Nikon 600PF First Look Field Review!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

As a brief aside, one surprising thing to me from that is the claim, made by the author in the comments, that the FTZ adapter makes focusing less accurate. I've never seen anyone say thus before. What do people think about that?
I agree. Most people (myself included) think that, if anything, adapted glass tends to focus slightly better on Z series cameras than F series cameras. Lots of variables though...

I took my Z 600pf out today to shoot at Tempe Town Lake, AZ. Man, I was impressed and I left with the impression, I will need to buy the Z 400 f/4.5, as well. The Z 600pf had some serious reach and that's a good problem to have. This was a good review with interesting perspectives.

I agree. Most people (myself included) think that, if anything, adapted glass tends to focus slightly better on Z series cameras than F series cameras. Lots of variables though...
Personally, I've never bought into that notion. The only time I've seen any evidence of a TC having a dramatic effect on an image, is when it's reviewed by pixel peeping. I've share many pictures that garnered rave reviews and not once did anyone notice, I used a TC-2. Personally, I don't print, blow up images or make money from my photography so I don't get caught up in it. It the TC can help me get the shot I want or need, I'm putting it into the "game". I'm sorry, it was made for a reason. Is it better on the Z series over the F series? Perhaps. (As a disclaimer, I'm just a hobbyist photographer since, 1975).

Hmm - yeah, I suppose it is. I think I was expecting it to be a little closer to 500PF pricing, just a bit higher - like $4200 or so, maybe $4300. After using it, I think it's worth it - the thing is really fun :)
Steve, I've had it for a month now and it feels perfect in my hands. Just 4.3 lbs with my Z7II and a little more with the Z9. The images are clean and I don't think the 6.3 is a deal breaker because my higher ISO images, also clean up great. So many of Nikons great lenses start at $2300 with 1/2 the focal range or less than the Z 600pf. It's nonsensical for people to expect the Z 600pf to priced like the Z100-600 (which is not a prime). Even the Plena starts at $2500 and it's just 85mm at $800 more than the Z180-600mm.

Back