Nikon AF-S G 500/600mm f4 w/TC 1.4 III on Z Cameras

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Whiskeyman

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I did a quick look and found a reference that the TC 1.4 E III will work with the FTZ II adapter on Nikon's website. Or am I reading this wrong and the TC 1.4 E III isn't compatible with the FTZ adapter?

That being said, does anyone have any/much experience with using the AF-S G 500mm and 600mm lenses on a Z9? On any Nikon Z camera?. If so, please share your experiences and impressions.

That being said, does anyone have any/much experience with using the AF-S G 500mm and 600mm lenses on a Z9? On any Nikon Z camera?. If so, please share your experiences and impressions.
I use my 600mm f/4 E FL (and the 600mm f/4 G before it) with the FTZ adapter on my Z6 II all the time and the combo works great. I've used it with all three current F mount TCs and the lens plus TC combos work great on Z cameras, in fact the 600mm f/4 plus TC-20 E III and TC-17 work much better on my Z6 II than it does DSLRs including the D5/D6, D850 and D500 as you retain full AF capabilities and all focus points in the viewfinder with the f/8 lens plus TC combo which isn't true for DSLRs even the flagship models.

I also regularly use both my 500mm PF and 300mm PF with TCs and the FTZ adapter on my Z6 II. Another F mount lens that gets a lot of TC use on my Z6 II is the 105mm AF-S macro lens which takes a TC very nicely for greater than 1:1 macro work.

Just purchased a Z9 from Nikon and expect these combos will work just as well on that camera.

I have never heard of an issue using an f-mount TC with an f-mount lens on an FTZ or FTZii. I think the confusion is because one can't use the z-mount TC's behind an FTZ or FTZii, which would otherwise seem to be a logical combination. I've kept my 500PF, but would really like to find a reasonably priced 1.4x f-mount, and don't want to pay $400 to get one just for one lens.

I am using it on the 300 f/2.8 vr1 and a z9 with no issues, other than one heavy lens lol
I use my 600mm f/4 E FL (and the 600mm f/4 G before it) with the FTZ adapter on my Z6 II all the time and the combo works great. I've used it with all three current F mount TCs and the lens plus TC combos work great on Z cameras, in fact the 600mm f/4 plus TC-20 E III and TC-17 work much better on my Z6 II than it does DSLRs including the D5/D6, D850 and D500 as you retain full AF capabilities and all focus points in the viewfinder with the f/8 lens plus TC combo which isn't true for DSLRs even the flagship models.

I also regularly use both my 500mm PF and 300mm PF with TCs and the FTZ adapter on my Z6 II. Another F mount lens that gets a lot of TC use on my Z6 II is the 105mm AF-S macro lens which takes a TC very nicely for greater than 1:1 macro work.

Just purchased a Z9 from Nikon and expect these combos will work just as well on that camera.
I have never heard of an issue using an f-mount TC with an f-mount lens on an FTZ or FTZii. I think the confusion is because one can't use the z-mount TC's behind an FTZ or FTZii, which would otherwise seem to be a logical combination. I've kept my 500PF, but would really like to find a reasonably priced 1.4x f-mount, and don't want to pay $400 to get one just for one lens.
Thank you, Mike, Dave And RugglesZ9!

Back