Nikon 600mm f4 to 800mm pf

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Anyone trade their 600mm f4E for a 800mm pf? How do you feel about your switch? I’m at a real impasse. A buddy has the 800 and I’m amazed at how light and manageable it is and not needed a tripod or monopod is a huge plus. I used it quite a bit and really like it. I use my 600 for wildlife mostly raptors over water or fields and a few bigger mammal trips a year. My 1.4 tc is usually attached to my 600 for bif and usually when it gets dark enough to take off the tc and use f4 I wrap it up anyway. I have the 180-600 on order but 600mm is usually still too short so I want something to hit the 800 range be it 600 f4 +tc or 800. It’s just so hard to let the big telephoto go because I’ll never be able to afford a z 600 f4.

I didn’t own a 600mm f4e but did own a 600mm f4g. I sold the 600mm f4g (just in time as the prices are plummeting) and waited a little over a year for the 800mm. I couldn’t be happier! The 800mm has not been off my z9 yet. It became such a chore to get out and use the 600mm and the 800mm is so easy. Plus I love the extra reach and am routinely able to hand hold at 1/200 of a second and get sharp images. I kept my 500mm pf and 300mm pf but have not used them since I got the 800mm. I’m sure at some point the 800mm will be too long and I will use the 300mm and/or 500mm. I think it depends on what you are shooting but if you are using a tc with the 600mm alot the 800mm will likely suit you.

I have both lenses and have rarely used the 600mm f4E since getting 800 PF. Its just so much easier to grab the 800 and go, rather than fiddling with a tripod.

So much depends on how/what you shoot. Just tonight I positioned a meal worm feeder for the house wrens. Set up an outhouse blind. In the morning I will add a background, and spend a few hours morning and evening in the blind "attempting" to catch the wrens in flight as they leave the feeder. I'll be sitting in a chair, 600mm f4 FL on a tripod. I'll be doing the same at my blue bird house in a few days. So for me all the benefits mentioned for the 800 don't apply. But that is my situation, yours is entirely different. For you the 800 PF would probably be a good plan. The only thing is that the prices for used 600mm has dropped to the point you might just keep the 600..If it turns out that you really don't need it sell it. The prices probably, maybe won't go much lower.

I had the 600E but recently sold it. While waiting for the Z600TC I have tried the 800 PF. The weight difference doesn't help me; I can't handhold either one. Obviously the PF has greater reach until I put a TC on the 600E, but even then in my opinion the 600E produced better overall rendering. I'm going to keep waiting for the 600Z.

Haven't used a 600mm prime, but finally received my 800 PF a few weeks ago. Had used a 150-600 on my Z9/Z8 and D500 before that for years. Obviously that lens isn't in the same class optically as the 600 prime, but in terms of reach I found I was shooting at 600mm 90% of the time. I just took the 800 to Belize for the weekend and absolutely loved it. The reach is amazing, and gets even better in DX mode. (I also have the 1.4TC but I didn't try using it.) The lens was easily hand-holdable, fast focusing, and very sharp. Even shots of distant shots where the bird is small in the frame hold up really well when viewed at 100%. If you're using a TC most of the time anyway then I think you'd be very happy swapping the greater max aperture for the extra reach and portability.

I received the 800 pf just before a 10 week Yellowstone trip beginning in mid March. I have a 600 g as well as a 500 pf. The 600 never saw any use the entire trip. Snow, rain, wind, early, late it didn't matter. As you probably know most of the "fun" mammals in the park are never close enough and if they are it's usually a fleeting moment. I found out quick the ability to skip setting up a tripod and shoot hand holding at 800mm is quite the tool. I was pleasantly surprised for sure. Having said that.....I won't get rid of the 600 anytime soon. It has its strengths in different circumstances than what I encountered this last trip. And it shines on the z9. As others have posted the 800 is quick to use. Most of the time we're looking for more reach if we're shooting outside.....sounds like you need an 800pf:).

I sold my 600 FL E a few years back when I switched to Sony. Now that I'm back shooting Nikon I'm on a waiting list for the 600TC. I originally rejected the idea of the 800pf due to its lack of versatility but when my dealer called and offered me a deal on a lightly used one I decided to give the 800pf a go. My first impressions are that it's relatively small for an 800mm, light, super sharp and the synchro VR is excellent -- it's an amazing lens. I was out shooting video yesterday with the 800pf+2xTC 4k120p 2.3x DX crop (3680mm equivalent focal length) and got surprisingly usable results. Crazy! My biggest complaints are the 6m MFD, narrow FOV and funky near-background bokeh. I have an RDS (red dot sight) mounted on a cage on my Z9 to help find subjects when shooting long lenses so am hopeful that will help solve the narrow FOV problem. But really, there's not much to complain about, especially since it was 1/3 the price of the 600TC. I have my name in for the 180-600 and the next few months will determine if I can "get by" with the zoom and 800pf or whether I'll still go for the 600TC. As far as portability goes, the Z9+800pf is about the heaviest rig I'm prepared to hike any distance with and the idea of hauling around the heavier 600TC is not very appealing.

