Nikon 600mm D f/4

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi everyone. I'm a long time YouTube follower of Steve's, but a new forum member. I tired the search feature to find an answer to my question and didn't see any relevant results, so sorry if this has been discussed. I want a 600mm f4 to shoot on my Nikon D500 and D750. The "G" version is going to be out of my budget so I am looking for feedback on the 600 "D"... I'll shoot it supported and use my 300 PF plus TC for walk around. Does the "D" series preform similarly to the newer versions when supported? Anything else I should be aware of ? Thanks for the help.

Hopefully, someone with experience with the 600 D will chime in (I never owned one), but I still have two thoughts to pass along:

1. Pretty much any big Nikon prime is outstanding from an image quality standpoint, so no worries there.

2. One downside to the D series (any D series) is that if you want to adapt it to the Nikon Z series mirrorless it won't focus with the adapter.

Hopefully, someone with experience with the 600 D will chime in (I never owned one), but I still have two thoughts to pass along:

1. Pretty much any big Nikon prime is outstanding from an image quality standpoint, so no worries there.

2. One downside to the D series (any D series) is that if you want to adapt it to the Nikon Z series mirrorless it won't focus with the adapter.
One possible advantage of item 2. As the Z series become more popular it might free up more D series lenses and have a positive impact on pricing. :unsure:

I previously owned the D series 500mm AF-S and currently own the 600mm F4 AF-S "D" series and I have used them on my D500 & D850 and have been pleased with both. That being said I can't say how they would compare or perform against the newer versions because I have never owned or used any of them. I too was looking for an affordable way to get into prime glass and is why I got them. I never dreamed I would be able to own something like this in a lens. Compared against off brand big zooms that I had previously, there is no comparison. Compared against my Nikon 200-500, the prime is still sharper and faster but the 200-500 can't be beat for affordability and portability with reach. On a side note just be sure not to purchase an AFi version as it is my understanding that they can't be repaired any longer.

Thanks, Steve! I wasn't aware the mirrorless system didn't focus with the D series. I actually have three bodies a D will work on (D500, D750, D4) but I had been thinking of switching to mirrorless. I was kind of waiting to see what Nikon comes out with next.

I previously owned the D series 500mm AF-S and currently own the 600mm F4 AF-S "D" series and I have used them on my D500 & D850 and have been pleased with both. That being said I can't say how they would compare or perform against the newer versions because I have never owned or used any of them. I too was looking for an affordable way to get into prime glass and is why I got them. I never dreamed I would be able to own something like this in a lens. Compared against off brand big zooms that I had previously, there is no comparison. Compared against my Nikon 200-500, the prime is still sharper and faster but the 200-500 can't be beat for affordability and portability with reach. On a side note just be sure not to purchase an AFi version as it is my understanding that they can't be repaired any longer.
Thanks for the heads up on the AF-I. I was aware that those lenses are basically unable to be repaired. You have to make sure when you shopping used, especially from private parties. I've seen the AF-I miss identified as an AF-S twice before.

It sounds like we're in a similar situation. I'm glad to hear of someone using it with newer bodies.

Thanks for the heads up on the AF-I. I was aware that those lenses are basically unable to be repaired. You have to make sure when you shopping used, especially from private parties. I've seen the AF-I miss identified as an AF-S twice before.

It sounds like we're in a similar situation. I'm glad to hear of someone using it with newer bodies.
I was not aware however either that the "D" series does not work with mirrorless.... that befuttles me! ( I guess maybe I will just stick with DSLR for now then).

I was not aware however either that the "D" series does not work with mirrorless.... that befuttles me! ( I guess maybe I will just stick with DSLR for now then).
The D series lenses used a mechanical "screwdriver" drive between the camera and lens. The camera has a motor that turns the focus ring (you can see the little coupler on the mount of most Nikons). The Z series adapter doesn't have a provision for the mechanical drive, so no AF :(

The D series lenses used a mechanical "screwdriver" drive between the camera and lens. The camera has a motor that turns the focus ring (you can see the little coupler on the mount of most Nikons). The Z series adapter doesn't have a provision for the mechanical drive, so no AF :(
I don't think that applies to the D lens in question.

Nikon has a 600mm f/f D ED-IF AF-S and and AF-SII version of this lens that carries both the D designation and is AF-S with the internal focusing motor. Here's a link to the AF-SII version of that lens:

Here's B&H's now obsolete ad for that same D, yet AF-S lens:

As far as I can tell the D in this case refers to still having an aperture ring and of course not having VR. Both of those changed (electronic aperture control and VR) with the G series of this lens.

I don't know anything about the Z series lens adapters and perhaps it lacks the coupling for physical aperture control but I don't think it would have AF problems with the lens above.

I don't think that applies to the D lens in question.

