Nikon 600mm F4 G vs E real differences

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ruley74

I'll probably end up moving my 400/2.8 on to get a 600/4.

With the exception on weight for those that have had or used both, is there really much difference in IQ, VR etc?

Here in Oz the difference would be 5k in price at a minimum, that 5k could get me a good used D5 with the G series lens...

Obviously (to me) if it's a professional tool you'd favour the newer one, but for an amateur obsessed.... dunno.

Cheers,

I've used both extensively and there is a difference. The E is lighter and sharper than the G model, and also features the single piece hood (nicer than you think). In order to get the same sharpness from my G lens that I get wide open with my E lens, I always had to stop down just a bit - usually just 1/3rd to 1/2 stop, but it made a difference. Still, even wide open they are close - we're comparing Lamborghinis and Ferraris here. I also think the E lens takes TCs just slightly better. Again, not worlds different, but nonetheless measurable.

Still, for a long time after I purchased the E version of the lens (I sold my G version and - get this - had to add that same $5000), I questioned if I really did the right thing. Eventually, I decided it was a good move now that I'm not missing my $5K anymore, but it's close.

If it's possible at all, you may want to at least try to handle both lenses and maybe take them out for a day just to see. My gut feeling is that you'd probably be happier with the 600 G and the D5 though.

I made the choice to not opt for the extra 5000k. If I was selling photo for a living I would feel the same as Steve... I had a 400 2/8 and now I have the 600G Im as happy as I could be with this lens. the only thing to watch out for on some g lenses the metadata doesn't transfer correctly.. ( meaning if I have just the lens everything is correct, if I add a 1.4 X. it still shows as 600mm. and f4. while this bothers me a little... it's not worth 5000.00.
I would make the same decision now as I made someday I might go to the E but right now Im extremely happy with my current setup.

I’ve owned both.
I used to hike with two lenses for my ‘work’ a 200-400 carried with the Spiderpro holster and the 600G on a monopod over my shoulder. (I shot the G with the monopod all the time handheld if needed)
When the E was released I bought it and I liked the lesser weight and better balance. (Didn’t take very long before I traded the lens in for a 180-400 which made it possible to ditch the two lenses favor of one)

Regarding IQ I couldn’t really see a difference, maybe I had a stellar G and an excellent E?

May be clear by now but If I had to choose this moment between ‘only’ an E on one hand and a D5 plus G on the other I’d choose the G plus D5 handsdown.
(Well personally I would buy neither but that’s not the question here LOL)

I do not consider either 600mm hand holdable, nor for that matter the 180-400mm lens. The camera also makes a difference as the loss of resolution with a 20MP D5 or D6 requires as much glass as possible. A 500mm on the D850 provides roughly the same image size as a 600mm on a D5.

Depending upon what and where you shoot a 500mm / 700mm f/5.6 with a TC-14 may be more useful than a 600mm / 840mm setup. The 500mm f/4 is $2,000 less and weighs 1.6 lbs less than the 600mm f/4E lens.

I have the 600mm f/4E lens but I have found myself using the 500mm PF lens a great deal more of the time on my travels. Not needing to use a tripod makes me much more mobile and shooting at eye level is far faster to do as well. with the 500mm PF lens.

Thank you all for your feedback. If I got the G I wouldn't be getting the D5 also... well not yet anyhow, i am considering swapping out my D500 for a more low light capable FF camera. I really already spent way too much building my kit for someone who just does it for fun but I knew a 600/4 is were i would lead to so that's my next step. The only reason i got the 400/2.8 is it came up too cheap not to grab as i knew I'd get my money back plus a bit instantly (have already been offered!) I realistically want the E as I think i would hand hold quite a bit...

The 500PF is a thought but considering I feel like i got a good 200-500 the only thing I'd really gain there is AF speed as the weight I'm fine with.

Cheers,

FWIW, if I owned a recent model 400mm f/2.8 I probably wouldn't spend money on a 600mm f/4 of similar vintage. The 400mm with a TC, especially a TC-14 II or III is a spectacular lens and it's probably the best lens in Nikon's lineup when it comes to IQ with a TC-17 or TC-20 III mounted up. Basically you get the versatility of a 400mm f/2.8, 560mm f/4, 680mm f/4.5 or 800mm f/5.6 in one big prime.

But if you really want to go to a 600mm prime then I've only got good things to say about my 600mm f/4 G lens.

Last edited:
FWIW, if I owned a recent model 400mm f/2.8 I probably wouldn't spend money on a 600mm f/4 of similar vintage. The 400mm with a TC, especially a TC-14 II or III is a spectacular lens and it's probably the best lens in Nikon's lineup when it comes to IQ with a TC-17 or TC-20 III mounted up.

