Nikon D500

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It really depends on what you like to shoot and your budget. The D500 would be nice with the Sigma long zoom and the 500mm PF 5.6 is a bargain nowadays in used, like new condition. Maybe slowly switch to mirrorless if that fits a plan.
Be Well,
VinnyH

I have D500 and Sigma 150-600 contemporary which I used for several years before getting the Nikon 500 mm F5.6 PF. I still have the Sigma and it shoots well but the 500 PF is lighter, focuses faster and is sharper. I have looked at getting the Nikon 500 mm F4 but the weight is the reason I haven't done it. According to Photography life article the 500 PF is as sharp as the 500 F4 but the obvious difference is the ability to use the 500 F4 in less light. I am very happy with the D500 and the 500mm PF.

Like everyone else has stated….it depends. BUT….I have shot the D3400, and still have a D500. If you are shooting wildlife, sports, etc., you’ll be amazed at what the D500 can do, compared to the D3400. Faster and more accurate autofocus, 10 frames/second, customization of buttons…. the D500 remains one of the better wildlife options. There are the obvious options also if you go to mirrorless, but in the DSLR world, you can’t go wrong with the D500, or it’s big brother the D850.
The old saying is to prioritize glass over the bodies, but I’d consider the D500 and a 500PF. A great wildlife combo.

One final thought: there will be a learning curve to going to a D500 or more from what you have more. It’s different to setup and use than what you’re used to and will take practice.

Finally a topic I can contribute to, as a d500 user. I also shoot with a d7200 which is a generation or two newer than the d3400. The d500 is way better than the d7200 in AF, buffer, iso, etc. I think the dynamic range and white balance is better on the d500. It also has an articulating touch screen which my d7200 does not. I really miss this on the d7200.

I don't shoot long bursts with the d500 but I'm able to get many more good quality choices in a sequence.

I echo what others say about the 500mm pf. After I bought a used one, my 150-600mm g2 tamron almost never goes out. The advantage of getting a 500mm pf is that many folks are using it very successfully with the Z9 or z8. It bridges the switch to mirrorless while one catches up financially after buying a mirrorless body. This is my plan.
Personally I wouldn't get a 500mm f4, I'd get the lightweight 500mm pf, unless you really covet the low light performance.
But it all depends on what and how you shoot.

I currently own a D3400 and Sigma 150-600 Contemporary. Should i upgrade to the D500 or sabe for a 500 f4?

This is actually a no-brainer... get the D500.

The Sigma 150-600mm C can be a surprisingly sharp lens when used within it's limits but it is a f6.3 at the long end and most DSLR AF doesn't really like slower than f5.6 lenses.
The D3400's 11 point AF was simplistic even back in 2005 when it launched with the D200 ...
The D500's AF is pretty much the best ever put on a DSLR and it is a champ when it comes to the f6.3 lenses.

So, only for that the D500 is worth it as you'll feel a major boost in performance. When you add the speed, buffer, build quality and ergonomics it is a no-brainer.

This is actually a no-brainer... get the D500.

The Sigma 150-600mm C can be a surprisingly sharp lens when used within it's limits but it is a f6.3 at the long end and most DSLR AF doesn't really like slower than f5.6 lenses.
The D3400's 11 point AF was simplistic even back in 2005 when it launched with the D200 ...
The D500's AF is pretty much the best ever put on a DSLR and it is a champ when it comes to the f6.3 lenses.

So, only for that the D500 is worth it as you'll feel a major boost in performance. When you add the speed, buffer, build quality and ergonomics it is a no-brainer.
Given the D3400's vintage, yes, a D500 would be a major major upgrade for anyone doing any sort of action shooting. For that matter, one could also consider the less expensive D7500. I have both. The D500 is better, but by less than maybe you'd think ... if the OP is thinking mirrorless body in the future that's something to consider; buy the cheaper D7500.

Also, the 500 pf pairs splendidly with the D500 or D7500.

Minor point, unless you go all the way to an f/4 lens, some of the edge cross sensors on the D500 aren't available. It's still a great AF though.

I currently own a D3400 and Sigma 150-600 Contemporary. Should i upgrade to the D500 or sabe for a 500 f4?
The D500 is still an excellent camera for wildlife and sports photography. Nikon designed the D500 in parallel with the D5, to deliver pro level performance at reasonable cost in a DSLR with the D5 Autofocus technology.
Designing the D500 as a Pro camera sets it apart from other DX ILCs (most FX also), because its custom menus empower what's become known as the Handover focus method.

