Nikon 600mm F/6.3 PF Lens L- Fn Button

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My main complaint about the lens buttons on all Nikon Lenses is they are located at the very top and boots and sides and for me handholding with small hands they are hard to reach. I wish they were offset a bit to allow easier access.

Currently set to 3D and AF On for hybrid handoff AF from BBAF…I’ve toyed with it and might go back to one of them as focus recall with Mem Set setting…but for me I have several lenses and want the buttons to be the same if possible…600PF, 400/4.5, 100-400, and 180-600.

I have the 400-4.5 and 600pf set the same. I just have to remember to reset each time I put on a TC. I haven’t used the 100-400 recently but I would do the same here as well. All set to merry rest for focal distance.

Congratulations !!

On my camera the L-fn is assigned to recall focus - to be used with M-Set where I set the focus point.

The L-fn2 button is assigned to switch instantly to BIF settings by - Recall shooting function (without the hold) . It has a submenu which I have set up for :
Frame Rate (Release mode) - 20 FPS
Shutter Speed 1/2000
Aperture - lowest possible - in this case 6.3
ISO - auto
Metering - Centre weighted
Focus Mode - Auto Area
Subject detection - Bird

This is my normal setting when I am not shooting birds in flight
8 FPS
1/250
F8
ISO fixed
Matrix Metering
Focus mode - Wide Area C1
Subject detection - Bird

If i press the L-fn2 button it switches to BIF mode. Release the button and it is back to regular perched birds mode.
In addition, if in case I want to stay on BIF settings for a while - without having to keep the button pressed - I have the same settings assigned to my DISP button. That would be a click on - click off operation

I find the ability to switch instantly between BIF and perched bird mode is one of the most useful things in modern cameras and I aim to exploit that fully.
Enjoy the new lens.
Krish,

Appreciate your detailed response. I have programmed my lens L-fn and L-fn2 buttons as well as the Z8 camera similar to your settings and I am looking forward to trying it out in the field. Quick switch between the BIF and perched birds modes has been a challenge and I didn't realize I had the tools in my hand that I had not yet taken advantage of. Looking forward to it.

Again, a big thanks!!
Ram

I use the fn buttons for focus Distance recall as well the control ring I use for exposure compensation this way I can re program the exposure compensation button to something else. My setup is a bit odd due to my small hands and arthritis. I used to have a button programmed for BIF but recently I stopped that with the button scrolling thru AF areas. I set it to just three plus the fn1 and 2 buttons on the camera for Auto AF and one other. Depending on where I’m going I switch these around. So to get BIF, all I have to do is go for one of these buttons for a larger AF area and up the shutter speed with the rear dial. Not as good as the instant option you have but good enough for me in most cases.

Back