Nikon has a 600mm f/f D ED-IF AF-S and and AF-SII version of this lens that carries both the D designation and is AF-S with the internal focusing motor. Here's a link to the AF-SII version of that lens:

Here's B&H's now obsolete ad for that same D, yet AF-S lens:

As far as I can tell the D in this case refers to still having an aperture ring and of course not having VR. Both of those changed (electronic aperture control and VR) with the G series of this lens.

I don't know anything about the Z series lens adapters and perhaps it lacks the coupling for physical aperture control but I don't think it would have AF problems with the lens above.

Interesting. Those lenses were from before my time with Nikon (shot canon up to the D3) and I didn't realize they had motors in them.

Still, I'm not as sure as I'd like to be. I checked the FTZ compatibility list and the "D" versions are not shown. The "G" versions show up under "archived" lenses on that page, but no mention of the D series 500mm or 600mm glass.

I think we need someone with one the the lenses and an FTZ adapter to let us know for sure :) It seems like it should work as long as they have AF motors and Nikon maybe just didn't list them.

Still, I'm not as sure as I'd like to be. I checked the FTZ compatibility list and the "D" versions are not shown. The "G" versions show up under "archived" lenses on that page, but no mention of the D series 500mm or 600mm glass.

Off the cuff my guess is that the Z bodies and FTZ adapter lack the mechanical aperture coupling control. Without it I believe your camera would just show FEE and you could only shoot at the maximum aperture (e.g. f/22) or perhaps it's the minimum (f/4) but either way it wouldn't be a fully functional lens and if it really only works fully stopped down that would make AF all but impossible as well.

Off the cuff my guess is that the Z bodies and FTZ adapter lack the mechanical aperture coupling control. Without it I believe your camera would just show FEE and you could only shoot at the maximum aperture (e.g. f/22) or perhaps it's the minimum (f/4) but either way it wouldn't be a fully functional lens and if it really only works fully stopped down that would make AF all but impossible as well.

The FTZ adapter does have the aperture coupling. I can attach my 200 macro (a D series lens) to the Z cameras and the camera will stop the aperture down to whatever I select. Just have to have minimum aperture set to F/32 in this case - and of course, manual focus only. Wish they would have just included a motor in the adapter, it would have been the whole package (or made an adapter that had it as an additional option). Oh well...

I still wonder if the 600D would actually work and it's just not listed. Most third-party lenses with motors actually focus, so I think there's hope :)
Still scratching my head... :unsure:

The FTZ adapter does have the aperture coupling.
That's good news as it opens up a lot of lens possibilities like your 200mm micro lens.

I still wonder if the 600D would actually work and it's just not listed. Most third-party lenses with motors actually focus, so I think there's hope :)
Yeah, I'd put money on it (well maybe not a lot :) ). I shot with the 600mm f/4 D AF-S lens for about eight years and loved that lens. I sold it for financial reasons when I shuttered my photo business ('08-'09 downturn) and when I recovered financially shot with the 500mm f/4 D AF-S II lens for a while but just missed what I could do with a 600mm and traded up for the 600mm G lens which I'm still using and loving. Point is, those D lenses are definitely AF-S lenses with all the expected AF-S features including instant manual focus override and worked just as well with my old D2X and D200 as with my D850, D5 and D500 so it would be hard to imagine what control line or other interface is missing that would prohibit AF operation with the FTZ adapter and a Z6, Z7 or similar body.

Hopefully someone with one of those D series AF-S lenses will chime in to say definitively whether or not they work with the Z series and adapter.

I really appreciate everyone's help. I do know that the AFS version of 600D has an internal motor, but really have no idea if it has full functionality with the adaptor. I'd obviously rather have a lens that functions on a Z mount body since that is the direction everything is going.

I really hope that we can eventually find someone to actually physically confirm, especially on the big prime glass. It will likely determine if I am able to eventually crossover to mirrorless or not, as I really do not see myself spending what it would take to get new primes.

I've discussed the issue of Nikon AF-S D series lenses with a pro who has used them, as well as the G and now E (FL) series lenses. His take on it is that the older the lens line, the more slowly the lens will focus. He stated that the D-series lenses were absolutely slower focusing than the G-series lenses. As far as image quality, he said the differences he saw on the different lens series overlapped the performance of individual lenses in the different series.

I see multiple sources online that state that the D-series Nikon lenses can be used on the Nikon mirrorless cameras with the adapter, but autofocus is not available. Looking at photos of the front and back of the adapter, there is no screw-drive fitting visible, which would be required to get AF functionality with the D-series lenes. Automatic exposure modes and lens aperture settings can be changed from the camera with the D-series lenses.

As far as lens repair, years ago I was told by a Nikon rep that Nikon no longer serviced or repaired AF-I lenses. The best answer to the question of whether or not AF-S D lenses can be repaired is by calling Nikon and asking or trying to sign up for Nikon USA service for one of these lenses.

