to be some 1.4's on the way.

To answer your main question - I have the 50 1.8 S, and if you're even thinking about picking it up - just get it. It's gorgeous. I also have the 20 1.8 and 85 1.8, same comments. They are the best primes I've ever used.

Now - if you're a full time professional portrait or wedding photographer, you may want to go for the 50 1.2 - the reputation of that lens is beyond outstanding, everyone that has one will go on and on about it. For me, the 1.8 is more than enough for any setting, certainly even for paid gigs.

The popularity of the 50mm focal length began with the first 35mm rangefinder focusing cameras. Longer than 50mm a special external viewfinder was required. That carried over to the first SLR cameras where a longer focal length could be easily focused but the habit of buying a 50mm lens carried over and often was part of a kit sold by the photo stores. The likes of Cartier-Bresson were forced to use 50mm focal length lenses as a result of the limitations of the available cameras.

In theory the 50mm focal length is a "normal" focal length with a 35mm film or full sensor equipped digital camera but I have long believed it to be provide an unnatural perspective. Photos taken with a 50mm lens often have a lot of extraneous detail in the frame that detracts from the picture, hence the advice to get closer to have stronger images. The alternative to getting closer is to use a longer 85mm to 105mm focal length lens.

The advantage of a longer focal length is greater camera to subject distances when photographing people which results in more pleasing images as the subjects are less tense and the perspective is more flattering for faces. Outdoors the longer focal length is closer to what we see in our mind's eye. We can all relate to pictures we took and then were disappointed with the results where a large tree or distant mountain shrunk in the picture.

I have both the 50 f1.8S and the 50 f1.2S and both are fantastic lenses. The 50 f1.8S is a bargain when you consider how excellent it's overall IQ is, sharp wide open and with generally very good bokeh. However, the 50 f1.2S is just that bit better overall IMO - love that bokeh - but is a large and heavy lens. I love the 50 f1.2S, but I don't have that same love for the 50 f1.8S.
If you want some further musings and thoughts on the 50 f1.2S, read what AnotherMike says over on DPR. He has great lens knowledge and really knows what he is talking about, IMO. For me, his ability to describe a lens's charactersitics so well that even if you haven't used a lens you feel you have used the lens anyway.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/66472429

Thank you for the links,

I checked out the DP reviews and yes nice, i have the Z50 1.8s and its an impressive lens, i like it a lot, its the only Z lens i have interest in.

I accept how good the 1.2 is, but I wont On principal LOL
buy the 1.2 50mm as its just so overpriced,
for me its a bit of a price gouge like the 58mm 1.4 was.

As to the DF, yes it makes sense selling if you don't use it.

But gee the images in the DP review are excellent from the DF also largly made great by the photographer.

I still love my DF and yes i have a Z9 D850 D3X etc, for me the Df is just a joy to use especially with my 50mm Ziess or 28-300 lots of traveling, it takes me away to another place, it slows me down, keeps me grounded and connected to photography, it keeps up my immune system levels so to not catch GAS disease LOl.

I love the sensor 16mp, it produces amazing images especially in B and W on all sorts of lenses, Ziess 100mm F2, 200mm F4 Nikon Macro, 300 2.8, 70-200 FL 35mm F2D.

It has amazing ISO and the ability to introduce by choice lovely film grain for effect in street photography.

If i am going to jump a plain quickly for few days and don't want a camera bag and all that comes with it, and i want to focus just on photography the DF with a 50mm Ziess is it, they both fit in my coat pocket.
I don't even take a charger, nothing other than one spare small battery if ever needed.

Hey its different, and its diffrent to just taking the phone for images.

Only an opinion

The 1.8 Z lenses are so good, they essentially render 1.4 versions obsolete IMHO. Or I'll say, at least for the time being / in today's difficult production climate. Perhaps there's a place for 1.4's in the future ( a nice compromise between size / price / performance - the superb 50 1.2 is a BIG lens) but I don't see them as a priority right now. We'll see more 1.2's first for sure (85, 35, 135 coming up soon). With the number of lenses NIkon has promised over the next few years, there has to be some 1.4's on the way.

