Nikon 70-180 Official Announcement / Discussion Thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Steve

Admin
Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
In addition the the new 180-600mm, Nikon has also announced the new 70-180 2.8. We saw the lens in person and although I didn't have time to really try it, it seemed like a nice, compact lens at an affordable price. We may end up getting one just because the 70-200 2.8 is a little large when space is tight and it's not a focal length we use too much. Anyhow, here's the pics and release. MSRP is 1249.95 and shipping is expected in mid-July.

Photos

70-180-1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

70-180-2.jpg

70-180-3.jpg

70-180-4.jpg

Press Release

The new NIKKOR Z 70-180mm f/2.8 is approximately 40% smaller when compared to the NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8, but offers a similar versatile focal range that’s perfect for weddings, portraits, sports and video event coverage. The combination of fast f/2.8 aperture and telephoto zoom range allows the user shoot in low light scenarios like at a reception or indoor gym, but also gives flattering compression and enticing bokeh that draws attention to the subject.

Primary features of the NIKKOR Z 70-180mm f/2.8
• Creative possibilities are expanded with the constant maximum aperture of f/2.8 which provides great low light ability and smooth-looking background blur.
• Extremely compact and lightweight, weighing in at only 795 g (1.75 lbs), making it an easy lens to carry all day.
• Excellent ability for close-ups with a minimum focus distance of 0.27m (at 70mm) and 0.85m (at 180mm).
• Optimized for video with suppressed focus breathing5 and near-silent focusing. Additionally, the customizable control ring can be programmed to gradually change aperture, ISO, and focus. Because the focus position moves in accordance with the rotation angle, regardless of how fast the focus ring is turned, videographers can also control MF as intended.
• Fast autofocus with a stepping motor (STM) that supports quick focusing on moving subjects for both stills and video.
• Dust- and drip-resistant3 design with an antifouling coating on the front-most surface of the lens.
• Lens construction consists of 19 elements in 14 groups including five ED elements, one Super ED element, and three aspherical elements which help to suppress chromatic aberration and flaring.
• Use of the Z TELECONVERTER TC-1.4× or Z TELECONVERTER TC-2.0× extends the maximum focal length to 252 mm or 360 mm, respectively4. When the Z TELECONVERTER TC-2.0× is attached, the maximum reproduction ratio is 0.96⨯, which is close to life-size reproduction.

Specifications, equipment, and release dates are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.

1. Excluding tripod collar ring.
2. Based on CIPA Standard. This value is achieved when attached to a camera with full-frame/FX-format sensor, with the camera's VR function set to "NORMAL", and when zoom is set to the maximum telephoto position.
3. Complete dust- and drip-resistance is not guaranteed in all situations or under all conditions.
4. Depending on the subject, ambient lighting conditions, and the focus point selected, the camera may be unable to focus using autofocus or the focus indicator for electronic rangefinding may flicker while a teleconverter is attached.
5. Focus breathing may be noticeable depending on the distance between the lens and the subject due to the characteristics of the lens.

*SRP (Suggested Retail Price) listed only as a suggestion. Actual prices are set by dealers and are subject to change at any time.

my understanding from following the sony version of this is that it’s very respectable and a good option for someone who wants the attributes of a 70-200 f/2.8 but isn’t willing to pay the freight of the s line lens. basically how the f/4 was positioned, but you get f/2.8

These paragraphs caught my eye

Great close-ups with AF at the minimum focus distance. With the TC-2.0x, the maximum reproduction ratio is 0.96x — close to life-size reproduction.

... for close-up photography at minimum focus distance of just 0.27m (at the maximum wide-angle position). The finer AF drive enables focusing at the minimum focus distance. With the maximum aperture, users can achieve a unique soft depiction. Users can get closer and comfortably photograph their subjects with the lens’ maximum reproduction ratio of 0.48x. And with the TC-2.0x teleconverter, the maximum reproduction ratio is 0.96x – achieving images that are close to life-size reproduction.

70-180 f2.8 MTF.jpg

70-180 f2.8 Lens design.jpg

Last edited:
In addition the the new 180-600mm, Nikon has also announced the new 70-180 2.8. We saw the lens in person and although I didn't have time to really try it, it seemed like a nice, compact lens at an affordable price. We may end up getting one just because the 70-200 2.8 is a little large when space is tight and it's not a focal length we use too much. Anyhow, here's the pics and release. MSRP is 1249.95 and shipping is expected in mid-July.

