Nikon D850 and 200 - 500 mm F5.6 Nikon Lens: Mirror cleaning and general checkup plus calibration of lens to body

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am sure it was just a UPS glitch. Let us know about your D500 when you get it today.
Best,
Jimmy
UPS listed the exception as a railroad equipment malfunction. It is supposed to arrive later today, but I am still not certain about that as it did not say that it was out for delivery. One more question. Did Nikon include a detailed work order with the camera explaining what they ended up adjusting or correcting, or was it just a generic invoice saying "Premium Maintenance" and all is back to spec.?

--Ken

Unfortunately it was just a check off list. So as I mentioned I wish they would have told me what the mirror issue was. A beautiful as the repaired mirror looks compared to what it looked like before; I would have quested they just replaced the mirror. Since I can’t imagine being able to clean it up so well. I will try to reach out to them to find out. Best, Jimmy

Unfortunately it was just a check off list. So as I mentioned I wish they would have told me what the mirror issue was. A beautiful as the repaired mirror looks compared to what it looked like before; I would have quested they just replaced the mirror. Since I can’t imagine being able to clean it up so well. I will try to reach out to them to find out. Best, Jimmy
Its funny that you can buy a monitor and get a factory calibration sheet included with it, your auto mechanic will detail what they repaired or replaced, but many camera repair places share almost no information about what they did. Granted some folks may not care at all, but I imagine others might want to know to help them troubleshoot any minor problems they may have been experiencing.

--Ken

I guess I do have one other concern. I used UPS ground which Nikon recommended and I insured the body for the current replacement value of $2500.00. The total shipping with $13.00 UPS packaging fee per Nikon instruction was $100.00! I was shocked but I was not going to gamble that the package would get lost without insurance. Yet Nikon charged me $17.00 for UPS ground!! Perhaps they gave some sort of insurance that would cover it if lost???? Hopefully. I wasn’t going to mention this but the discrepancy was so large.

I guess I do have one other concern. I used UPS ground which Nikon recommended and I insured the body for the current replacement value of $2500.00. The total shipping with $13.00 UPS packaging fee per Nikon instruction was $100.00! I was shocked but I was not going to gamble that the package would get lost without insurance. Yet Nikon charged me $17.00 for UPS ground!! Perhaps they gave some sort of insurance that would cover it if lost???? Hopefully. I wasn’t going to mention this but the discrepancy was so large.
Two thoughts. First, the UPS/FedEx rates we pay and the rates that a company like Nikon pays are radically different. Second, I suspect that Nikon self-insures their packages. They can afford to do so given their volume. You and I do not have the luxury. I know that Nikon either reduces or covers NPS shipping (and/or upgrades it from Ground), but it would be nice if they passed along their rates to customers and offer that as a shipping option. Or they should at least cover the return shipping charge which is customary for many companies when you send an item in for service. In either event, if they do as good of a job on my D500 as they did on your D850 then I'll be happy.

--Ken

The D500 just arrived. Well packed and more Styrofoam peanuts than I know what to do with. The body looks the same and the packing slip only showed check marks in all of the columns; no comments except for a shutter count and a sign off. Will fire it up in a bit and see how things look.

--Ken

Last edited:
Update:
I reached out to Nikon for more details about the service done on my D850, especially the mirror. They replied twice, once that they received my request with a note that they would find the person who did the service and detials.
Here is the detailed report:
"

Good Morning Jim,

Thank you for contacting Nikon.

It appears that there was nothing "wrong" with your D850. A cleaning/inspection of the mirror was all that was needed to resolve the issue that you were having.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reply to this email or contact us back at 1-800-645-6687. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 9am-8pm EST.

So I am very impressed with Nikon service and feedback to my request for more information.

I guess, in spite of my care with the camera and lens changing the mirror will likely need periodic cleaning. I must say that I did have the camera out on some cold days and then brought it into our warm home. Perhaps that had something to do with it.

Comments?

Best,

Jimmy

So I am very impressed with Nikon service and feedback to my request for more information.

I guess, in spite of my care with the camera and lens changing the mirror will likely need periodic cleaning. I must say that I did have the camera out on some cold days and then brought it into our warm home. Perhaps that had something to do with it.

Comments?

Best,

Jimmy
If you subject your gear to temp/humidity changes, it's best not to change lenses until the gear acclimates. If condensation is allowed to get inside, it can adhere debris to the sensor or mirror. The mirror is the closest part (sensor is behind the shutter which does provide some protection except in the Z9) so it'll get condensation first.

Thank you! No lens changes occurred. Just brought into warm house after being out in temps ---- 0 F to mostly 20's as a range. I do recall seeing fog on the front UV filter after I cam in the house. This scenario is only a guess since I am so careful otherwise. Just curious if others find they need to have their mirror cleaned q 2 - 3 years or more or less often. Just wonder if this is what to expect. I have had many SLR's with mirrors and never had that problem and used them with more vigor and for years.
Thanks again for the feedback.
Jimmy

I've never had to clean a mirror. When I bring gear in from the cold, it's either in a camera bag or otherwise wrapped in a comforter until it's had time to warm up. I will blow off the mirror from time to time but never touch it. Not sure if that is still a thing, but I remember in the film days you didn't dare touch the mirror.

I reached out to Nikon for more details about the service done on my D850, especially the mirror. They replied twice, once that they received my request with a note that they would find the person who did the service and detials.
When I contacted them, they were not able to offer any additional information other than to say whatever they had to say was on the slip that was enclosed with the camera. And all the slip had were check boxes down the list and a shutter count that was written in. Not questioning their work, but I do wish they could let you know if things were out of adjustment more than what is considered normal. Information like that can be helpful if you are trying to problem solve an issue.

--Ken

Hello,
I have a Nikon D850 body that I purchased new when the camera was first released. I just noticed that the mirror is very foggy. So, I am looking for advice about where to send. If I send to Nikon will they check over the entire body and clean the sensor, etc? How do I save my settings before I send the body in? Also, I thought this would be a good opportunity for them to calibrate my lens with the body since I was always curious if the focus was accurate as it should be.
What should I expect the cost to be (not including shipping)? How long does it take to do this?
Is there a better alternative?

Thank you all for your advice!

Hello,
I have a Nikon D850 body that I purchased new when the camera was first released. I just noticed that the mirror is very foggy. So, I am looking for advice about where to send. If I send to Nikon will they check over the entire body and clean the sensor, etc? How do I save my settings before I send the body in? Also, I thought this would be a good opportunity for them to calibrate my lens with the body since I was always curious if the focus was accurate as it should be.
What should I expect the cost to be (not including shipping)? How long does it take to do this?
Is there a better alternative?

Thank you all for your advice!

If you are still wondering about the fog this blog is a discussion about moisture in cameras, what it can do to a camera and drying them out. Lots of other good information too.

Back