Like Gov, I have rarely used my 600e since getting the 800z last summer. I am keeping my 600e as I still use dslrs and would need it if the Z9 is out of service for any reason. While the 800z has very good IQ, there is something about the 600e at f4 that just looks better. If I had to keep only one, it would be the 800Z.

Reactions: Gov
My 1.4 tc is usually attached to my 600 for bif and usually when it gets dark enough to take off the tc and use f4 I wrap it up anyway.
If this is how you use your 600/4 then the 800PF is a no brainer. I don't see any reason not to make the switch. I guess maybe the non-PF lens may render OOF areas better than the PF but I'm not sure how big of a deal that is.

For me I shoot my 600/4 at 600/4 90% of the time. The 800PF would not be a good replacement for it.

I've still got my 600 f/4 G - but since getting the 800mm PF I've hardly used it. The 600mm f/4 is specifically for f/4 on a tripod and occasional use with the 1.4 TC. The 600mm lens is very sharp and fast, but the weight plus the required gimbal limits it's use. The 800mm is my small bird lens, and it's very easy to use handheld. The 400mm f/4.5 + 1.4 TC is also part of equation since it would be my choice if I just needed a 400-600mm focal length. The value of the 600 f/4 has dropped so much, I consider it a bargain lens at this point. It's also a great choice when you don't need mobility - shooting from a blind or a platform at a distance.

I traded in my 600mm f4 f-mount lens when I get the Z800mm and the 800 was a terrific lens. But sometimes too much lens and I found myself having to back up. I then sold the 800mm when I got the new Z 600mm TC and that gives me the advantage of shooting either at 600mm or 840mm and it is the best lens I have ever owned. But it is very expensive and sometimes too heavy to lug around, depending on what type of shooting I am doing. So I am excited about getting the new 180-600mm which will be very versatile and easy to hike with and not too hard to hand hold. And when I need more than 600mm with that lens, I could use the 1.4X TC but I suspect that quality will be better going to DX mode with a 45MP sensor and also will be easier to switch back and forth FX to DX then taking TC on and off.

I had the 600E but recently sold it. While waiting for the Z600TC I have tried the 800 PF. The weight difference doesn't help me; I can't handhold either one. Obviously the PF has greater reach until I put a TC on the 600E, but even then in my opinion the 600E produced better overall rendering. I'm going to keep waiting for the 600Z.
You are gonna love it Barbara, it’s an amazing piece of glass it really is.

Most of the time I used my 600mm f/4E with the TC-14 attached for a 8.8 lb lens providing f/5.6. The 800mm PF is 3.6 lbs lighter and provides 800mm at f/6.3 so little lost but a lot of weight. I never shot with the 600mm hand held and so needing a tripod for support made me a lot less mobile. I can shoot for short periods hand held with the 800mm PF.

Ever see a bunch of photographers with big lenses photographing wildlife and notice that once they have set up their tripod they stay in that fixed location and at that fixed height the entire time? Often I would grab the 80-400mm with a TC-14 attached and leave the 600mm and the tripod in my car.

On any boat I used the 80-400mm and later the 500mm PF lens exclusively as I did not need to use a tripod. The 500mm PF was a game changer for me and while I owned it the lens always was in my backpack with a camera body attached.

The first week I had with the 800mm PF lens I photographed some hairy woodpeckers high up in an oak tree. I was able to move around as they went from limb tot limb and with the Z9 autofocus critter detect it was easy to point and shoot. With the 600mm f/4 I would not have been able to photograph them as they moved around too much and too fast.

Overlooked is how much one gains by not needing to use a tripod. I can change my subject's background in an instant or go down on one knee to shoot at eye level with nearby subjects. The odds of getting a keeper shot go up dramatically when one is not tied to a tripod.

Anyone trade their 600mm f4E for a 800mm pf? How do you feel about your switch? I’m at a real impasse. A buddy has the 800 and I’m amazed at how light and manageable it is and not needed a tripod or monopod is a huge plus. I used it quite a bit and really like it. I use my 600 for wildlife mostly raptors over water or fields and a few bigger mammal trips a year. My 1.4 tc is usually attached to my 600 for bif and usually when it gets dark enough to take off the tc and use f4 I wrap it up anyway. I have the 180-600 on order but 600mm is usually still too short so I want something to hit the 800 range be it 600 f4 +tc or 800. It’s just so hard to let the big telephoto go because I’ll never be able to afford a z 600 f4.
I sold my 800 AFS and bought a 400 f.4.5 with the 180-600 on order.
I found 800mm was just a bit long for what I was shooting - 600mm seems ideal.
Although big and heavy - I've kept my 600 f4e.
If Nikon eventually releases that 600 PF Z lens then I might be very happy ... 🦘

I sold my 800 AFS and bought a 400 f.4.5 with the 180-600 on order.
I found 800mm was just a bit long for what I was shooting - 600mm seems ideal.
Although big and heavy - I've kept my 600 f4e.
If Nikon eventually releases that 600 PF Z lens then I might be very happy ... 🦘
600mm is frequently not quite enough focal length for this birder. I seriously considered the AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR but it was not only even heavier and more ungainly than my 600 f/4E but also very expensive and not a lens to be hand held. I was delighted that the 800pf came out and that made me sell my, always a bit to short in focal length and logistically challenging, 600 f/4E.