Photos

View attachment 63865

View attachment 63866

View attachment 63867

View attachment 63868

Press Release

The new NIKKOR Z 70-180mm f/2.8 is approximately 40% smaller when compared to the NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8, but offers a similar versatile focal range that’s perfect for weddings, portraits, sports and video event coverage. The combination of fast f/2.8 aperture and telephoto zoom range allows the user shoot in low light scenarios like at a reception or indoor gym, but also gives flattering compression and enticing bokeh that draws attention to the subject.

Primary features of the NIKKOR Z 70-180mm f/2.8
• Creative possibilities are expanded with the constant maximum aperture of f/2.8 which provides great low light ability and smooth-looking background blur.
• Extremely compact and lightweight, weighing in at only 795 g (1.75 lbs), making it an easy lens to carry all day.
• Excellent ability for close-ups with a minimum focus distance of 0.27m (at 70mm) and 0.85m (at 180mm).
• Optimized for video with suppressed focus breathing5 and near-silent focusing. Additionally, the customizable control ring can be programmed to gradually change aperture, ISO, and focus. Because the focus position moves in accordance with the rotation angle, regardless of how fast the focus ring is turned, videographers can also control MF as intended.
• Fast autofocus with a stepping motor (STM) that supports quick focusing on moving subjects for both stills and video.
• Dust- and drip-resistant3 design with an antifouling coating on the front-most surface of the lens.
• Lens construction consists of 19 elements in 14 groups including five ED elements, one Super ED element, and three aspherical elements which help to suppress chromatic aberration and flaring.
• Use of the Z TELECONVERTER TC-1.4× or Z TELECONVERTER TC-2.0× extends the maximum focal length to 252 mm or 360 mm, respectively4. When the Z TELECONVERTER TC-2.0× is attached, the maximum reproduction ratio is 0.96⨯, which is close to life-size reproduction.

Specifications, equipment, and release dates are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.

1. Excluding tripod collar ring.
2. Based on CIPA Standard. This value is achieved when attached to a camera with full-frame/FX-format sensor, with the camera's VR function set to "NORMAL", and when zoom is set to the maximum telephoto position.
3. Complete dust- and drip-resistance is not guaranteed in all situations or under all conditions.
4. Depending on the subject, ambient lighting conditions, and the focus point selected, the camera may be unable to focus using autofocus or the focus indicator for electronic rangefinding may flicker while a teleconverter is attached.
5. Focus breathing may be noticeable depending on the distance between the lens and the subject due to the characteristics of the lens.

*SRP (Suggested Retail Price) listed only as a suggestion. Actual prices are set by dealers and are subject to change at any time.
Looks a fantastic lens, but I imagine the wait will be long seeing as how there are some people still waiting for their copy of the 600mm f4 TC lens.

Looks a fantastic lens, but I imagine the wait will be long seeing as how there are some people still waiting for their copy of the 600mm f4 TC lens.
I doubt this lens, probably made by Tamron, poses quite the manufacturing challenge of the 600mm f4 TC. I imagine it will be readily available from release date.

It’s been such a long awaited lens & going by the reviews of people who have managed to get their hands on it seems to be ticking an awful lot of boxes.
Even that YouTuber who hates Nikon & does the “sniff test” says it’s a great lens!! :)

"...the Z 70-180mm f/2.8 has an excellent maximum magnification of 0.48x, which is close enough that many lens companies would cheat and call it a macro lens.....pleasantly surprised to see that the Z 70-180mm f/2.8 is compatible with both of Nikon’s Z-series teleconverters, which will allow you to turn the lens into a 100-250mm f/4 (with the 1.4x TC) and 140-400mm f/5.6 (with the 2x TC). Either of these options could be very appealing for close-up photography, considering that teleconverters also improve a lens’s maximum magnification. With the 2x TC, this would essentially count as a macro lens (0.96x magnification is basically 1:1)."

Call me old fashioned, but what with two versions already out there of the 70-200 f/2.8 for both f mount & Z users, what’s the point of this lens?
I’m sure I’m missing something, but can someone explain it to me? 💁💁💁💁