To answer your main question - I have the 50 1.8 S, and if you're even thinking about picking it up - just get it. It's gorgeous. I also have the 20 1.8 and 85 1.8, same comments. They are the best primes I've ever used.

Now - if you're a full time professional portrait or wedding photographer, you may want to go for the 50 1.2 - the reputation of that lens is beyond outstanding, everyone that has one will go on and on about it. For me, the 1.8 is more than enough for any setting, certainly even for paid gigs.
The 50mm f1.8 is a far better lens than the old 50mm f1.4 AFS G lens.
I have the 1.2 1.8 and 40mm.
The 40mm has become my goto bash lens - I dont miss f1.4 at all...🦘

The 50mm f1.8 is a far better lens than the old 50mm f1.4 AFS G lens.
I have the 1.2 1.8 and 40mm.
The 40mm has become my goto bash lens - I dont miss f1.4 at all...🦘
Providing you get a good sample, The Tamron 45mm 1.8 with VR is i feel better than any NON Z Nikon 50mm glass.

With Nikon going to Tamorn lenses in many cases, we may see sample variations more so than the China Thailand made Nikon lenses of the past, or we may not.

So here is to 2022-23 specs up slightly, prices up greatly, costs down hugely with redesign and outsourcing manufacturing, margins up significantly = watch the quality and sample variations regardless of Nikon making things or not.
The camera industry is following the phone market with more new model variations more frequently.

Only an opinion

Tamron does seem to be the best of the third party lens makes.
But I did have a quality control problem with two of the 15-30mm F mounted Tamrons.
Both were sharp on the edges but soft in the centre - I went back to my old Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8...🦘

I'm yet another fan of the 40 f2 - this is the "body cap" on my Z9 that delivers superb images 'even' at f2, f2.8. I cannot justify a 50 f1.8S nor the bigger and truly excellent 50 f1.2S. Nikon has set new standards with both these primes: merging sharpness and rendering. It's intriguing to consider the attributes of a Z 105 prime when they get it out some day!

It appears Nikon's Haruo Sato pioneered this endeavour with the 35 f1.4G, then 58 f1.4G and the 105 f1.4E. Although there are no official acknowledgements, it appears the Z Mount architecture has allowed the designers of portrait lenses to refine this quest, and achieve even better image quality. To follow up on the dpr threads, @Lance B shared above, I think AnotherMike is correct in his diagnosis; to quote, the high quality rendering of the best lenses "comes from very well thought out balancing of the aberrations which results in the balance between the resolution components just as much as the OOF transition or bokeh quality...".

Nevertheless, I'm keeping my 58 f1.4G, which focuses even better on a Z camera compared to DSLRs. It's lighter and costs far less Used than a 50 f1.2S. In the rush to Z MILC, it's easy to overlook the Neo-Noct remains a unique lens - 3 in one the Prime, contingent on the operating aperture. Yes it has its glitches which take some getting to know, but it is an artistic tool

Last edited:
I still love my DF and yes i have a Z9 D850 D3X etc, for me the Df is just a joy to use especially with my 50mm Ziess or 28-300 lots of traveling, it takes me away to another place, it slows me down, keeps me grounded and connected to photography, it keeps up my immune system levels so to not catch GAS disease LOl.

This is exactly what I get out of using my vintage manual focus lenses. I also made the decision not to get any zooms - only primes and started with my Fuji XT-4. However, I missed the real focal lengths, particularly with the wider lenses so got a Sony a7ii which was fairly cheap and did a great job.

Top quality lenses from Zeiss, Pentax Takumar, Olympus Zuiko, Minolta Rokkor and more are so cheap I've decided not to get any short or long Nikon Z lenses, I've got those ranges covered with my vintage lenses. I've just got a 24-70 f4 S and a Viltrox 85mm f1.8 The reviews consensus was that it is 95% as good as the Nikon Z 85mm f1.8, but costs under half the price. I was steered towards the Viltrox after I got a 56mm f1.4 for my Fuji. I was that impressed with the build quality and results it was a no-brainer to get the 85mm Z one.

Now my FF mirrorless camera is a Z6ii and while it is OK, I'm having to compromise with manual focus. Both the Fuji and Sony are much better, so much so, I almost kept the Sony after getting the Z6ii, but I did not want to run 3 systems.

