Nikon 600mm w/TC refurb on Nikon USA site

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Dang.. so tempted, but thankfully it's backordered. I'm not made of money, so would have to sell all of my other lenses, and would still come up short :ROFLMAO: I like where I'm at with my lenses, so don't think I'd ever do that.

Dang.. so tempted, but thankfully it's backordered. I'm not made of money, so would have to sell all of my other lenses, and would still come up short :ROFLMAO: I like where I'm at with my lenses, so don't think I'd ever do that.

I'd sell my 600 and 200-600 to get it. The problem is, I love my Sony A1 and I'd hate to be forced to change to a Nikon body to use that wonderful lens.

If you are on waiting list for this lens and don't mind buying refurb Nikon has it on their US site for the first time as a refurb. I'm sure it will not last long. $12,400

I would never spend that amount of money for a lens with a 90-day warranty. It is bad enough that Nikon ended the 5-year warranty and reduced it to only 1 year. It cost me $1,000 to have the AF modules replaced on 18 month old 70-200mm f/2.8E and 600mm f/4E lenses.

If Nikon has no confidence in their repairs with such a short warranty period then I cannot see my trusting their work. Better to buy a used lens from a private party and one that has not needed to be repaired.

I would never spend that amount of money for a lens with a 90-day warranty. It is bad enough that Nikon ended the 5-year warranty and reduced it to only 1 year. It cost me $1,000 to have the AF modules replaced on 18 month old 70-200mm f/2.8E and 600mm f/4E lenses.

If Nikon has no confidence in their repairs with such a short warranty period then I cannot see my trusting their work. Better to buy a used lens from a private party and one that has not needed to be repaired.
Refub doesn't always mean it was repaired. All of those loaners that are sent out and and product returned for any reason can only be sold as a refurb. Not saying you should or shouldn't do anything because that is your choice. Just stating that refurb does not always mean an item needed to be repaired. I honestly would, in some cases, trust a refurb more than a new item because refurbs are individually inspected where new items are just inspected randomly on the assembly line. I have purchased 4 lens now from Nikon refurbed and have been very happy with all of them and would trust that over a private seller (unless I knew who the person was) as I would have no idea why they are selling the item. Again not trying to convince you of anything, just stating that refurbs are not just repaired items.

@MatthewK don't mind me over here...

600TC on sale.png

USBank.png

I think $11.2K is less than my $14.6K remaining limit...

...refurbs are individually inspected where new items are just inspected randomly on the assembly line...
Nikon's refurb inspections are not always what they should be. I have purchased one item from Nikon Refurb site: a D500. After a day or two a large dark line started showing up in photos. I took it to my local camera repair who told me to return it because he found a large piece of plastic wedged inside that was hitting (and damaging) the sensor. He said it appeared to be a piece of the plastic mount from a cheap kit lens. It was not miniscule; it was over half an inch long and honestly I don't know how any kind of inspection could miss it.

Some other good lens deals (though the refurb site does not let you separate Z from F) and a good deal on refurb Z8. What is NOT a good deal is refurb Z7ii, which costs a hundred bucks MORE than a brand new one with the current instant rebates!

Can't believe these are in stock, and on sale!!!! If only they allowed Breadpay and 0% financing on refurbs 😖

@nmerc_photos do it!!!!
I sat there at the checkout screen for about 30 minutes until they sold out.

Couldn't convince myself to do it. I think the 400TC+800PF combo is better in every way - except for consolidation of lenses. Swapping from the 400TC to 600TC would lose a lot of MFD and that sweet sweet f2.8.

I thought about buying it just to resell it, but I hate scalpers.

Hopefully whoever got the lens(es) ends up happy! That price was sure lucrative. In a low sales tax state my total all in was only $11,829.55.

That’s a crazy good deal in my opinion. If one had bought the 600 PF and 800 PF at full retail he or she would have paid $4800 + $6500 = $11,300 USD. That’s more than what to me is Nikon’s top lens in the lineup.

And as far as refurbs, I’ve had great success with Nikon’s Z mount refurbs. My Z9 looked brand new and has been flawless. My 14-24 looked brand new and its serial number evidenced a manufacturing timeline more recent than any 14-24 that had been reported up to that time. The only issue I have had so far was some glamour glitter on the 70-200’s focus ring. I’m obviously a fan. Good luck to those who scored on this deal!

Back