NIKON 600FL VS 600TC

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

grossidm

Marketplace
Anyone that sold their FL for the TC seeing any considerable difference (aside from the built in TC)? I've been seriously considering the TC lately, but I'm not sold that there is any considerable difference beyond the built in teleconverter. I've already watched YouTube vids and all that, I'm looking for legit experience on it.

Yes I sold mine -- the Z lens is lighter, has more controls, has new Af motors and coatings, and yes is slightly longer - but it does not require an FTZ adapter. It also has a "new" foot mounts - the 400, 600 and 800 all have the same mount. AND a new design 46mm drop in filter fitting that does not require an optical element when not in use.

Since I sold my FL I did not get to run a side by side -- to be honest why would I -- after buying the new lens.

I own both the 400TC and 600TC, took both to Kenya together with 2 Z9 bodies and a Z7+100-400 -- I was primarily shooting big cats. AND I found that I used the 400 65% of the time, but 44% of these were at 560mm. Which means I was shooting at ~600mm or longer for 56% of the time. I used the 600mm at 840 56% of the time I used this lens. Often I used the TC to "zoom in" rather than swap cameras/lenses. As a result the 400/560 was the "most" useful lens on this trip. BUT - then it was the 600 at 840. etc...

Steve recently said that one should look at your historic shooting data to see what focal length you use most often natively -- I had and saw that historically 600mm was my most used Focal length on Safaris (I used to travel with both a 400 and 600). Since I also shoot big cats in very low light having a 400/4.8 is also an essential part of my kit.

I suggest you look for Steve's interview on YouTube for more guidance. I have had none of the issues that Steve and others have faced with their Z9's -- in fact my "only issue" was the impact tall grass had on my AF when using AF-Area modes -- see my thread.

In relation to these new lenses -- I find that the lens control rings and function rings are "dangerous" for how I use the lens and as a result I have both disabled them and taped over the one where I most frequently hold the lens. See image.

One can buy both Roland Pro and Lens Coat covers for these lenses now AND a range of Replacement Feet (I use the Zenelli Carbon Fibre foot) AND Karl Zemlin makes replacement hood and lens caps -- All are GREAT. I use a panning plate on an over the door beanbag - I bought from a safari operator I travelled with in 2016.

20230324 - 092854 - _A016190 - NIKKOR Z 24-120mm f-4 S -¹⁄₁₀₀₀ sec at ƒ - 11 - ISO 450 - ‒ ⅓ E...jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

20230318 - 082439 - _Z906677 - NIKKOR Z 400mm f-2.8 TC VR S -¹⁄₁₆₀₀ sec at ƒ - 5.0 - ISO 1100 ...jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Back