This is exactly what I get out of using my vintage manual focus lenses. I also made the decision not to get any zooms - only primes and started with my Fuji XT-4. However, I missed the real focal lengths, particularly with the wider lenses so got a Sony a7ii which was fairly cheap and did a great job.

Top quality lenses from Zeiss, Pentax Takumar, Olympus Zuiko, Minolta Rokkor and more are so cheap I've decided not to get any short or long Nikon Z lenses, I've got those ranges covered with my vintage lenses. I've just got a 24-70 f4 S and a Viltrox 85mm f1.8 The reviews consensus was that it is 95% as good as the Nikon Z 85mm f1.8, but costs under half the price. I was steered towards the Viltrox after I got a 56mm f1.4 for my Fuji. I was that impressed with the build quality and results it was a no-brainer to get the 85mm Z one.

Now my FF mirrorless camera is a Z6ii and while it is OK, I'm having to compromise with manual focus. Both the Fuji and Sony are much better, so much so, I almost kept the Sony after getting the Z6ii, but I did not want to run 3 systems.

We spend a fortune on exotic gear and look at the end result on Flicker Face Book Instagram, emails, or web sites, and 65% of the world does on mobile devices mostly phones.

Enjoy what you do and love what you see.

It doesn't matter if its a Ziess a Nikon a Sony, its what you have done with i that matters.

All that matters is .............Are you happy.........

Thank you for the links,

I checked out the DP reviews and yes nice, i have the Z50 1.8s and its an impressive lens, i like it a lot, its the only Z lens i have interest in.

I accept how good the 1.2 is, but I wont On principal LOL
buy the 1.2 50mm as its just so overpriced,
for me its a bit of a price gouge like the 58mm 1.4 was.

As to the DF, yes it makes sense selling if you don't use it.

But gee the images in the DP review are excellent from the DF also largly made great by the photographer.

I love the sensor 16mp, it produces amazing images especially in B and W on all sorts of lenses, Ziess 100mm F2, 200mm F4 Nikon Macro, 300 2.8, 70-200 FL 35mm F2D.

It has amazing ISO and the ability to introduce by choice lovely film grain for effect in street photography.

If i am going to jump a plain quickly for few days and don't want a camera bag and all that comes with it, and i want to focus just on photography the DF with a 50mm Ziess is it, they both fit in my coat pocket.
I don't even take a charger, nothing other than one spare small battery if ever needed.

Hey its different, and its diffrent to just taking the phone for images.

Only an opinion
Wouldn't argue with any of this. Everyone is different and "what ever floats your boat", as they say. It comes down to what you think is important to you and how much you are willing to pay for it, whether that be price, size or weight or all three. :)

Tamron does seem to be the best of the third party lens makes.
But I did have a quality control problem with two of the 15-30mm F mounted Tamrons.
Both were sharp on the edges but soft in the centre - I went back to my old Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8...🦘
Old is Gold LOL

More premium branded products are made in China than we care to believe, embarrassed yep.......Hence supply chain issues are largely blamed on so called chip shortages.

In the case of China it has the capability to meet or exceed manufacturing quality standards with the best in the world but at a price.

The level of quality is entirely driven by what a company wants to pay for, example only, computer components, level 1, 2, or 3, each has a higher level of material or QC testing or checking and of course price.

Hence you get what you pay for.
Some companies pay less let more off point items slip through to many consumers who wouldn't pick things up anyway before they upgrade, bingo.

Companies like Apple pay and demand that level of excellence for brand protection as does Samsung in that premium field.

I think Tamron can provide excellent products as long as Nikon Pays for the QC.

I sense Nikon is positioning it self at two levels outrageously expensive and then just expensive, the later built by outsourcing.

Remember the industry formed Copal as the major manufacturer for nearly all shutter assemblies that nearly everyone used, pooling manufacturing volume = lower cost, it could be that the same may happen with Tamron......who could also make lenses for Sony Canon ??? who knows Sony could make all the sensors for the industry and why not after all its all about profit and surviving, personally its a way to consolidate manufacturing volume hence efficiency as long as QC is upheld.

