Nikon 600mm f/4 G ED lens collar is stiff and jerky when rotating the lens.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I don't have that lens but on my 200-500 when it started feeling kind of gritty, I took it off and cleaned the grit out of the inside of it. May be worth checking out.

I'd like to know as well, my 600mm f4 G is pretty good, but my 400mm f2.8 is pretty stiff. I usually grab the whole lens barrel to rotate it since I'm afraid of stressing the lens mount, but that's not ideal or convenient.

Is there any way to get the lens collar to rotate smoothly? I have loosened the screw all the way out .
FWIW, I fought with one like that for several years and eventually sent it back to Nikon service for some other work and they replaced the rotating lens collar as part of the repair. It was silky smooth after that.

FWIW, I fought with one like that for several years and eventually sent it back to Nikon service for some other work and they replaced the rotating lens collar as part of the repair. It was silky smooth after that.
I had the collar on my G series 500 F4 replaced by a camera repair clinic last year and it is now wonderfully smooth. Highly recommended if the collar becomes difficult.

Back