Nikon 600mm D f/4

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

(Aware this is a 600mm thread, just saying) I can tell you for a fact the 500mm AF-D can't be repaired, no parts available. I gave one away ($400) a few years ago when the motor want out. I sent to 3 different independent repairs too, no luck. For that reason I would not consider any of the older af-d's.

You are correct. The AF-D and the AF-I lenses can not be repaired. The AF-S lenses can, as far as I know. The Nikon lens designations can sure get difficult to keep straight.

I was actually referring to AF-I and AF-S are not repairable, I stated AF-D in error. The 500 I had was an AF-S version, my error, Sorry
You're probably not that far off Charles. The 600mm f/4 D lens came in an AF-S and AF-S II version so it is both a D lens and an AF-S lens. The AF-I versions were even earlier and used a different internal motor design that Nikon scrapped when they moved to AF-S with full time manual focus override. I'd strongly suspect the AF-I versions might have parts problems as they didn't use that motor design for long, hard to say about the first generation AF-S lenses including the first versions of the 500mm f/4D AF-S and 600mm f/4D AF-S.

Hi @everyone. Just wanted to (although kinda obsolete due to the confirmation, that the AF-I lens does indeed work on the Z system) remind everyone to not mix in the D into the AF designation. This is something that STILL causes some confusion among amateurs as well as professionals. So maybe first a "what is what": The "D" stands for the distance transfer (so the information about the set focus distance) from the lens to the camera, and this can be used for flash exposure (or matrix metering if necessary). Again, it has nothing to do with the way the Camera aquires focus! All lenses since the very first Nikon F mount days had also a manually operatable Aperture Ring. Okay, that set aside: Nikon has had multiple AF systems over the past decades. After a relatively impractical prototype (80mm f/4.5) in 1971, Nikon introduced two AF Nikkor lenses (the 80mm f/2.8 and the 200mm f/3.5 IF-ED) to the market in 1983, alongside the F3AF. These had internal motors (!), just like modern lenses. Only, that these old lenses had lots of gears and were chunky due to the mechanically driven gears. [Now this would be more interesting: Do these early AF Lenses work on modern DSLRs and Z-Cameras?]. Thereafter came the better known AF NIKKORs which were also mechanically driven, BUT didn't have an internal motor anymore, but relied on the camera to drive the gears. These lenses NEED the camera to have a "Screwdrive" motor. The first to include this was the F501, the big sister of the F301. Many modern DSLRs also work with these. But ot so the lower trier DSLRs and also not the Z Mirrorless cameras (sadly). During that time, Nikon added the bespoken "Distance" functionality. Some lenses were then "updated", often times changing nothing but this functionality. To differentiate them from the ones that don't have this, they added the "D" designation in the lenses name. This is why you find many old AF lenses to be available as a D and non-D version (24 2.8D, 50 1.4D, etc.). So far so good. still, the AF was aquired by moving gears mechanically using a motor inside of the camera.
In 1992, the AF-I lenses were introduced, using again integrated, but more modern electronically driven motors for fast autofocus operation. These were Nikon’s first lenses to offer the now popular M/A focusing mode. AF-I lenses initially were limited to expensive telephoto lenses. From these intermediate now exotic lenses, the AF-S motors were developed, using also Ring-motors around the lense, but using ultrasonic for torque transmission and moving things, allowing the same speed, but being way more silent, beginning with the AI AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D IF-ED in 1999. All AF-I and AF-S lenses work (autofocus wise) with all DSLRs and Z Cameras due to that! Besides this: The focus can be set manually (truly manually!) by moving the inner elements directly with the focus ring.
Still with me? Okay: All these lenses had now still an aperture ring! Why is this important? Because many people falsely set AF-D = Aperture Ring, AF-S = No aperture ring, although the AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D is an AF-S lense and still has the Aperture Ring and the D Designation at the same time! See, the D Designation doesn't really help that much. The only way it could be used to kinda make sense is when wanting to make sure that you talk about "pre-G" lenses. Because Nikon started to remove the manual Aperture Ring and only allow the Aperture to be set by the camera instead at one point --> G meaning "gelded". Later on there also was the "E" designation, indicating the Aperture was not only set by the camera, but also set Electronically (instead of mechanically). So since the AF-I/AF-S days, not much happened autofocus wise, but the Aperture Ring was removed (D-->G) and the way the aperture was set changed (G-->E), as well as VR was introduced. Only with the newer Stepping motors the AF System was changed again: These use a “Pulse” motor and are even quieter and smoother while focusing. Downside: Older DSLRs can't handle them (well, they could, if their firmwares were to be updated) AND they can't be manually focused...well, not truly that is, since the "manual" focus is translated by the camera/lense into movement of the inner elements, not directly by the focusing ring. And that is where we are in the moment (more or less).

See, I know its complicated and even complex at times. But we should make sure to be as technically correct as possible, to make sure we talk and mean the same thing. Else, misinformation is the result, and that is these days multiplied by the internet and hard to get rid of (i mean there are still people thinking teine and caffeine are different molecules for example). I Might also have included some mistakes, so feel free to point them out. I just hope i made it a bit clearer to everyone what all these Letters mean and why it is important not to just repeat "AF-D", when it technically doesn't make sense, since there is no "D" Autofocus. There is only AF, AF-I, AF-S and AF-P. Aperture wise there is pre-Ai, Ai/Ai-S, G and E. The D is just something that was used to differentiate between AF lenses with/without the distance information forwarded to the camera. Just see it as an extra letter, just like PF for phase-fresnel or VR for vibration reduction.

Last edited:
Back