Call me old fashioned, but what with two versions already out there of the 70-200 f/2.8 for both f mount & Z users, what’s the point of this lens?
I absolutely love this lens and will offer you a few reasons why it's a winner for nature photographers. At the end of this, I'll share a few pictures...
1: Why this lens? I've owned two 70-200mm f2.8 Z lenses as well as F-mount VRI, VRII, and E. All of these lenses are premier Nikon optics, and each commanded a premier price. If I were a photojournalist or wedding photographer, these lens are worth their weight in gold. To a nature photographer, they take up a lot of bag space and are expensive. If you want to carry a few long lenses, the loss of real estate in the bag is significant... So, I have since sold my 70-200Z and 100-400S to make room for the combo of either the 400 f4.5 + 800PF or 400 f4.5 + 180-600. By carrying these two lenses, there is no room for the 70-200. In contrast to the latter, I can pack the 70-180 vertically in either my ThinkTank Backlight 36L or F-Stop Tilopa w/ LgPro or XLPro ICU.
2. The 70-180 is a .5X magnification lens... near macro. With a 1.4x converter it is .75X, as a result... I don't have the need for the 105 micro lens... fewer smaller lenses mean more space for my longer glass.
3. 67mm filter thread... this is the same size filter thread as my Nikon 17-28mm f2.8. Like the 70-180 f2.8, my wide-angle lens has an amazing price to performance ratio.
4. By the time I stop the 70-180 down to f5.6, there is no difference between its output and the 70-200 f2.8S.
5. To underscore all of this.. the compact size allows me to configure two bags for two different uses. For travel and long hikes, I can pack my Z9 w/ attached 180-600, Z8 w/ attached 400 f4.5, Z6II (detached), 70-180 f2.8, and 17-28 f2.8 in my FStop Tilopa w/ XL ProICU.
For wildlife specific trips when I need my longest and sharpest lenses, I can pack I can pack my Z9 w/ attached 800PF w/hood in shooting position, Z8 w/ attached 400 f4.5, Z6II (detached), 70-180 f2.8, and 17-28 f2.8 in my ThinkTank Backlight 36L. If I had a 70-200 f2.8S, the 400 f4.5 would not be able to join me on these shoots if I wanted the longer lenses.
Here are some sample pictures...
regards,
bruce
IceVignetteZ62_0257-Edit.jpg
Frost Vignette 2Z8L_7536-Edit.jpg
Morning LightZ8L_7508-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
I absolutely love this lens and will offer you a few reasons why it's a winner for nature photographers. At the end of this, I'll share a few pictures...
1: Why this lens? I've owned two 70-200mm f2.8 Z lenses as well as F-mount VRI, VRII, and E. All of these lenses are premier Nikon optics, and each commanded a premier price. If I were a photojournalist or wedding photographer, these lens are worth their weight in gold. To a nature photographer, they take up a lot of bag space and are expensive. If you want to carry a few long lenses, the loss of real estate in the bag is significant... So, I have since sold my 70-200Z and 100-400S to make room for the combo of either the 400 f4.5 + 800PF or 400 f4.5 + 180-600. By carrying these two lenses, there is no room for the 70-200. In contrast to the latter, I can pack the 70-180 vertically in either my ThinkTank Backlight 36L or F-Stop Tilopa w/ LgPro or XLPro ICU.
2. The 70-180 is a .5X magnification lens... near macro. With a 1.4x converter it is .75X, as a result... I don't have the need for the 105 micro lens... fewer smaller lenses mean more space for my longer glass.
3. 67mm filter thread... this is the same size filter thread as my Nikon 17-28mm f2.8. Like the 70-180 f2.8, my wide-angle lens has an amazing price to performance ratio.
4. By the time I stop the 70-180 down to f5.6, there is no difference between its output and the 70-200 f2.8S.
5. To underscore all of this.. the compact size allows me to configure two bags for two different uses. For travel and long hikes, I can pack my Z9 w/ attached 180-600, Z8 w/ attached 400 f4.5, Z6II (detached), 70-180 f2.8, and 17-28 f2.8 in my FStop Tilopa w/ XL ProICU.
For wildlife specific trips when I need my longest and sharpest lenses, I can pack I can pack my Z9 w/ attached 800PF w/hood in shooting position, Z8 w/ attached 400 f4.5, Z6II (detached), 70-180 f2.8, and 17-28 f2.8 in my ThinkTank Backlight 36L. If I had a 70-200 f2.8S, the 400 f4.5 would not be able to join me on these shoots if I wanted the longer lenses.
Here are some sample pictures...
regards,
bruceView attachment 73933View attachment 73934View attachment 73935
I asked for a reason & got it which seem to be size & price amongst other things, however, with all the other lenses that non wildlife photographer Nikon shooters out there are screaming for this wouldn’t have been at the top of the list of lenses I would have released if I were Nikon!