But if you really want to go to a 600mm prime then I've only got good things to say about my 600mm f/4 G lens.
Thanks, I originally had that thought with the 400 and got the 2x with it, however I have found with the 400 and 2x unless I'm mostly filling the frame on the D850 I will not use it, and on the D500 it seems pretty average that i wont use it at all. I've tried AF fine tune for improvements but it's just not acceptable for me. I may have a bad version 3 2x... dunno. My version 2 1.4 is good, i use that most of the time. I am torn a little, in the rainforest the 400/2.8 is great and we're in there a fair bit. Maybe i keep the 400 and add the 600G!

I have never been blessed with owning one of these two 600mm guns.
But I own an 500 f4 G and some time ago I had the opportunity to shoot the 500 f4 E for two days. Since then I am dreaming of changing over to the 500 f4 E just because of the saved weight (a bit less than 1 kg and yes, it makes diffference) and the drastically reduced front-heaviness. I can image that these effects are even bigger with the 600mm saving about 1.2 kg from G to E and the difference in front heaviness should also be much more evident compared to the 500mm , because the front elements of the 600mm are much bigger. If I didn't have the G already and wanted to buy something this long, I definitely would try to get the additiotnal money together and buy an E seires lens, despite the fact that im terms of resolution and IQ an E lens would not make a difference with my cameras.

For years I had a 500G, never really liked it with a 1.4. It was sharpest 1/3-2/3 stop down from wide open which took away some of the benefit of it being f4. I decided to trade it in but had a very hard time deciding between the 500E and 600E. I guess I really wanted the 600E but the budget said go with the 500E. As written above, the 500E is better than the G in that it's sharpest at f4, is noticably lighter and seems to take a 1.4 tc better.
Within 6 months I got the 600E. The 500E seemed to always have a 1.4 tc on it and was still not enough. It was much easier to hand hold but the reach of the 600E (especially with the 1.4) can't be beat. If you can justify the need for reach, I'd hold out for a 600.

I am in the same boat as the OP. I am planning on buying a 600 f4 next summer. I am also trying to decide if the E is worth the extra money.

I came to the decision that yes it is worth buying the E but now I am on the fence. My reason for deciding to pay the price for the E over the G was because of weight and sharpness. As I get older less weight will always be welcomed. Sharper is always better especially as MP continue to climb, I see the E version as more future proof. But now being on the fence brings me to the points below.

I am questioning the new lens with a premium price tag for a few reasons.

1. With the near future being mirrorless for Nikon and now Nikon has announced a 600 and 400 in a native mount for the Z series I question if it is financially smart to pay for a new 600 E when in a few years Nikon will have the Z version of a D6 along with even more updated Z6 and Z7 cameras out.
  2. I am also considering if I want to stay with Nikon or switch over to Canon or Sony. I am leaning more Canon with the R5 and Canon will also have native 400 and 600 coming out next year.
  3. If in the near future I move to a full mirrorless system do I want to be stuck with an adapter for years to come?
  4. Buying a 600 E or Canon/Sony anchors me into a brand and system. If I am going to make a change that is the time to do it. I can wait a bit but if by the summer of 2021 Nikon doesn't have a clear answer to the R5 and Sony A9II/A7R4 than it only makes sense to change brands.
Lot's to think about and luckily I have a little time to figure it out but I don't want to wait a couple of years for Nikon when others are already there. It also makes me wonder if Nikon would ever catch up.

Just my 2 cents.

I think it depends on what you like to shoot and whether or not mirrorless works for you. For me, it's DSLRs for the foreseeable future but I also know deep down that the day will come and Nikon will cease dslr production and support. Just when that happens is still a best guess. For me, I have the glass and the bodies I'll need for my remaining years as long as everything is allowed to keep working (batteries and memory are a long term concern). A couple of years ago, hand holding a 600E wasn't a problem but it is starting to become one. Not sure if the aches and pains are a result of hefting that beast around or if there is something else going on. I'm not ready to part with it yet but who knows, that day may come as well. If Nikon made a 600pf I'd probably go that route but they don't and probably never will in F mount.

I am in the same boat as the OP. I am planning on buying a 600 f4 next summer. I am also trying to decide if the E is worth the extra money.

I came to the decision that yes it is worth buying the E but now I am on the fence. My reason for deciding to pay the price for the E over the G was because of weight and sharpness. As I get older less weight will always be welcomed. Sharper is always better especially as MP continue to climb, I see the E version as more future proof. But now being on the fence brings me to the points below.