The world is at a stage of get big or get out.

You need to be the lowest cost producer to grow or survive, period.

Everything we do, use, eat, drink, has to do with energy, control that energy you control the cost and the world.

Water, gas, oil, air, coal = electricity

How do you control and effect the cost efficiency of that energy......... its called currency =$

Only an opinion

Does anyone here own and use any of the Nikon 50mm Z-Mount lenses? If so, what model and what are your impressions of it?

How about the 40mm f/2? (Although I'm wary of Nikon compact design lenses after owning the 50mm E-Series (Economy) lens that was part of a kit with my Nikon FM or FE a long time ago.)

What I see on the Nikon Z-Lens roadmap are 50mm lenses with maximum apertures of f/2.8, f/1.8 and f/1.2. I'm not sure why Nikon isn't going to offer the lens in a f/1.4 aperture. (Which, to me, is very desirable, yet shouldn't be as expensive as the f/1.2 version.) This missing option in the Nikon lineup has me strongly considering the Sigma Art Series 50mm f/1.4 instead of one of Nikon's 50mm offerings.

Thank you.
See
I own the 50 F1.8. I thought the reviews were a bit hyped but I bought it anyway. There is something very pleasing about the Z 50mm F1.8. It is not just about the sharpness, the lens has (IMHO) impressive clarity (not just the absence of Lca).
I think F1.4 was more a “desirable“ lens because it was a bit more exclusive and had some slightly nicer optical qualities (mainly bokeh). The Z 1.8 series seems to be so good that 1.4 is no longer relevant.

Vahagraphy just bought the 0.95 Noct and posted about it -- all that YouTube money must be flowing -- Nikon Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct Lens is truly a source of inspiration
Vahagraphy seems like a really nice guy but gee he spends all his time telling you over and over the same thing, especially what he is going to do, i wish he would change.
Like i hear him for his whole video on the 0.95 but he says nothing much different all the way through, he is much the same on other videos.
But a nice guy

See
I own the 50 F1.8. I thought the reviews were a bit hyped but I bought it anyway. There is something very pleasing about the Z 50mm F1.8. It is not just about the sharpness, the lens has (IMHO) impressive clarity (not just the absence of Lca).
I think F1.4 was more a “desirable“ lens because it was a bit more exclusive and had some slightly nicer optical qualities (mainly bokeh). The Z 1.8 series seems to be so good that 1.4 is no longer relevant.

I found this guy to be an excellent MC presenter, fabulous articulate smooth speaking with lots of content that would make you buy sand in the desert, as you say over hyped, never the less he is an excellent presenter, a great marketer.

The Z6 or Z6II at 24mp has a stunning sensor with great light gathering availability, adding the 50mm 1.8s just works so well.
Light brings colour, large pixels brings even more colour with less iso needs, Nikon has been renowned for accurate file colour and brilliant image files a little lacking on the Z9 i feel and better on the Z6II and D850, this could on the Z9 be possibly my not using the optimal settings properly.
The 50mm 1.8s reminds me of a refined 50mm 1.8 FX lens also very sharp, however the colour and edge to edge performance of the S lens is noticeably better.
Did Tamron make the lens ???

Only an opinion

Last edited:
See
I've been buying 50mm nifty fifty nikkors since AI vintage - the 50mm AFS were very good but the Z 1.8 and 1.2 are fantastic...🦘

I found this guy to be an excellent MC presenter, fabulous articulate smooth speaking with lots of content that would make you by sand in the desert, as you say over hyped, never the less he is an excellnt presenter, a great marketer.

The Z6 or Z6II at 24mp has a stunning sensor with great light gathering availability, adding the 50mm 1.8s just works so well.
Light brings colour, large pixels brings even more colour with less iso, Nikon has been renowned for accurate file colour and brilliant image files a little lacking on the Z9 i feel and better on the Z6II and D850, this could on the Z9 be possibly my not using the optimal settings.
The 50mm 1.8s reminds me of a refined 50mm 1.8 FX lens also very sharp, however the colour and edge to edge performance the S lens is noticeably better.
Did Tamron make the lens ???