As the current owner of a 600/4E FL I just had the opportunity to rent the Z 800/6.3 and was obviously blown away by the size/weight and super practical ballistic bag. Comparing optical performance I did a central resolution tests of the 800 vs my 600 with a TC-14Eiii with the identical distance setup on a heavy duty tripod with a gimbal head. Multiple shots were taken as lighting varied and the sharpest image was used for each lens. It turns out the 600 combo was a little sharper. Attached are my central test shots. The 800 on the top resolves just over 72 lp/mm (0,4+) and the 600 plus a TC-14Eiii on the bottom resolves just under 88 lp/mm (0,6-). Practically speaking I doubt you'd see the difference with normal shooting but for those who mostly shoot birds from a stationary position on a tripod, the older 600/4E with a TC-14E is still a decent option especially if heavy cropping is needed where you need as much resolution as possible. Interestingly the Z 800 did better on the setup with the VR switched off while the 600/4 combo still benefited slightly from the VR being switched on. Another nice point about the 800/6.3 is that it performed quite well with a lighter medium duty tripod and ball head that would be a questionable support with a heavier 600/4 so not only is the lens lighter by a few pounds but you can carry a lighter tripod (if needed) making it a far better choice from a mobility standpoint.

DSC_9023 800 f6.3, 72+ lppmm.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

DSC_8995 600 f4 +TC-14Eiii, 88+ lppmm.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
The difference for me was with the much lighter weight of the 800mm PF lens at 5.2 lbs versus 8.8 lbs for the 600mm with the TC-14. Huge difference in my ability to shoot without having the lens supported by a tripod. Roughly 90% of the time when I used the 600mm lens it was with the 1.4x teleconverter attached.

Equally important in hand held use of the 800mm PF lens has been the Z9 autofocus that will lock onto subjects heads much faster than my DSLR D850 and D5 cameras.

When I first got the 500mm PF it greatly changed how I shot when freed from needing a tripod. I get nearly as much benefit from the 800mm PF lens.

There is also the consideration of how well a lens can be used when shooting from a small boat. With a large inflatable boat I could use a tripod with a 600mm lens but for the small boats I hire in places like Brazil, Costa Rica, and Alaska, a tripod is not practical even when it is only me and my wife and the driver in the boat.

I suspect people switching to the Z 600 mm TC lens has had an impact on used F mount 600 mm prices, and maybe a bigger one than the Z 800 mm PF.

I like the smaller size of the Z 800 mm PF and have used mine both handheld and on a tripod. It also works well with the Z 1.4x TC and decently with the Z 2x TC.

It's a little long for my kayak cockpit, so I have been using the Z 400 f4.5 and Z 2x TC in the kayak. Not as good as the Z 800 mm PF, but decent and much smaller.

The Z 800 mm PF works pretty well for travel. I have traveled with it and a Z9 (with other lenses and a second body) in a Mindshift Backlight 36L backpack. No issues taking that on a regular jet and I was even able to carry it onboard an Air Canada Dash-8 turbo prop variant (the backpack fit under the seat in front of me).

I do a lot of bird photography where the Z 800 mm PF is quite useful, and not just for small birds. I have also used it for marine mammals from a zodiac. It pairs nicely with my Z9. Have not tried it yet with the Z8. I tend to put the Z 800 mm PF on the Z9 and a shorter lens (Z 400 f4.5 or the Z 100-400) on the Z8.

I recently sold my 600/4e FL for the 800/6.3 PF and the PF is a gamechanger because I now have a super-tele that I can shoot hand held when a tripod isn't feasible. When I shoot small birds or bald eagles at a moderate to long distance, I use the longest lens I can handle. Attached is an example of the same image (uncropped and cropped) of a Belted Kingfisher taken handheld from a boat on a creek using my Z9. If I need something shorter, I'll switch to my 500 PF.

Attachments

• DSC_3384_767-2.jpg
    DSC_3384_767-2.jpg
    766.9 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC_3384_767-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg
    DSC_3384_767-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 90
When I first got the 800mm PF I used it to walk around and photograph small woodpeckers as they foraged on the oaks. No way this would have been possible if using a tripod to move around as they did not stay in one spot long enough to set up a tripod.

Back