I asked for a reason & got it which seem to be size & price amongst other things, however, with all the other lenses that non wildlife photographer Nikon shooters out there are screaming for this wouldn’t have been at the top of the list of lenses I would have released if I were Nikon!
In your opinion, what lenses are are "Nikon shooters screaming for?"
I know people wanted a 70-200 f4 because they found the f/2.8 too large and too expensive. I think the 70-180 f2.8 fills that niche... don't you?
Regarding the lens, it was a no-brainer for Nikon because it is a Nikon/Tamron partnership. Nikon only needed to provide coating specs, motor specs, and barrel specs... Tamron then retro-fitted their pre-existing lens into a Nikon form. This lens is part of a "low price" trio that includes the 17-28 f2.8, 28-75 f2.8, and 70-180 f2.8. All three lenses share the same barrel design and a 67mm filter thread. Collectively, you can get all three for about $3500 w/out rebate incentives or $3000 w/ rebates.
I'm not a portrait or wedding photographer, but if I were, these 3 lenses combined with a Z6II or Z7II or new ZF would make for a very affordable, yet flexible package.
In my mind, it is a brilliant strategy because if you were to buy the 14-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 and Z8, you might have the best gear, but it would cost almost $10000... too much for somebody starting out.
Just my opinion...
bruce

Last edited:
Size and price.

...with all the other lenses that non wildlife photographer Nikon shooters out there are screaming for this wouldn’t have been at the top of the list of lenses I would have released if I were Nikon!
Glad you're not the CEO. I couldn't really justify the cost and/or hassle factor of the 70-200 2.8. The 70-180 was easier to swallow and it works just as well shooting indoor school sports and other non wildlife stuff on occasion. And for travel it's a lot smaller/lighter to pack along.

Unfortunately Nikons roadmap is I think just one lens away from being complete & that’s the 35mm S - line lens which quite a few people I know have been waiting for.
The reason behind my question regarding the release of the 70-180 f/2.8 lens was what with the release of the 70-200 f/2.8 VR S lens just couldn’t see the point of the 70-180 with the same aperture until the price, weight & portability were outlined in one of the responses, therefore my question has been answered!
Glad you like the lens.

Size and price.

Glad you're not the CEO. I couldn't really justify the cost and/or hassle factor of the 70-200 2.8. The 70-180 was easier to swallow and it works just as well shooting indoor school sports and other non wildlife stuff on occasion. And for travel it's a lot smaller/lighter to pack along.

So am I…. 😂 but if I had one gripe it would be that although Nikon have surpassed many wildlife shooters expectations out there over the last year or so with their roadmap & announcements just find it ridiculous that they keep releasing new lenses but just can’t keep up with the demand for orders placed for these new lenses. There are people still waiting for their copy of the Z 600mm f4 TC VR S lens which was released in November 2022, a year ago!!… 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

...I know people wanted a 70-200 f4 because they found the f/2.8 too large and too expensive. I think the 70-180 f2.8 fills that niche..
That was me exactly. I sold my 70-200 2.8G a long time ago in favor of the f4 version. I was hoping for a Z mount release but when the 70-180 2.8 came out at similar size/weight/cost it was a no brainer decision.

This lens is part of a "low price" trio that includes the 17-28 f2.8, 28-75 f2.8, and 70-180 f2.8...
You forgot to tag the 180-600 onto that list. They all add up to a pretty low cost kit that covers the whole range of focal length.

So am I…. 😂 but if I had one gripe it would be that although Nikon have surpassed many wildlife shooters expectations out there over the last year or so with their roadmap & announcements just find it ridiculous that they keep releasing new lenses but just can’t keep up with the demand for orders placed for these new lenses. There are people still waiting for their copy of the Z 600mm f4 TC VR S lens which was released in November 2022, a year ago!!… 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
but it is unlikely one has anything to do with the other. the 70-180 is a tamron design, maybe built in a tamron plant(?). these different lenses probably also were not in competition for the same resources to get to market

...There are people still waiting for their copy of the Z 600mm f4 TC VR S lens which was released in November 2022, a year ago!!… 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Actually the 600TC is the only lens that's still so badly backordered(i.e. people still waiting on orders from day one). The 400TC has been showing up in stock in various places so presumably they've caught up. It seems like there must be some sort of technical issue with the 600TC that they're struggling with. A pro friend of mine had a 600TC on order since release day. A few months ago(July?) she had an important shoot coming up so contacted a Nikon insider that she knows. He told her no way she's be getting the 600 in time but she could get a 400 in a couple of days. She changed her order and indeed had the 400 three days later.

Actually the 600TC is the only lens that's still so badly backordered(i.e. people still waiting on orders from day one). The 400TC has been showing up in stock in various places so presumably they've caught up. It seems like there must be some sort of technical issue with the 600TC that they're struggling with. A pro friend of mine had a 600TC on order since release day. A few months ago(July?) she had an important shoot coming up so contacted a Nikon insider that she knows. He told her no way she's be getting the 600 in time but she could get a 400 in a couple of days. She changed her order and indeed had the 400 three days later.
Just out of curiosity do you know where she ordered it from?
How can a pro Nikon shooter who placed her order on day one still be waiting for it?

Back