I am questioning the new lens with a premium price tag for a few reasons.

1. With the near future being mirrorless for Nikon and now Nikon has announced a 600 and 400 in a native mount for the Z series I question if it is financially smart to pay for a new 600 E when in a few years Nikon will have the Z version of a D6 along with even more updated Z6 and Z7 cameras out.
  2. I am also considering if I want to stay with Nikon or switch over to Canon or Sony. I am leaning more Canon with the R5 and Canon will also have native 400 and 600 coming out next year.
  3. If in the near future I move to a full mirrorless system do I want to be stuck with an adapter for years to come?
  4. Buying a 600 E or Canon/Sony anchors me into a brand and system. If I am going to make a change that is the time to do it. I can wait a bit but if by the summer of 2021 Nikon doesn't have a clear answer to the R5 and Sony A9II/A7R4 than it only makes sense to change brands.
Lot's to think about and luckily I have a little time to figure it out but I don't want to wait a couple of years for Nikon when others are already there. It also makes me wonder if Nikon would ever catch up.

Just my 2 cents.
Honestly if you read Steve review about sharpness between the two its very minimal ... I can't speak to the difference but I have zero issues with sharpness with my G. and I shoot wide open 99 percent of the time. there are quite a few of us using there 600G lens and they are producing fantastic images. Not sure I would really put much weight on sharpness as Steve has eluded to. the E is defiantly lighter though! 🤣

I have had my 600G for about four years now and absolutely love it. Couldn't imagine being without this level of quality at this focal length. However, strapped to a gripped D850, Jobu gimbal and legs, it's 23lbs (10+ kilos) on my shoulder. I walk with it a lot when on the prowl for subject matter but always glad to place it on the ground. I can only defer to others who speak of the E's added sharpness as I've not tried it. If Could recoup a good chunk of my investment on it I would entertain the E but a 500pf is the lens I'm thinking of more than anything else as being the most additive to my kit.

I've tested the 600 f/4 G with the TC14E II and the TC14E III. I found there was a small improvement in microcontrast (midtone detail contrast such as color and brightness detail in a blade of grass) with the III over the II. AF speed was still fast and it was very accurate.

I find the 1.7 and 2.0 teleconverters work, but are so hard to use and demanding of technique that I prefer just using the 1.4. The 1.4 gives me a very solid 850mm effective focal length at f/5.6 or so. At that level I still have ample resolution for cropping if needed. As expected, I only use this combination with a good tripod and gimbal head.

When you are talking a 600mm lens plus teleconverter, light weight is overrated. The weight of the lens helps to reduce any vibration from the shutter, wind, or even your breath.

@dtibbals I have the same thoughts regards the updated lenses on the way and spending 14k (AUD) on a 600E. However regards adapting, I started with the Canon EOS R and adapted EF lenses and it all worked really well so I have no issues adapting to a body that is suited to wildlife when available. I have some good F mount lenses so i wouldn't be moving to another mount any time soon.

@dtibbals I have the same thoughts regards the updated lenses on the way and spending 14k (AUD) on a 600E. However regards adapting, I started with the Canon EOS R and adapted EF lenses and it all worked really well so I have no issues adapting to a body that is suited to wildlife when available. I have some good F mount lenses so i wouldn't be moving to another mount any time soon.
I haven’t had any issues with adapting F lenses to my Z however my thought is if I buy a new 600 in 2021 it’s got to be the lens for 10 years. In 5-10 years when DSLR is long in the past do I really want to adapt a lens that long when I could buy a native 600 for a mount I’ll still likely be using in 10 years? Trying to thing long into the future with an investment like this.

Do it, do it....doooo It... :devilish: The devil made me, do it! 🤣🤣😂

devil eehh?:eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

50C65974-164C-4BF0-ACF6-297757280F2D.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

There's a sale on at the moment... 13250 AUD (~9650 USD) for the E.... DAM that's tempting.
Thats a fantastic new price...I paid 10k AUD for a completely unused, mint 1 year old example a few weeks ago, figuring out that they don't come up on the secondhand market much....But thats a very tempting new price :) Given my experiences over the last 3 weeks, I would say don't look back, its a great lens!

Thats a fantastic new price...I paid 10k AUD for a completely unused, mint 1 year old example a few weeks ago, figuring out that they don't come up on the secondhand market much....But thats a very tempting new price :) Given my experiences over the last 3 weeks, I would say don't look back, its a great lens!
Thanks Laurence, I've been keeping an eye out for second hand ones here but only seen G's, people want too much for them still I feel. Congrats on finding and picking up an E.

Back