Only an opinion
Pretty sure Tamron did not make or design the 50mm 1.8S 😁😳😀 I think Nikon is having too much fun designing and building for the new mount. The Tamron liaison seems to be about growing the alternate offerings, which is altogether a good thing.
I got the 50 for use on the Z6II. It produces image quality it is very difficult not to be delighted by. It is a great little lens. It also holds up really well on the Z9. That said I like using the Z6II and 50 combo a lot. Small light, brilliant image quality etc. 👏🏻😎
I only have 3 Z series lenses and I think the 50mm 1.8 S is a must have. I am not at all tempted by the larger more expensive 50mm lenses. That may well have to do with size.

All that matters is .............Are you happy.........

I sure am! Using the vintage prime lenses has brought the fun back into photography for me. I've now got about 25 including some duplicates which I'll weed out and some duplicate focal lengths that won't be weeded as they are different brands. 3x 135mm f3.5 and 2x 135mm f2.8 and 1 135mm f2.5 and I'm now getting to know which lens took a shot from looking at the image. Pre processing that is. If I shot jpg I think the differences would be maintained.

Best bargain was a Sun 135mm f2.8 that has the original leather case and Branded original cleaning cloth and is as sharp as a tack. Cost inc. delivery was 19.99 GPP!!

Last edited:
I sure am! Using the vintage prime lenses has brought the fun back into photography for me. I've now got about 25 including some duplicates which I'll weed out and some duplicate focal lengths that won't be weeded as they are different brands. 3x f3.5 and 2x f2.8 and 1 f2.5 and I'm now getting to know which lens took a shot from looking at the image. Pre processing that is. If I shot jpg I think the differences would be maintained.

Best bargain was a Sun 135mm f2.8 that has the original leather case and Branded original cleaning cloth and is as sharp as a tack. Cost inc. delivery was 19.99 GPP!!
That"s awesome, being happy is all that matters, some of the old lenses can produce unique looks.

I like the old Ziess 18mm 3.5 F3.5 and the 21mm F2.8, particularity as you just dial it to infinity and its bang on for taking amazing landscape areal shots hanging out of a light air craft window in the out back.

Ziess has a unique look, amazing contrast and pop we always seem to want to add in post LOL, you can get other cheaper smaller lenses that perform better on MTF charts in terms of sharpness but its that certain unique look of isolation and colour contrast and background that is unique with the Ziess and their performance at wide open stops excels..

The Nikon 50mm 1.8s simply is articulate sharp corner to corner, its like you scanned the image, i use it at around F4........i find the bokah is ok, you need to pay a fortune if you want more of that unique creamy bokah, the bargain 35mm 1.4 G has the goods on that and they have dropped in price dramatically used.

I get spectacular results with amazing creamy backgrounds and a lot of focal range cover with my F2.8 70-200 FL especially shooting nature up close at 200mm....as well as everything else, its the lightest and best 70-200 i think Nikon has made, the Z version is heavier ? dearer and well optically splitting hairs, I much prefer the lighter FL by a long way especially hand held, and i can use it on FX or Z cameras, its my number one used lens even with Tcs.

However despite all said and done things are not always about tack sharp corner to corner with Old or New lenses, we usually crop images so edge sharpness wasn't a real priority in the past and lenses could be made to be sharper in the centre, now with mirror less and transitioning into the world of Tik Tok and the Internet breeding the next generation of Videographers we need that corner to corner sharpness without focus breathing, so the new series lenses seem to do the job for Video.

My standard kit on a shoot is always the 50mm 1.8s and i like it very much at F4 for the Z9, the rest of the kit is 14-24, 70-200 FL D850 Z9 FTZ, TC 1.4 TC x2, and my 16mm fish eye i just love when you master the art of using it, its just so incredibly sharp and has a 180 degree field of view. I do have a brilliant 24-70 as well.

I am watching out for a brilliant buy on a Z6II Cheap, as i mostly shoot JPEG the 10-14fps is more than i ever need, the ISO to 12800 is perfect, the colour and 24mp is perfect for lower light, add this to the 50mm 1.8s and you have a very light versatile unique camera that is underrated for all round use and especially travel.

Last edited:
Back