Nikon 600mm f/4 G on a monopod?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

A few months ago, we happened upon the 600mm f/4 G for a reasonable price and I've been using it on a tripod with the z8, but this makes it very unwieldy to move around for me. I'm 5'5" and 130lbs. I lift weights, etc, but the tripod and 11 pound lens on the shoulder is too much, so I'm considering a monopod and the Wimberly gimbal head. My question is whether this is even feasible with that lens. Has anyone done it successfully? I can't spring for the 800mm yet, so I'm trying to work with what I have for birds. Thanks!

Thank you! Yes, I watched it before posting, but he's using the newer 600mm which is about 4 pounds lighter and a bit shorter if I remember correctly.

I used my 600mm f/4 G lens on a monopod and it works but you’ll want a very sturdy monopod. I use a Gitzo series 4 monopod with the Wimberley mono-gimbal for my largest lenses.

I have shot with the 600 f4G on a monopod with the Wimberley mono gimbal head. It is a workable combination, but if your main issue is the weight; I don't think the change from a tripod to monopod is going to make a significant difference. It is more comfortable to carry the lens across your back as Steve shows in his video (around 8:45 into the video), than having the 600 vertical, which was my carrying mode with a tripod.

I have shot with the 600 f4G on a monopod with the Wimberley mono gimbal head. It is a workable combination, but if your main issue is the weight; I don't think the change from a tripod to monopod is going to make a significant difference. It is more comfortable to carry the lens across your back as Steve shows in his video (around 8:45 into the video), than having the 600 vertical, which was my carrying mode with a tripod.
Sorry for quoting whole reply, Im on my phone and its being wonky. Its not so much the weight but the inability to carry across the back as you mentioned. I've seen people do it with a tripod, but my shoulder isnt wide enough and its super painful. Im hoping with a pad, the monopod would work. Also curious how well it balances.

Back