Last edited:
Interesting. Those lenses were from before my time with Nikon (shot canon up to the D3) and I didn't realize they had motors in them.

I think we need someone with one the the lenses and an FTZ adapter to let us know for sure :) It seems like it should work as long as they have AF motors and Nikon maybe just didn't list them.

Thanks for all the research, Steve. I found this discussion on Ken Rockwell's site FTZ lens adaptors. About halfway down the review says: "With AF‑S lenses like the new 20/1.8G, 16-35VR, 28-300mm VR and old 80-200/2.8 AF-S, as well as old AF‑I like my 1994 400/2.8 and the newest AF‑P lenses, everything is fully compatible with excellent full-frame autofocus, distortion corrections and full EXIF and exposure control." ... I see an AF-I 400, 2.8 listed, and this is an older lens than the AF-S "D" series. If that lens auto focuses with no functionality issues then it would make sense that the 600 AFS-D would as well, maybe???

Thanks for all the research, Steve. I found this discussion on Ken Rockwell's site FTZ lens adaptors. About halfway down the review says: "With AF‑S lenses like the new 20/1.8G, 16-35VR, 28-300mm VR and old 80-200/2.8 AF-S, as well as old AF‑I like my 1994 400/2.8 and the newest AF‑P lenses, everything is fully compatible with excellent full-frame autofocus, distortion corrections and full EXIF and exposure control." ... I see an AF-I 400, 2.8 listed, and this is an older lens than the AF-S "D" series. If that lens auto focuses with no functionality issues then it would make sense that the 600 AFS-D would as well, maybe???
Yes, that does make sense to me. I'd still love to see someone with a 600mm D lens and a Z camera try them together to be 100% sure. However, consider this as well...

If the "G" lens is out of your budget anyway, and if for some reason the D series doesn't work on the Z cameras, then it just means you'll have to use the lens on a DSLR. If you do go mirrorless (again, assuming the 600-D won't work), you can probably sell your D series lens for about what you paid for it - those older lenses eventually stop dropping in value. Then you can put that money towards a "G" series once the budget allows. In the mean time, you have use of a 600mm and at this point I think that the 600mm D would work on the Z series anyway. So, not much to lose IMO.

Just food for thought.

You're not gonna believe this!

I just had an e-mail from someone who has the 600mm F/4 AF-S II D series lens and is trying to get it to work on a Z camera! Sadly, he's getting an fEE error and can't get it to clear, even with the lens properly set to the smallest F/stop as it should be.

New Info:

He just e-mailed me back - turns out the little index tab on the lens was broken off. When he pushed it on the FTZ adapter (the way the lens would) the error cleared. So, it does appear that the 600 D will work with the Z cameras.

Last edited:

I just had an e-mail from someone who has the 600mm F/4 AF-S II D series lens and is trying to get it to work on a Z camera! Sadly, he's getting an fEE error and can't get it to clear, even with the lens properly set to the smallest F/stop as it should be.

Based on this, it sounds like it may not work. My guess, as I told him, was that maybe Nikon simply isn't updating the firmware to use that lens.
Ahhhh, that's a bummer. Hopefully that's something they can resolve in firmware as it's clearly an aperture reading/setting issue with the FEE error. Given that the Z bodies correctly read aperture on your 200mm D series micro lens they should have all the hooks in place to read and set aperture on this D series lens but clearly there's some difference they aren't accounting for.

He just e-mailed me back - turns out the little index tab on the lens was broken off. When he pushed it on the FTZ adapter (the way the lens would) the error cleared. So, it does appear that the 600 D will work with the Z cameras.
That makes more sense. I was scratching my head trying to figure out how some manually coupled D lenses would work and others would not work as they share the same mechanical coupling tab design.

I was just about to ask whether the Z series cameras include the option to program in non-CPU lens data and if that might have helped your friend but it sounds like he's got it resolved.

That makes more sense. I was scratching my head trying to figure out how some manually coupled D lenses would work and others would not work as they share the same mechanical coupling tab design.

I was just about to ask whether the Z series cameras include the option to program in non-CPU lens data and if that might have helped your friend but it sounds like he's got it resolved.
Yeah, it had me scratching my head as well. I'm glad it works. :) Give a more affordable option for big glass to a heck of a lot of people.

(Aware this is a 600mm thread, just saying) I can tell you for a fact the 500mm AF-D can't be repaired, no parts available. I gave one away ($400) a few years ago when the motor want out. I sent to 3 different independent repairs too, no luck. For that reason I would not consider any of the older af-d's.

New Info:

That's good news.

New Info:

Yeah, it had me scratching my head as well. I'm glad it works. :) Give a more affordable option for big glass to a heck of a lot of people.

I really appreciate you following up, Steve. I think I'm going to go ahead and purchase one for myself.

Back