Nikon Acquires RED

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

unless they are processing it on die, which i doubt, i don’t think that’s an issue because gs doesn’t intrinsically get data off sensor any faster afaik.

also, i doubt they do a full merge of the two images, i suspect the second image is mostly used to bolster the color data of the first, so areas that were not full unions you’d probably just throw away

unless they are processing it on die, which i doubt, i don’t think that’s an issue because gs doesn’t intrinsically get data off sensor any faster afaik.

also, i doubt they do a full merge of the two images, i suspect the second image is mostly used to bolster the color data of the first, so areas that were not full unions you’d probably just throw away
From memory, you are correct, the second stream is lower resolution which is overlayed I think on the lower exposure areas. They implemented it in the new/latest Raptor X to get to 18+ stop, but also from memory, and maybe just marketing-speak, they attributed the ability to the new global sensor.

i was reading about it somewhere but i neglected to bookmark it so i’m just going by my recollection of what was said plus my interpretation based on what i know of how this stuff works, so ymmv 😂

True to form, NR is out of its depth on this subject, besides recycling 3rd hand press copy. A thread on REDUser forum raises some interesting points, notably by the respected industry expert, Phil Holland.

The answers by Keiji Oishi in interviews suggest he is responsible for notable features in the Zed cameras, video especially besides the strategy of regular firmware updates. See parallel thread. He's appears to be a wise choice by Nikon HQ, especially as they will be monitoring funds invest into their new subsidiary.

Nikon must be fully cognisant of the company that they now own in its entirety, including its penetration into and profile in the movie market, alongside the clout of the RED brand. Nikon's plans will also include the US defense and aerospace industries etc

Acquisition finalized and the first thing they announce:

"Upon RED becoming a wholly owned subsidiary, RED’s President Jarred Land became a close Advisor to the company, along with RED’s founder James Jannard. Keiji Oishi, of Nikon’s Imaging Business Unit, assumed the role of CEO and Tommy Rios, Executive Vice President of RED, moved into the role of Co-CEO." https://nikonrumors.com/2024/04/12/...n-of-red-appoints-a-new-ceo.aspx/#more-192047

Although they're not changing the product lineup for now, I think we have our answer on whether RED will continue to operate the same way and function as an independent subsidiary. Nikon bringing in one of their guys as CEO from day one with the RED founder and CEO stepping aside to advise. Should be interesting to follow!

Last edited:
These images of Nikon's inventory supporting sports photographers at the Tokyo 2021 Olympics highlight how far the company's Imaging Division has advanced within 3 years.
Their line up for action genres now includes the 2 high-end Z MILCs with top end video plus their battery of industry leading Telephotos.

We're living in interesting times.....

Interesting times. Oishi does indeed sound a wise choice by Tokyo; the chemistry between the two engineering cultures is good to hear, and that the Z9 technology continues to garner kudos on unanticipated fronts.

A RED camera in Z-mount is probably going to appear sooner than these guys admit. Selling more Nikkors is one of Nikon's priority aims.

As anticipated when announced, RED >< Nikon is certainly a meeting of 2 very different cultures!

More interesting details from the NAB interview. A completely new, aka integrated hardware will take 3+ years, but integrated features in Nikon software for Z9/Z8 should arrive sooner

“[That is currently] under investigation. Please expect something, not soon, but in the near future. Some input came already from RED which is really valuable. We want to try that,” Ikegami explains.

Last edited:
Not really a surprise. His departure memo was positive and well worded. I'm sure there are lots of places he can work with start-up or fast growth new tech companies. His role with Nikon/Red was not really going to be a leadership position but rather a staff Finance/Accounting person responsible for a small group after a major conversion to the Nikon accounting and finance system. That sounds like a big headache with no future or upside.

I'd expect marketing, HR, and technology departures as well. Red is a very small company and most of those functions would not have need for more than 1-2 people - not staffs or departments of any size. I'd expect Nikon/Red will go to great lengths to maintain the engineers, design, and operational staff.

In talking about the decision to sell Red, Jarred Land stated they lacked the ability to scale up manufacturing required the lower end/high growth part of the market. They also were completely unaware of the number of changing product components that would impact their "trade-up" program. They found they were losing money on every "trade-up" camera so it was essentially a free hardware upgrade at below cost. That's the kind of thing a large company would have anticipated.

Not really a surprise. His departure memo was positive and well worded. I'm sure there are lots of places he can work with start-up or fast growth new tech companies. His role with Nikon/Red was not really going to be a leadership position but rather a staff Finance/Accounting person responsible for a small group after a major conversion to the Nikon accounting and finance system. That sounds like a big headache with no future or upside.

I'd expect marketing, HR, and technology departures as well. Red is a very small company and most of those functions would not have need for more than 1-2 people - not staffs or departments of any size. I'd expect Nikon/Red will go to great lengths to maintain the engineers, design, and operational staff.

In talking about the decision to sell Red, Jarred Land stated they lacked the ability to scale up manufacturing required the lower end/high growth part of the market. They also were completely unaware of the number of changing product components that would impact their "trade-up" program. They found they were losing money on every "trade-up" camera so it was essentially a free hardware upgrade at below cost. That's the kind of thing a large company would have anticipated.

Agree. Red was more of an IP company (troll) than a camera company, and now the IP sits with someone who can actually use it. In all my years working with others and on sets, I rarely if ever saw a Red. Even less than BMC.

Back