The D850 followed as Nikon's Centennial camera, distinguished by its high resolution sensor, compared to the D5-D500 pairing.

As for guidance on setup, a cadre of members here on BCG are generous with advice and solutions to questions etc.
You will also do well to buy a copy of Steve's ebook - on DSLR Autofocus. Also Thom Hogan's detailed D500 ebook
{Edited}

Last edited:
Better to invest in a used D850 if planning on staying with f-mount lenses which are very inexpensive to buy used as compared to the S-mount lenses. You can use the D850 with your current Sigma lens and evaluate the overall performance before doing anything.

I owned the D500 and the D850 and preferred the D850 which could be used in DX mode for a 19MP image size or in full frame mode. Much easier to track and photography birds in flight with a full frame viewfinder.

Better to invest in a used D850 if planning on staying with f-mount lenses which are very inexpensive to buy used as compared to the S-mount lenses. You can use the D850 with your current Sigma lens and evaluate the overall performance before doing anything.

I owned the D500 and the D850 and preferred the D850 which could be used in DX mode for a 19MP image size or in full frame mode. Much easier to track and photography birds in flight with a full frame viewfinder.
I went from a D500 and D810 to two D850s. I preferred the D850s over the other two bodies for a variety of reasons, some of which you touched on, above. The one thing I didn't like was the slower native 7 fps frame rate of the D850 versus 10 fps for the D500. This could be mostly offset by adding a battery grip to achieve 9 fps. However, adding the grip made each heavier than a D5. :)

Last edited:
I've owned a somewhat similar (to D3400) D7100, as well as a D500. While I've since moved on to D850s and then to the Z8 and Z9, I still own the 500 PF and 500 f/4E, which I use with the Z bodies. I love the 500E for its outstanding IQ, f/4 aperture and beautiful bokeh. Also, it loses little sharpness when paired with a 1.4x TC making it a 700mm at f/5.6. However, based on my experience, the 500 PF is almost as sharp and irresistibly smaller, lighter, cheaper and much easier to handhold than the 500E. Its only real drawback versus the 500E is its f/5.6 aperture, which drops to f/8 when adding a 1.4x TC. I've been able to keep them both, and choose the one that best fits a given situation. In your case, you might be well served by saving some money by getting a used 500 PF (instead of 500E), which in my opinion is a substantial step up optically from the Sigma, and then replace the D3400 with the D500.

Consider a D 7500. Much lower cost than D 500, big upgrade in performance from D 3400, light weight. Works well with the Sigma. I have the D 7500 and the D 500 and unless I need blazing speed, the D7500 does fine.

Consider a D 7500. Much lower cost than D 500, big upgrade in performance from D 3400, light weight. Works well with the Sigma. I have the D 7500 and the D 500 and unless I need blazing speed, the D7500 does fine.
Also consider a used D7200 nice performance and two card slots.

So I would agree that when both were new, there was a significant difference between the price of a D7500 and a D500. I started back into the DSLR world with the D7500. Great camera…I got some really nice shots with it. I then moved up to the D500 which was quite a bit more than the D7500. But in my mind the increased performance made it well worth the cost. That was 2017.

Fast forward to 2024. The D500 is only available used, while you can still purchase the D7500 and D850 new from Nikon. Looking around the net that price difference between the D7500 and D500, is much lower. All things being equal (used D500 and D7500 in similar conditions) the D500 is the better buy IMHO based on what it can do over the D7500. I would also consider the D850. Pricier, lower FPS, but FF and gorgeous files.

Personally I wouldn’t consider any other DX dslr than the d500. You will get the best possible in the DX format. Unless you are on a really tight budget skip all the 7k series bodies. I had both the d500 and d850 for years and I have to say going full frame was a game changer. That being said the d850 is heavier and more expensive and you only get 7fps for burst without the grip which adds more weight. The 500pf is a no brainer, skip the 500f4 it is heavy and only a hair better than the 500pf. I sold all my dslr gear over the past year and switched to the z8 and s glass. I am happy I did.

I am all Z now. I had 2 D500's great cameras my 3 favorite lenses for birding with them were Tamron 150-600 G2, Sigma 150-600 sport later replace with Sigma 600 sport. After I got a D850 and D6 I sold off the D500's. I never had the Sigma Contemporary so no personal experience with one on a D500.

When I moved all to Z gear the last two things I sold were my D850 in dx mode it had a D500 built into it and better dynamic range and I had the battery grip with the EN-EL 18 battery same as D6 and that gave it a faster frame rate. The last f mount lens to be sold was Nikon 600 f/4E.

Back